Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #31
TJA7
I airball my layups

TJA7 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Gametime Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
[/b]

The key is to shoot good shots... and to do that, you have to be able to get good shots for yourself. Kobe can get good shots whenever he wants, he is jut an idiot and thinks he can make anything from anywhere over anyone. Lebron takes good shots, D wade takes good shots, D-Rose, Stephen curry... most good scorers get good looks and take good shots. Everybody jacks up a bad shot every now and then if they are feeling it or towards the end of the shotclock... but you can't use Kobe as an example. We all know he can be an extremely inefficient player, and the name of the game is to be as efficient as possible. Most people just aren't able to (or at least think they aren't able to) create good shots for themselves, hence the passive tendencies. Nobody wants to be the guy taking bad shots... but if you take a good shot, nobody has the right to be upset with you shooting (they still might be tho because everyone wants to get theirs... that's just the way it goes). I see guys turning down good looks tho, and you just can't do that. Also, when you get those guys who pass you the ball and say go to work, don't think "F this guy I don't play that way." Instead, think to yourself "Ok, now not only do I have the green light for myself, now others are giving me the greenlight... This is great!"

Good players don't have to sacrifice... And once again, Kobe is the exception to this. You know when he is sacrificing his scoring. Most players will just make the correct play. You don't talk much about Lebron sacrificing his scoring because he's always making the correct play: looking to score and then dishing it to the open guy. Kobe tho, he'll just come out and play like "I'm going to play the team game tonight."... and it just shouldn't be like that. If you have 40 really good looks for yourself, then you should take 40 shots... but you won't ever get 40 good looks... out of those 40 plays, maybe 20 will be end up being good looks... and maybe 5 of those 20 you will have a good look, but a teammate has a great look... and then the other 15 you make the correct play and dish it to your teammate... You end up taking 15 shots while looking to score 40 times. Hopefully you scored 7+ times... but we all have off days.

I'm not just saying as soon as you get the ball look to score... I mean we all know the idiots like that and they are terrible and no fun to play with (usually very turnover prone). I can't tell you how many times a guy will get the ball in the post and immediately put the ball on the floor and try to score... that' going to be a turnover half the time cus they have no idea where anyone on the floor is. Survey the floor, look for cutters, look for good areas to attack. Sometimes it will be there immediately and that's when you can't hesitate. Dirk is great at that. He'll catch the ball and if his man is giving him too much space, he just lets it fly. You just have to approach the game like everytime you catch the ball you are ready to score... it's just that simple if you want to be a good scorer.

Spot on! Great Post
TJA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #32
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

nice tips swaggin, but aren't u a kobe fan lol. But anyway now I am competing against one of my teammates for minutes. He is short, has a good handle, crafty and has a good jumpshot. I know I need to work on my handles and stuff but I feel that I will be better playing the 2. First because I am bigger, longer, more athletic, also a good ball handler, better rebounder, and faster. The coach has fallen in love with this kid and he just transfered from a school were he barely got any playing time. It just makes me mad and I am going to be very aggressive when playing him in practice. What are some ways I can outshine him, and lock him up on D.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #33
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

My main problem is I never change speeds, every moment I'm going full speed. It usually puts me out of control and tires me quickly as well as make me easy to guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
nice tips swaggin, but aren't u a kobe fan lol. But anyway now I am competing against one of my teammates for minutes. He is short, has a good handle, crafty and has a good jumpshot. I know I need to work on my handles and stuff but I feel that I will be better playing the 2. First because I am bigger, longer, more athletic, also a good ball handler, better rebounder, and faster. The coach has fallen in love with this kid and he just transfered from a school were he barely got any playing time. It just makes me mad and I am going to be very aggressive when playing him in practice. What are some ways I can outshine him, and lock him up on D.

What I do when I really need to lock a kid in is I get angry, very angry on defense. Not stupid angry where you start hacking and fouling, but temperate aggression where everytime he makes a move to go by you you throw a chest right into his shoulder. You have to be very physical and make him afraid. Always bother him, if he's trying to post you up, shove him out of the way. If he sets a screen, run him over. Get into his head and take him out of the game.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #34
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO

I am a Kobe fan... but that doesn't mean he always does the right thing

Yea just try to get in his head... try different things. Some people respond well to physical play so don't count on that.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #35
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Great advice from swaggin Yeah it's about the shots you practice that are included in your good shot book.

Yeah, just make him think twice about his game when he's versing you. He might have a signature crossover or something then you take it away, and he's like Dam what should I do? What should I test it out? I better stop thinking? DAM IM THINKING.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #36
Maize'N'Blue
Super Yooper

Maize'N'Blue has an OK reputation so far

What is the best way to defend somebody who always drives straight ahead full-speed without even the slightest thought of a pull-up or a crossover?
Maize'N'Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #37
scm5
Decent college freshman

scm5 has an OK reputation so far

One thing I learned to do is to concentrate on breathing. It really helps.

It kinda calms you down and I have even started using breathing to time my jumpers for the past couple weeks. It's hard to explain, but it's made my jumper much more consistent, especially in game.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #38
scm5
Decent college freshman

scm5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize'N'Blue
What is the best way to defend somebody who always drives straight ahead full-speed without even the slightest thought of a pull-up or a crossover?

Force him to his "weaker" side. Learn his movements, like where he likes to cradle the ball when he drives. Also, play off of him as much as possible... it gives you a big advantage because he can't just blow by you.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #39
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize'N'Blue

Bump him, take a charge, or if you have long arms, reach behind him and poke the ball out. It's so clever because for the most part no one expects it but everyone hates it when it happens to them.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #40
Naiseesog
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Naiseesog has an OK reputation so far
Default wallpaper calendar 3.0 2

download wallpaper changer 3.00|
jessica alba wallpapers
wallpapers las vegas|
wallpaper calendar 3.0
techno wallpapers|
death note wallpapers