Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Getting to the next level

As many of you know I'm trying to play basketball in college. I'm wondering what steps I should be taking to get there. Here's some info about me: I've never played any "legit" ball on a team. I've had many runs at local gyms but never on a school/AAU team.

How does getting to college ball work? If I don't get recruited, how does the walk on process go?

And most of all, is there a way I can play there without playing high school ball? I feel very strongly against playing for my school, I have no issues playing AAU but I don't want to play for my high school. Is it possible to take it to the next level like that?
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Getting to the next level

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
As many of you know I'm trying to play basketball in college. I'm wondering what steps I should be taking to get there. Here's some info about me: I've never played any "legit" ball on a team. I've had many runs at local gyms but never on a school/AAU team.

How does getting to college ball work? If I don't get recruited, how does the walk on process go?

And most of all, is there a way I can play there without playing high school ball? I feel very strongly against playing for my school, I have no issues playing AAU but I don't want to play for my high school. Is it possible to take it to the next level like that?

As i think you know, i play in Europe but i know some things about recruiting cause i was almost recruited to play in US but i declined.
I think the better way to get recruited is playing AAU even if you're team are not good or something like that, you just show yourself to the scouts.
But iif u don't want to do that, you'll need to send some tapes of you playing .. 5on5 it's best thing, cause if you send a tape of you playing alone they will send that to garbage.
You need to start talking with the assistant coachs of the schools that you want to play.

Do you have a video of you playing?
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
As i think you know, i play in Europe but i know some things about recruiting cause i was almost recruited to play in US but i declined.
I think the better way to get recruited is playing AAU even if you're team are not good or something like that, you just show yourself to the scouts.
But iif u don't want to do that, you'll need to send some tapes of you playing .. 5on5 it's best thing, cause if you send a tape of you playing alone they will send that to garbage.
You need to start talking with the assistant coachs of the schools that you want to play.

Do you have a video of you playing?

Nah man, I only play pickup runs and I don't have a camera or any friends to film me. I go to play these games by myself because I don't like being with the people in my area, so usually I'm the only one where I'm from.

I do want to play AAU though, what I really want is to play on a team with smart people who I don't know. I've gone to school with the kids on my HS team and we know each other too much as friends to be good teammates. I want to play with the experienced players who don't know me and don't judge me and give me a chance to play for myself.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Maga_1

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Forget about your friends. You need to play for your school and it doesn't matter who you play with. It's the only way to show your skills to scouts.
It's very difficult, i mean i think it's impossible if you don't tape yourself playing to send to ass. coach of colleges.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Well, they're not my friends which is the problem. They're tight with each other and I'm kind of there because they're friends who've played with each other since middle school. I'm just there and I'm the only one not on the team who plays with them.

But are you saying I can't just play AAU? Like HS ball is a must? What happens if I end up not getting any play time on my HS team, or not even make it?

And what about walk ons, how do those work in case no recruiting ever happens? My region is not popular for recruits...
Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
Maga_1

Quote:
Well, they're not my friends which is the problem. They're tight with each other and I'm kind of there because they're friends who've played with each other since middle school. I'm just there and I'm the only one not on the team who plays with them.

But are you saying I can't just play AAU? Like HS ball is a must? What happens if I end up not getting any play time on my HS team, or not even make it?

And what about walk ons, how do those work in case no recruiting ever happens? My region is not popular for recruits...

I'm not saying you can't play. I'm saying you need to play some serious ball to show your skills to everybody.
I think most of the players recruited are players that showed something in regular games to coach and scouts.

If you don't make your HS team, most of the time .. you can't play college. Just in some cases that the improvement is explosive, they get college playing time.

Where are you trying to go in college?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I do want to play AAU though, what I really want is to play on a team with smart people who I don't know. I've gone to school with the kids on my HS team and we know each other too much as friends to be good teammates. I want to play with the experienced players who don't know me and don't judge me and give me a chance to play for myself.
Getting to the next level in many cases means maximizing opportunity. What may you believe the first question out of recruiters mouth is going to be when they realize you only play AAU and not high school? Answer: they're going to wonder why you're not playing high school ball. And how may they interpret your answer? Maybe that you're not a team player, you don't get along with others, etc. It may not be true, but avoiding high school ball due to the reasons stated can give that impression.

All that aside, if you're just interested in AAU basketball, it's more than possible to seek this out. My 8th grade brother was playing for a local AAU squad but he wanted a change, just to try something different, so he googled it. Yes, he found his last AAU team through Google. It was a liberating moment for him. There's a litany of teams out there in every area.

If things get to a point where you're heading to college and you want to walk-on, get all your information very early on. Talk to someone the minute you have been accepted. To gain walk-on status at many colleges it is largely about making yourself visible (attending everything school-basketball related possible) and being endlessly devoted. You can not jump into a college's Open Gym season half-way through and expect to get invited as a walk-on. A repoire will need to be built with players, the coaching staff, trainers, whatever. It's kind of like trying to squeeze yourself into a job.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
I'm not saying you can't play. I'm saying you need to play some serious ball to show your skills to everybody.
I think most of the players recruited are players that showed something in regular games to coach and scouts.

If you don't make your HS team, most of the time .. you can't play college. Just in some cases that the improvement is explosive, they get college playing time.

Where are you trying to go in college?

A D3 school with a good academic standpoint, I've been looking at Emory, U of Chicago, NYU in particular. The problem is our school has a strict system which I'll cover in the next quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Getting to the next level in many cases means maximizing opportunity. What may you believe the first question out of recruiters mouth is going to be when they realize you only play AAU and not high school? Answer: they're going to wonder why you're not playing high school ball. And how may they interpret your answer? Maybe that you're not a team player, you don't get along with others, etc. It may not be true, but avoiding high school ball due to the reasons stated can give that impression.

All that aside, if you're just interested in AAU basketball, it's more than possible to seek this out. My 8th grade brother was playing for a local AAU squad but he wanted a change, just to try something different, so he googled it. Yes, he found his last AAU team through Google. It was a liberating moment for him. There's a litany of teams out there in every area.

If things get to a point where you're heading to college and you want to walk-on, get all your information very early on. Talk to someone the minute you have been accepted. To gain walk-on status at many colleges it is largely about making yourself visible (attending everything school-basketball related possible) and being endlessly devoted. You can not jump into a college's Open Gym season half-way through and expect to get invited as a walk-on. A repoire will need to be built with players, the coaching staff, trainers, whatever. It's kind of like trying to squeeze yourself into a job.

I feel that playing on my HS team will do more harm than good. There have been players who have tried to take over games and you bet they could have, very talented and skilled players who received the end of the bench for scoring too much. The stat line for the players on our teams are always about 4-6 points for each player spread out over a course of 10 players. I know of people who put up 16-20 one game then got pulled out mid game or benched the next game for not "playing the team game".

For that same reason, recruiters don't usually come to our area to scout. The only time any recognition is gained is when postseason tournament starts and we start to play better teams from the city, which we subsequently lose.

That's why I've been wondering if I could garner attention playing AAU and different city leagues and such. Colleges don't usually check out my area and the system tends to trap players into being mediocre. I fully expect to have to try and walk on come college time, but in the meantime, should I join leagues and stuff? Work on my game instead of play HS ball? What I'm thinking about right now is training hard in the weight room and on the track and running in multiple leagues/tournaments around me, filming those and start talking to various coaches. I feel that would be a more efficient way and better way to get better.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

you need to play AAU ,HS ball, or some sort of recognized competition period.

getting yourself on tape running pick up is not going to be enough.

coaches/scouts wants to see you in action at the competition level that they recognize

AAU and high school division sets that standard and helps them to determine if you are playing at the level of their expectation. it is never about your game unless you got the skills to change the entire game on your own. it's about what they want and how they see you can fit into their program/system.

regular pick up is not going to be near the intensity in regulation or play off game for most part. you need to play more "real" games to get a hang of the flow of real in-game situations. you might be running pick up with varsity or even pro players, but i'm telling you the difference is night and day.

the only other option i see is you just show up to a college program and ask them to give you a trial run but the chance is pretty slim
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah I understand I need to play some level of legit ball, but other than AAU and HS, what are other places I can play? What tournaments, city leagues, are good places to play? I know pickup isn't enough, so I'm going to try and get into actual officiated games.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #11
Maga_1

Quote:
Yeah I understand I need to play some level of legit ball, but other than AAU and HS, what are other places I can play? What tournaments, city leagues, are good places to play? I know pickup isn't enough, so I'm going to try and get into actual officiated games.

in this thing i can't help you, sorry
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

The only way anybody is going to give you a chance if you haven't played in tons of leagues, HS, AAU (places recognized by scouts)... is if you are 6'8+ with long arms.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool

Ask around and get into a league, man. Play all the time. Get your face and game out there. Go where ballers play in your area and watch. If you are close by a college, hit up their outdoor courts or gyms. A lot of times scouts will hang out and watch the pickup games and stuff. When I was in LA, I used to play on the outdoor courts at USC and 8 times out of 10 bball scouts would be out there watching. If they like what they see, they will let you know....trust me.

But yeah....if you don't do this kind of stuff, better make sure you are either huge or a freak of an athlete. Even then, it's gonna be hard because they won't take a chance on you if they haven't seen you play against good competition.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
The only way anybody is going to give you a chance if you haven't played in tons of leagues, HS, AAU (places recognized by scouts)... is if you are 6'8+ with long arms.

No chance with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejumpa
Ask around and get into a league, man. Play all the time. Get your face and game out there. Go where ballers play in your area and watch. If you are close by a college, hit up their outdoor courts or gyms. A lot of times scouts will hang out and watch the pickup games and stuff. When I was in LA, I used to play on the outdoor courts at USC and 8 times out of 10 bball scouts would be out there watching. If they like what they see, they will let you know....trust me.

But yeah....if you don't do this kind of stuff, better make sure you are either huge or a freak of an athlete. Even then, it's gonna be hard because they won't take a chance on you if they haven't seen you play against good competition.

That's the path I'll be taking. I'm always trying to meet different people, most of them are straight nasty at ball, finding when they play and try and get into runs with them. Building connections and hopefully get to know people who are good players. No colleges around me, but I might go to the city and check out their open gym sessions sometime.

My town destroyed the outdoor courts and the rec center is constantly empty, so my best bet is to get out of there on the weekends.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Long shot, but are you atleast 25% asian? Asian leagues over here in San Jose are hella competitive.

There's the Zebras and the Ninjas
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: