Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #1
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Default Taking the ACT tomorrow...

Anybody else taking it? I am aiming for at least a 30 so i can become auto accepted into aTm.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Good luck man!

I only got a 22 on my ACT's...no biggy though as long as it got me into school. They seemed pretty easy tho. I just suck at math but if youre good at that kinda stuff you'll be good to go
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default re:

good luck Hawker. just remember its a standardized tests, so there are tricks to maximizing your score if you can read the questions correectly.

i took SATs when they were still out of 1600.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

ya the SAT is overrated. I suck at that ****. The first time on my ACT i didnt study at all and got a 26. I took it again over the summer and got a 28 and now aiming for a 30.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

thanks guys for saying good luck.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

your conscience- " when in doubt hawker mark B..."
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:15 PM   #7
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Good luck don't pull a Dirk
bigkingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
Younggrease
Banned

Default ...

if you dont get the score you want take Princeton Review or another company. ITs a lot of money but worth it. A few point can be the difference from ivy league to ACC.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
geeWiz15
Banned

SAT > ACT.

the following is not a rant at you just in general.

I think it's a rite of passage for all college bound kids to have to take an unreasonably long and extremely faulty test. the ACT is nothing more than an out for kids who don't have attention spans. If you can't handle a 5 hour test do you think you can handle 3 kids and a high pressure job in the real world? don't think so. SAT wins on that alone. it's long and it's hard and it's stupid just like life. Im not a fan of the ACT.

I also heard from a friend of activist groups trying to get rid of the SAT and make the ACT universal. I guess it's just one more way to make everything easy for kids these days. colleges lowering standards all over the place, college grads can't name the Vice Prez, high school graduates can't add and subtract. it's pathetic. in calculus we can do basically everything in seconds on a graphing calculator. used to be people had to look up trig functions in a book and work them out by hand, they had slide rules, it was work, it was hard and it required logic every step of the way. now calculus is a joke. just like school.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #10
geeWiz15
Banned

oh, and good luck, for real.

what is the "scale" for ACTs? whats a good score? top score? average?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #11
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
SAT > ACT.

the following is not a rant at you just in general.

I think it's a rite of passage for all college bound kids to have to take an unreasonably long and extremely faulty test. the ACT is nothing more than an out for kids who don't have attention spans. If you can't handle a 5 hour test do you think you can handle 3 kids and a high pressure job in the real world? don't think so. SAT wins on that alone. it's long and it's hard and it's stupid just like life. Im not a fan of the ACT.

I also heard from a friend of activist groups trying to get rid of the SAT and make the ACT universal. I guess it's just one more way to make everything easy for kids these days. colleges lowering standards all over the place, college grads can't name the Vice Prez, high school graduates can't add and subtract. it's pathetic. in calculus we can do basically everything in seconds on a graphing calculator. used to be people had to look up trig functions in a book and work them out by hand, they had slide rules, it was work, it was hard and it required logic every step of the way. now calculus is a joke. just like school.

there both easy...try a real test like the LSAT or the MCATs than get back to me. You take the SAT on cruise control time shouldnt be a factor but those other tests are totally different.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:26 PM   #12
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
oh, and good luck, for real.

what is the "scale" for ACTs? whats a good score? top score? average?

ok so u try and prove that the ACT is wrose then u ask this ?. But anyways a 30 or higher is pretty good. The highest score is a 36. Basically there is an English (grammar) section, mathematics which is a bit harder then SAT so i get it more. It isnt a bunch of old bs that i have forgotten. Reading is a lot easier. No bs vocab words u will ever use. And the science exam which isnt actual since just analyzing experiments and viewpoints of scientists and answering questions then a writing prompt which is optional but im taking it b/c UT accepts ACT w/ writing and not w/o.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:27 PM   #13
adamcz
Bucks fan

In the midwest, everybody takes the ACT, and only those who are applying out of state (to one of the coasts) take the SAT. If I remember correctly, the ACT is a 1-36 scale, and anything in the 30's can get you into most schools.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:49 PM   #14
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
ok so u try and prove that the ACT is wrose then u ask this ?. But anyways a 30 or higher is pretty good. The highest score is a 36. Basically there is an English (grammar) section

Good luck. I hope u don't do wrose than everyone else.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:54 PM   #15
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

i took the PLAN test last year, they told me I should expect to get 32-33 in ACTS. Im taking the PSAT next month
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: