Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #601
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Latvian Ladder
Posts: 25,014
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
I just love that Sarcastic keeps claiming money isn't that big a deal but then turns around and acts like its a done deal that Lee will be a Yankee next year b/c they will outbid everyone.

I actually wouldn't be surprised at all if Lee signs with the Rangers. He seems to really like it here, the team is really good and young, its new ownership is legit and actually has money, they want to make him the centerpiece of the pitching staff... there are really a lot of factors in the Rangers favor for keeping him.

Avy bet on it?
Sarcastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #602
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,862
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
It's really a total ***** ass thing that yankee fans are like "OH WELL WE CANT BEAT CLIFF LEE, WE'LL STEAL HIM". Really? You don't want him back on Texas so you can smash his face in? It's very very lame. If that was my team i'd want his arm to explode, not for him to be our player.

Yankee fans are lame, there is this feeling of wanting to win in a non competitive fashion. They don't want to compete and win, they want to have a team that is stacked ten times better than the competition, and win because of that.
100% whining.

I'm not a Yankees fan. Hell, I hate the Yankees since I live and die with the Blue Jays but there is nothing wrong with what the Yankees do every year. They are popular, they make huge revenue and they have an ownership group that tries to do everything they can to reward (spend money on players) their fans with a great team. I wish my team was run by people like that. Why shouldn't the Yankee fans want Cliff Lee on their team? He would clearly help and their ownership has proven time and time again that they are willing to go out and get players like this.

If you have the resources and are willing to use them to put a great product on the field, why not do it? It's not the Yankees fans fault that cheapskate owners like the guy who owns the Twins won't pony up more money into the team. There are many teams run by filthy rich people who just don't care about baseball as much. The Jays are one of them and we just have to deal with it. I'm pretty sure if you asked any non-Yankee fan if they could have the Yankees ownership/management for their team, they would take it.

There is no such thing as "winning in a non-competitive fashion", where do you even come up with crap like that from? Either you win or you don't.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #603
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Latvian Ladder
Posts: 25,014
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

It's better that the Yankees go out and spend all that money and put the best team on the field that money can buy, rather than just pocket all the profits.
Sarcastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #604
kentatm
NBA Legend
 
kentatm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 17,150
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Avy bet on it?


I will not sully the legend of Keith Van Horn by making him the subject of a bet!
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #605
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,496
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
It's better that the Yankees go out and spend all that money and put the best team on the field that money can buy, rather than just pocket all the profits.

This actually increases their revenue. Them spending extra millions of dollars on superstars is going to bring in even more millions down the line. It's like casting a big name actor for a movie because his presence along will generated more ticket sales.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #606
BRabbiT
....
 
BRabbiT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .....
Posts: 5,453
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike lupica

The end of it for the Yankees, the end of a four-game sweep that just happened to take six games, was the bat on Alex Rodriguez's shoulder against a kid closer named Neftali Feliz. It was 6-1 for the Rangers in Game 6 by then. The Yankees hadn't just been beaten. They had been bounced around most of the last week, Arlington to the Bronx and back, and finally been embarrassed. So there really was no need for A-Rod to take the bat off his shoulder. The Yankees had stopped playing an hour ago. ...

One out away. A-Rod. Of course. Of course it had to be him. Took a called third strike. They paid him $252 million once to put the Rangers in the World Series. Now he had.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/10/23/2010-10-23_losing_al_pennant_to_rangers_feels_like_sixgame _sweep_as_yankees_are_thoroughly_.html






BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #607
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Latvian Ladder
Posts: 25,014
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
This actually increases their revenue. Them spending extra millions of dollars on superstars is going to bring in even more millions down the line. It's like casting a big name actor for a movie because his presence along will generated more ticket sales.

Their attendance went through the roof when they brought in Alex Rodriguez. He was not great for winning at first, but they went over 4 million people because of him.

Bringing in Lee would be a huge boost as well. They will overpay probably by $40 million to sign him.

They asked Brian Cashman what his plans were for the offseason, and the first thing he said was pitching. There is only 1 big time pitcher on the market this year.
Sarcastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #608
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Latvian Ladder
Posts: 25,014
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbiT




He is still on their payroll, so he might as well be the one to make the last out. It's only fitting.
Sarcastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #609
BRabbiT
....
 
BRabbiT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .....
Posts: 5,453
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
He is still on their payroll, so he might as well be the one to make the last out. It's only fitting.



yeah, i find it ironic, too
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #610
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Latvian Ladder
Posts: 25,014
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

I don't really care who made the last out. We got our asses kicked. I admit it. The whole team is shamed because of that.
Sarcastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #611
BRabbiT
....
 
BRabbiT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .....
Posts: 5,453
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
I don't really care who made the last out. We got our asses kicked. I admit it. The whole team is shamed because of that.



i think the same yankee team destroys a different opponent in the same circumstances.

TEX just had their number (imo).
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #612
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 13,901
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
idk...what has he done?...maybe I would recongnize a song...

the only country singer I can even think of right now is Garth Brooks...and I couldn't even tell you one of his songs...

I honestly couldn't even tell you where a "country bar" is here...and I live in Addison, which is ALL bars and clubs...where are they?...do they really exist?

I can't even remember the last time I saw someone in boots here...not even in high school...maybe NEVER

I thought ALL you Texans were into country music, cowboy boots, and saloons
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #613
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Latvian Ladder
Posts: 25,014
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbiT
i think the same yankee team destroys a different opponent in the same circumstances.

TEX just had their number (imo).

The team was flawed. Their pitching was awful for a long stretch of the year. BJ Burnout had one of the worst years ever for the Yankees, and Pettitte was hurt for almost the entire second half. Hughes is still too young, and has never pitched that many innings so his arm is not strong enough to go deep in the postseason.

Their offense should have been better, but they had injuries too. Arod missed a large chunk of the year with leg problems. Teixeira got hurt late in the year and has been awful for 2 straight postseasons. Jeter has taken a huge step back. Who knows if he can still be a .300 hitter anymore. Posada is old now and awful behind the plate. Cervelli, his backup, is not a legit major league player. He should be in the minors.

The Rays would have beaten us too.

They have a lot of work to do to fix this team.
Sarcastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #614
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-
 
-playmaker-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 10,026
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbiT



wow, that is pretty f*ckin amazing considering how many times they have seen the post season...


It just never really really sunk in with me until seeing this right here...that we not only beat the yankees, but we kicked the living shit out them...


I guess after the Mavs loss in 06, and the constant Cowboy let downs the past 4-5 years...I just never counted the Yankees out in that series...not till the last out which was A-Rod staring at a Feliz strike...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #615
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,656
Default Re: 2010 ALCS - Rangers vs Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
100% whining.

I'm not a Yankees fan. Hell, I hate the Yankees since I live and die with the Blue Jays but there is nothing wrong with what the Yankees do every year. They are popular, they make huge revenue and they have an ownership group that tries to do everything they can to reward (spend money on players) their fans with a great team. I wish my team was run by people like that. Why shouldn't the Yankee fans want Cliff Lee on their team? He would clearly help and their ownership has proven time and time again that they are willing to go out and get players like this.

If you have the resources and are willing to use them to put a great product on the field, why not do it? It's not the Yankees fans fault that cheapskate owners like the guy who owns the Twins won't pony up more money into the team. There are many teams run by filthy rich people who just don't care about baseball as much. The Jays are one of them and we just have to deal with it. I'm pretty sure if you asked any non-Yankee fan if they could have the Yankees ownership/management for their team, they would take it.

There is no such thing as "winning in a non-competitive fashion", where do you even come up with crap like that from? Either you win or you don't.

Spoken totally like someone who doesn't live in NY and doesn't hear it day in and day out. The yankee fans don't want the yankees to put the best product they can on the field. THey want them to take every other teams best players so the other teams can't compete. Rather than beat the Rangers, they wanted the Rangers to not have a team good enough to compete with them.

I'm not against the Yankees having a competitive advantage. The key word is COMPETITIVE. The yankee fans don't want it to be competitive, they want the title handed to them in spring training by their team being just that much better than everyone else.

The dynasty yankee teams would have wanted to smash Cliff Lee's face in. The post dyansty teams would rather he be on their team because they don't think they can beat him. It's sad.

Last edited by niko : 10-23-2010 at 09:29 PM.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook














Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy