Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default The Patriots after they stopped cheating.

I guess it's just a coincidence that as soon as the Patriots stopped filming their opponents practices, they stopped winning Championships, and became just another average NFL team?

What was their punishment anyways? They lost ONE 1st round pick and some inconsequential cash? I'm sure every team in the NFL would trade a 1st round pick for a few Championships.

The Patriots Championships should have asterisks next to them... or maybe it really is just a coincidence that as soon as they stopped cheating, they stopped winning.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Default Re: The Patriots after they stopped cheating.

Them not taping opponents calls is why they had the best offense in NFL history and went undefeated in the regular season and came just shy in the Superbowl against the Giants. Only a few months after they were caught. Word, totally agree.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

LOL@you. After the cheating was exposed they proceded to make it to the Superbowl. They did lose the SB but a perfect regular season is far from average. The season after that they still won 11 games with Tom Brady tearing his ACL in Game 1, and after that, made the postseason. I think you need to look up the definition of "average."
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Oh yeah, and then there was that whole Brady going down for the whole season in week one the season after. And then our division getting much stronger after that. But once again, completely agree with you.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

I shouldn't say average, they were definitely a good team. However, after years of cheating and winning, it's amazing how many good players will join your squad at a discount price. The Patriots were known throughout their success for not paying players (letting them walk if necessary), and getting great players to play for discount prices to be a part of a "winning" franchise.

Regardless of how much you think the cheating helped, you have to admit that it helped. I just think it's funny how quickly the NFL swept it under the rug; the fact that a 3-time NFL champ was found guilty of cheating during their Championship runs.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Holy backpedal.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Holy backpedal.

How is that backpedaling? They are an average team NOW, which is what I referencing in my initial post. Immediately after their Championships years (cheating years), yes, they had a stacked roster... because quality players were taking paycuts to play for them . Let's see how many players take paycuts to play for them now.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
I shouldn't say average, they were definitely a good team. However, after years of cheating and winning, it's amazing how many good players will join your squad at a discount price. The Patriots were known throughout their success for not paying players (letting them walk if necessary), and getting great players to play for discount prices to be a part of a "winning" franchise.

Regardless of how much you think the cheating helped, you have to admit that it helped. I just think it's funny how quickly the NFL swept it under the rug; the fact that a 3-time NFL champ was found guilty of cheating during their Championship runs.
Oh yeah, look at all the guys who are playing for the Pats at a discount rate. Logan Mankins, Randy Moss, Asante Samuels, Richard Seymour...it's just free cake around here.

Quit while you're behind.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
How is that backpedaling? They are an average team NOW, which is what I referencing in my initial post. Immediately after their Championships years (cheating years), yes, they had a stacked roster... because quality players were taking paycuts to play for them . Let's see how many players take paycuts to play for them now.

Backpedaling because you gave up on your initial argument and started randomly spewing BS about players taking pay-cuts to play for us when neither is related to each other.

What the f*ck is your point? You're all over the place.

* = thread directed by David Lynch
Old 10-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:

Also, can you list the players who took or are currently taking pay-cuts to play for us? [Tom Brady era]
Old 10-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

I can't really think of anyone who took a paycut to play there. Junior Seau? I know they got him to come out of retirement like a week after he retired but idk if he would have got more money elsewhere, I forget. That's the only guy I can think of.

Most of those players on the great teams were either drafted by the Pats or traded for.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Backpedaling because you gave up on your initial argument and started randomly spewing BS about players taking pay-cuts to play for us when neither is related to each other.

What the f*ck is your point? You're all over the place.

He must be one of those flaky broads from The View. Reaching to be right about something. Anything.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I don't know who the hell he's talking about either.

We traded for Moss after no one would dare to touch him. He was going to whither away and die in Oakland. Welker was a nobody before we got him. Who else? Sammy Morris? Once again, below average and now...average.

We sign over the hill players all the time, is that who you're talking about?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

I mean signing players for less than they are worth, because they want to play for a contender. Although some players HAVE taken straight up paycutsas well, while others have walked. Didn't Branch just take a paycut to play for New England?

Anyway, I'm not sure how you guys are even arguing this point. The Patriots are notorious over the past decade for letting players walk, and resigning better players at discount prices.

And regardless of how good the Patriots were after they were busted for cheating, how does that change the fact they were in fact cheating every year they won the Championship?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
I mean signing players for less than they are worth, because they want to play for a contender. Although some players HAVE taken straight up paycutsas well, while others have walked. Didn't Branch just take a paycut to play for New England?

Anyway, I'm not sure how you guys are even arguing this point. The Patriots are notorious over the past decade for letting players walk, and resigning better players at discount prices.

And regardless of how good the Patriots were after they were busted for cheating, how does that change the fact they were in fact cheating every year they won the Championship?

And that's NE's fault. . . how? We're not under-paying anyone. They want to come here for less money. It's a completely different scenario then what you're twisting it into being.

Do you honestly think Branch is worth 6 mil? He goes from a #1 option Superbowl MVP winning wideout to a forgotten 4th stringer in Seattle.

OP is a widely known NE hater. This thread sucks. Could have been executed much better. Dasher would have made this interesting.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: