Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
theaussieguy
Good High School Starter

theaussieguy has decent reputationtheaussieguy has decent reputation
Default Something about Jumpers they never teach

When i first started playing basketball i didn't know the importance of really jumping on your jumper i would just give a little push into my method.

Until i actually understood that jumper means jumper, i was never hitting shots on a consistent basis.

Pretty much this is what i associate with the word jumper, is using your body as a whole to get the ball into the hoop. I have watched many videos and i have heard Ray Allen stress the importance of having a very consistent jump for your jumper, but i have never heard anyone actually stress that to have a good jumper you actually have to jump hard into your jumper.

I have watched Kobe's technique closely and you can see that right at the end of his stroke while he is in mid air he sort of kicks his feet forward just as he is releasing (this actually becomes automatic which im sure a lot you know). It took me a while until i got to this point but i realized quickly the more effort you put into your initial jump, the greater chance it has of going in.

I am now at the point where i can feel very subtly my body's movement from positive velocity to negative velocity or just at the point where my body has 0 acceleration. IMO unless you jump hard enough you will never ever be able to get a feel for this sensation which i think is necessarily to get any kind of consistency on your shot.

Of course there are freaks out there who will be sinking balls without any sort of technique but i really think the most important part of improving is just putting the effort into every single jumper, and releasing just as you feel your upwards momentum sort of flow through your body into negative momentum.

feels good man
theaussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Venom
Serious playground baller

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Something about Jumpers they never teach

It's not necessary to jump high on jumpers, it's only necessary to have a consistent jump. Yes, a lot of the power you use to shoot the ball comes from your feet, but that doesn't mean you have to jump high. I barely get off the ground when I shoot my jumpers even though I'm able to finish at the rim on most low post plays.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
AJ2k8
Banned

AJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't know...Naturally jumping fairly high on your jumpshot is handy, you don't want to take jumpshots and have trouble jumping the same amount every time.

It's probably helpful for most players to jump a decent amount on their jumpshots but have a look at Stephen Curry he doesn't jump much on his J and it's one of the best ones in the league.
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Everyone is different... but I'd start most people out on jumping a decent height on their jumper unless they can already shoot very well. Having good lift on your jumper better insures that you can get your shot off. This guy today was pulling up from everywhere (He was only about 5'11) on anyone and had no problem getting his shot off. He didn't shoot a great percentage, but some of his shots would have surely been blocked if he didn't have that lift.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
LA KB24
LAL|LAC

LA KB24 has an OK reputation so far

I only get about 8 inches or so of lift on my J, I could do more but it gets harder to control my release point...
LA KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I dont really agree with this. Whats most important is to practice shooting however you are going to shoot in a game. So if you are shorter or a creator who shoots contested jumpers, then yes you need to practice jumping on your shot because thats what you are going to have to do in a game. However if you are taller and mostly catch and shoot its fine to have a set shot/smaller jump on your vertical(a quick release is important if you go this route). Basically the rule i shoot in practice like you will shoot in a game.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's not the jump unless you're really trying to elevate over defenders it's the level with the rim. If you have a rim that lowers, lower it waaaaay down and shoot around a bit. You find that shots are easier and you have a fat range because of the level of release. It's not at or maybe even higher than rim level.

The other important thing is the arch. The higher the arch of a shot the more rim the ball "sees." So the higher you can get the release, and the better arch should equal a good shot. Dirk can get buckets from anywhere because of his height and arch.

Now I say should because it simply doesn't work for everyone. I barely elevate at all on my jumpers. It works out for me. I'm not tall but I create space and can shoot over taller guys because of my timing but also once you see the rim starting your shot you can usually finish with obstruction. The key is to be consistent.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: