Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: NFL may start suspending players for hits

I hope some TE or RB puts a massive hit on Harrison soon
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Ray Anderson, the NFLís vice president of football operations, was just on ESPN Radioís "Mike & Mike" show and said that Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinsonís hit on Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson definitely was illegal under the rules protecting a defenseless receiver.

"Technically, by the rules, even if you initiate contact below the neck, but you get up into a players head and neck area for a defenseless receiver, technically under that rule, that was a violation," Anderson said. "Thatís why it was called (a penalty). And it will be subject to discipline."

The league expanded the definition of a "defenseless receiver" in March. If a receiver has caught the ball, but hasnít had time to protect himself, he canít be hit in the head or neck area.

"Yes, it was a bang-bang play," Anderson said. "You can make the argument that it was different from the others (hits on Sunday).

But at the end of the day, it was still illegal under the current rules. And we have to be very vigorous about enforcing and protecting our players against hits like this."

Bottom line: Robinson definitely will be fined. My best guess is he wonít receive a suspension unless the league is determined to send a message to the rest of the players.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz12oocQjs9
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246

Not for nothing, but I think the fact that Robinson suffered a concussion should be enough punishment.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #19
HisJoeness
ISH's Best Looking

HisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
I hope some TE or RB puts a massive hit on Harrison soon

Harrison and Feregi from Star Trek. #sameforehead.
HisJoeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #20
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Harrison was fined $75,000 for his hit on Massaquoi. The hits by Marriweather and Robinson earned a $50,000 fine each. No suspensions were levied.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #21
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGlove
That Massaquoi hit was foul. The Cribbs one was violent, but that was just a one-two play for me. Nothing dirty there. The former was dirty all around. Typical Steeler shenanigans.

No, typical Steeler shenanigans would be winning Super Bowls.

I do agree about the Cribbs hit. At first I thought it was bad but the more I thought about it I think it was just him persuing the ball and couldn't react. He didn't even get his arms up to make a tackle, he just ran straight into him. Also, the Massaquoi hit wasn't that bad. Sure it wasn't the cleanest hit I've ever seen but it wasn't nearly as dirty as people are making it out to be.

This is ridiculous tho.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I haven't watched football that long so not really knowledgeable about the injuries\what's truly a dirty hit. That being said one the best things about football IMO are the massive hits. Those just seemed like pretty sick hits to me. Sucks they got hurt tho.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
No, typical Steeler shenanigans would be winning Super Bowls.

I do agree about the Cribbs hit. At first I thought it was bad but the more I thought about it I think it was just him persuing the ball and couldn't react. He didn't even get his arms up to make a tackle, he just ran straight into him. Also, the Massaquoi hit wasn't that bad. Sure it wasn't the cleanest hit I've ever seen but it wasn't nearly as dirty as people are making it out to be.

This is ridiculous tho.
There is no doubt in my mind that there was malicious intent on both hits. He just happened to be within the rules (somehow) on the Cribbs hit. He was leading with the crown of his helmet. It isn't like the helmet-to-helmet contact came with a defensive player having his head up (as is taught to be proper tackling technique) and he just happened to collide with the opponent's head. He launched himself into Cribbs with his head in the down position and clearly in the area where Cribbs' head would probably be.

His comments after the game only added fuel to the idea that it was intentional... Something like, "That was the end of the Wildcat."

The Massaquoi hit WAS bad, but the reason why the fine was so stiff was because Harrison is a repeat offender and he was clearly out to hurt people. He even admitted as much after the game. Honestly... Who says that?

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 10-19-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #24
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
I haven't watched football that long so not really knowledgeable about the injuries\what's truly a dirty hit. That being said one the best things about football IMO are the massive hits. Those just seemed like pretty sick hits to me. Sucks they got hurt tho.
You might not think so if you were one of the incredible number of former NFL players that are now catatonic and sipping their meals through a straw. There has been an incredible amount of research done on concussions in recent years and the results are staggering.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #25
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, Harrison is an idiot and definitely reckless, as shown from his past play. I didn't hear his post game comments so I can't really defend him there lol. He actually had all the physical tools to be a starter years before he became one because I think it took him like 4 years to understand our playbook.

At least that's the rumor I've heard. We kept him around as a special teams stud and tried to baby his dumbass along in the playbook.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #26
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Yeah, Harrison is an idiot and definitely reckless, as shown from his past play. I didn't hear his post game comments so I can't really defend him there lol. He actually had all the physical tools to be a starter years before he became one because I think it took him like 4 years to understand our playbook.

At least that's the rumor I've heard. We kept him around as a special teams stud and tried to baby his dumbass along in the playbook.
I've heard that, as well. You wonder how a player this good slips through the cracks... I believe he was on someone's practice squad (maybe Baltimore) before the Steelers scooped him up. Then, you hear the guy speak and it makes complete sense.

Here are some of comments by Harrison and his Steelers teammates after the game...

Quote:
PITTSBURGH, Pa. -- James Harrison knocked Browns receivers Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi out of Sunday's 28-10 Steelers victory with crushing blows to the head about seven minutes apart in the second quarter. Afterward, Harrison showed no remorse and his teammates praised the hits.

"I thought Cribbs was asleep," said Harrison, the 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year. "A hit like that geeks you up -- it geeks everybody up -- especially when you find out that the guy is not really hurt -- he's just sleeping. He's knocked out, but he's going to be OK. The other guy, I didn't hit that hard, to be honest with you. When you get a guy on the ground, it's a perfect tackle."

Both Cribbs and Massaquoi were diagnosed with head injuries and will undergo further tests on Monday to determine if they suffered concussions. Harrison wasn't flagged for the hits, but could get fined this week.

"[Harrison] plays hard like that every week," said Steelers linebacker James Farrior. "Today was especially good because he took out their top dog, really. He took out the biggest weapon they had. He didn't do it intentionally, but with the intensity he plays with, it's liable to happen sooner or later."

Cribbs was running out of the wildcat when Harrison drilled him helmet-to-helmet. Cribbs fell face-first to the ground as the ball popped loose. Guard Floyd Womack recovered the ball, but Cribbs didn't recover his senses, at least not for a few minutes. He remained face down and motionless for a while before the medical staff turned him over.

"[Harrison's] a beast," said Steelers receiver Hines Ward. "You see a guy like that -- knocking guys out like that -- he's a man on a mission. Hopefully nothing seriously was wrong with those guys. But he set the tempo for everybody else. He's our emotional leader."

Cribbs eventually walked off the field with assistance, and tried talking the doctors into letting him go back in. A few minutes later, he walked into the locker room, helmet in hand, and was done for the day.

"I know Josh," said Harrison, a fellow former Golden Flash. "We're cool. But when it's us vs. them, all friendships are off until the game is over."

Harrison said Cribbs was about to cut back when he nailed him. "I was pursuing to the ball and got a good hit on him," he said.

Helmet-to-helmet is a good hit?

"It doesn't matter what it is -- he's running the ball, so that's a legal hit."

His primary thought about knocking Cribbs out of the game?

"That ends the wildcat," said Harrison. "It's out the window. That's his thing.

"I don't want to injure anybody. But I'm not opposed to hurting anybody," he said. "There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game."

On the Massaquoi hit, Harrison launched and smashed his forearms into Massaquoi's head after he dropped a short pass to the left. Massaquoi slumped to the ground, holding his hands up to his helmet. He experienced memory loss and neck pain, a source told The Plain Dealer.

"If I get fined for that, it's going to be a travesty," Harrison said. "There's no way I could be fined for that. It was a good, clean, legit hit. He came across, I put my head across the bow. I could have put a lot more into that hit than I did."

He said it wasn't helmet-to-helmet, despite the opinion of some Browns -- such as Peyton Hillis -- that it was.

"I thought it was helmet-to-helmet contact for sure and I thought he should've gotten a penalty," said Hillis. "We ended up getting a penalty ourselves. I was pretty upset about it, but the refs make the call."

"No. 47, [Lawrence] Vickers, said, 'Hey, man, that's football. That happens,'" Harrison said. "And the flag wasn't even on us [Alex Mack was penalized for kicking the ball after the play]."

In week two, Harrison was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee's Vince Young to the turf -- despite not being penalized. For comparison's sake, Browns rookie safety T.J. Ward was fined $15,000 for hitting Bengals receiver Jordan Shipley in the head with his helmet. Rules state that a player can't launch and hit a defenseless player in the head or neck area with the head, shoulder or forearms.

"They were legal hits, not fineable hits," said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. "He played good football. James is always ready to deliver for his teammates. That's why they have so much respect for him."

Said defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau: "They were hard plays, both guys were running hard. We're thrilled that both players walked off the field, that's the good thing. I'm sure [the league will] look at it."

Link

SMH
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #27
Bring-Your-Js
I hit 30-footers

Bring-Your-Js has decent reputation

Find it hilarious when Cowherd describes defensive players:

"Lawrence Taylor is one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history. He did Crack."
Bring-Your-Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #28
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Harrison was fined $75,000 for his hit on Massaquoi. The hits by Marriweather and Robinson earned a $50,000 fine each. No suspensions were levied.

I think the whole handling of these hits is going to get out of hand very quickly.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #29
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I've heard that, as well. You wonder how a player this good slips through the cracks... I believe he was on someone's practice squad (maybe Baltimore) before the Steelers scooped him up. Then, you hear the guy speak and it makes complete sense.

Here are some of comments by Harrison and his Steelers teammates after the game...

Link

SMH

Jesus lol. He should have kept his mouth shut after the game.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #30
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Jesus lol. He should have kept his mouth shut after the game.

He's an idiot for running his mouth, as are his other teammates. I wouldn't be surprised if a defensive player went for Big Ben's knees on a sack.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: