Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
Jello
Hume>Kunt.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,618
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
What does that have to do with anything? I bet even fewer would know what the theory of relativity is. Does that mean it's not real?
What? Evolution is fact. The theory of relativity is not.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #17
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!
 
SourGrapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,170
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the GIBBET
Glenn Beck is an infotainer.

He gets paid to get your attention.

The best way to stand in opposition to his brand of entertainment is to ignore him.

But you haven't. You have instead chosen to announce his latest commentary to a whole website full of people.


Glenn Beck: 1
Take Your Lumps: 0

the problem with that is that he is pandering to a population that doesn't know better. those who are educated enough to ignore him already do for the most part
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #18
the GIBBET
Banned
 
the GIBBET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,244
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
the problem with that is that he is pandering to a population that doesn't know better. those who are educated enough to ignore him already do for the most part


I guess that doesnt include the OP
the GIBBET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #19
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash
 
RaininThrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,996
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
the problem with that is that he is pandering to a population that doesn't know better. those who are educated enough to ignore him already do for the most part

And there are those running for office who are just as uneducated as the masses, and feeding that nonsense back to them from a position of "power":

Quote:
The exchange came in a debate before an audience of legal scholars and law students at Widener University Law School, as O'Donnell criticized Democratic nominee Chris Coons' position that teaching creationism in public school would violate the First Amendment by promoting religious doctrine.

Coons said private and parochial schools are free to teach creationism but that "religious doctrine doesn't belong in our public schools."

"Where in the Constitution is the separation of church and state?" O'Donnell asked him.

When Coons responded that the First Amendment bars Congress from making laws respecting the establishment of religion, O'Donnell asked: "You're telling me that's in the First Amendment?"

Her comments, in a debate aired on radio station WDEL, generated a buzz in the audience.

"You actually audibly heard the crowd gasp," Widener University political scientist Wesley Leckrone said after the debate, adding that it raised questions about O'Donnell's grasp of the Constitution.

RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #20
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year
 
Black Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC
Posts: 6,933
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

well... technically she's right, if we're looking for the phrase "separation of church and state"
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #21
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 12,740
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
And there are those running for office who are just as uneducated as the masses, and feeding that nonsense back to them from a position of "power":




If the rules of the lollipop guild didn't apply to witches, why would the U.S. Constitution?

DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #22
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: #KnicksTank
Posts: 22,667
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
What? Evolution is fact. The theory of relativity is not.

They are both theories. Neither of them are laws.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #23
VishaltotheG
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,457
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Glenn Beck could be great, but he's in the wrong system. If his ass was on the Daily Show or the Colbert Report as a correspondent, he'd be loved by everyone.
VishaltotheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #24
TheGreatDeraj
Near-Life Experience
 
TheGreatDeraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
And there are those running for office who are just as uneducated as the masses, and feeding that nonsense back to them from a position of "power":

Quote:
The exchange came in a debate before an audience of legal scholars and law students at Widener University Law School, as O'Donnell criticized Democratic nominee Chris Coons' position that teaching creationism in public school would violate the First Amendment by promoting religious doctrine.

Coons said private and parochial schools are free to teach creationism but that "religious doctrine doesn't belong in our public schools."

"Where in the Constitution is the separation of church and state?" O'Donnell asked him.

When Coons responded that the First Amendment bars Congress from making laws respecting the establishment of religion, O'Donnell asked: "You're telling me that's in the First Amendment?"

Her comments, in a debate aired on radio station WDEL, generated a buzz in the audience.

"You actually audibly heard the crowd gasp," Widener University political scientist Wesley Leckrone said after the debate, adding that it raised questions about O'Donnell's grasp of the Constitution.




While O'Donnell obviously has never read the consitution, I don't think Coon has a point either. How does she use the first amendment in here argument of whether public schools should teach creationism?

The first ammendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

I'm pretty sure public school curriculum is not a law being passed by congress, so I fail to see how this applies.

Not that I am advocating teaching creationism, but neither politician has any grasp of the constitution

Glenn Beck is an obvious troll, wasn't he a former shock jock?
TheGreatDeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #25
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: #KnicksTank
Posts: 22,667
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatDeraj
While O'Donnell obviously has never read the consitution, I don't think Coon has a point either. How does she use the first amendment in here argument of whether public schools should teach creationism?

The first ammendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

I'm pretty sure public school curriculum is not a law being passed by congress, so I fail to see how this applies.

Not that I am advocating teaching creationism, but neither politician has any grasp of the constitution

Glenn Beck is an obvious troll, wasn't he a former shock jock?

The separation of church and state as a phrase does not appear in the Constitution, but it has been interpreted that way by the Supreme Court from the First Amendment. Therefore the state(in this case the public schools) is not supposed to support religious teaching (ID or creationism).
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #26
TheGreatDeraj
Near-Life Experience
 
TheGreatDeraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
The separation of church and state as a phrase does not appear in the Constitution, but it has been interpreted that way by the Supreme Court from the First Amendment. Therefore the state(in this case the public schools) is not supposed to support religious teaching (ID or creationism).

Not saying you are wrong, but how does that makes sense? Why specifically state that Congress can't pass a law if really that phrase was meant for all branches of government?

Especially when the phrases "separation of church and state" and "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" was intended to protect against an oppressive government, whether that government was banning your religion, or giving another religion special treatment.
TheGreatDeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #27
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: #KnicksTank
Posts: 22,667
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatDeraj
Not saying you are wrong, but how does that makes sense? Why specifically state that Congress can't pass a law if really that phrase was meant for all branches of government?

Especially when the phrases "separation of church and state" and "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" was intended to protect against an oppressive government, whether that government was banning your religion, or giving another religion special treatment.

Congress is the only branch of government that actually passes laws.

What has been interpreted is that state and religion should be kept separate. If public schools were to start teaching religious teachings, then state and religion are no longer separate.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #28
knobs
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 324
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
What? Evolution is fact. The theory of relativity is not.
one is fact and one is not?

neither have been contradicted since their original theorization, at least in the terms within which they're now understood. both are at the very least supremely accurate.
knobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #29
shlver
코비=GOAT
 
shlver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,213
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
They are both theories. Neither of them are laws.

No they're not. Evolution is fact, and the theory of relavity is just a theory.

Quote:
one is fact and one is not?

neither have been contradicted since their original theorization, at least in the terms within which they're now understood. both are at the very least supremely accurate.

Yes. Evolution is observable fact. The theory of relativity is not.

Last edited by shlver : 10-21-2010 at 01:28 AM.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #30
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: #KnicksTank
Posts: 22,667
Default Re: Glenn Beck On Evolution: Where Are The Half-Monkey/Half-Human Hybrids?

It's a theory and a fact.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy