Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #466
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Default Re: Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito for the WBC Super Welterweight title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Yeah, never trust the promoter's bullish projections, they always tout the best possible scenario. We have to wait a little while for HBO to post the official numbers, but I think Dish Networks already reported and it was really high which is why Arum is so optimistic. But honestly, it doesn't matter since all it means is Pacquiao/Margarito/Top Rank/HBO will be millions richer one way or another. And I guess it's great for the sport with the ridiculous exposure in the media. This has no bearing on any fantasy fights.

Floyd Sr just revealed some new demands now that the drug testing issue was resolved, and he makes it clear he advises his son not to fight Pacquiao

And I think our over/under for the avy bet was 850K, am I right?
I think so, I think I had it pegged at 700K and you had it at a mil and we split the difference if i remember correctly. How long was it? 2 weeks maybe? Ill look it up at some point when we actually find out.

BTW as to the fight overall, I do think floyd has every right to ask for 55/45 but I dont think he should go any higher and honestly i dont care if its 50/50. Its not like i get the extra money if he gets more. I just wanna see the fight.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #467
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Default Re: Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito for the WBC Super Welterweight title

Quote:
Manny Pacquiao also a PPV champion

Manny Pacquiao already holds the record for winning titles in eight weight classes. Now, he has tied a record in the pay-per-view world.

Pacquiao matched former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson as the only fighter in pay-per-view history to generate at least one million buys for a fight in three consecutive years. HBO announced Tuesday that Pacquiao's one-sided battering of Antonio Margarito on Nov. 13 at Cowboys Stadium to win a vacant junior middleweight title -- his record-extending eighth -- generated at least 1.15 million buys and $64 million domestic pay-per-view revenue.

The number HBO reported is only an initial figure, with the total likely to rise once the buys are fully accounted for.

"We're thrilled with the PPV performance," said HBO senior vice president Mark Taffet, who runs HBO PPV. "With the breadth of interest from sports, entertainment and news media following Manny and the fight, boxing has tremendous momentum as we finish 2010 and head into a very exciting 2011."

Pacquiao's lopsided eighth-round destruction of Oscar De La Hoya, which sent him into retirement, generated 1.25 million buys in 2008. Pacquiao's 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto in 2009 sold 1.2 million units.

"This is the third consecutive year that a Manny Pacquiao megafight has exceeded 1 million buys and he has generated 5.1 million buys over his last five fights -- true measures of his PPV superstar status," Taffet said.

Pacquiao's other 2010 fight, a lopsided decision against Joshua Clottey at Cowboys Stadium in March, generated 700,000 buys. That fight was made on short notice and Clottey was a virtual unknown.

"I think the fight with Margarito did very, very well and we are constantly trying to figure out how to better our performances," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said. "Considering where we were when we announced the fight, nobody would have believed we would have done this. They said Margarito was disgraced and people talked about boycotting it."

Arum was referring to the scandal that engulfed Margarito, who had been caught in January 2009 of trying to enter his fight against Shane Mosley with loaded hand wraps. He was caught, had his license revoked by California regulators and became a pariah before Texas granted him a license to fight Pacquiao.

After Tyson was released from prison, he also did huge numbers for fights from 1995 to 1997. The total for Pacquiao-Margarito is the second-biggest pay-per-view of the year. Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s May win against Shane Mosley generated 1.4 million.

Of course, the biggest fight in boxing would match Pacquiao, the pound-for-pound king, with Mayweather. However, two rounds of negotiations have failed. When Mayweather rejected an offer to fight him on Nov. 13, Margarito was tapped instead.

Arum is proud of the fact that Pacquiao, who is from the Philippines, has become a major star in the United States.

"That's one of the achievements we can take credit for  taking a non-American and crossing him over," Arum said. "Can we do more? Yeah. Nobody would have dreamed that you could take a fighter from the Philippines and make him into an iconic American star and we've been able to do that. Most of the credit goes to Pacquiao, but we've been able to do that and now we have to improve on what we've done.

"It's a work in progress. It's one thing to do big numbers fighting Oscar De La Hoya, who always did big numbers. It's another doing them on his own, which he is now apparently able to do. One of the ways to put it into the stratosphere is to make the Mayweather fight, but that is out of my control.

"I hope that is the next fight."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5842507http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5842507

Looks like I was right on the money

at any one who thought this fight would only do slightly more or inexplicably less than the Clottey fight (not naming names, *cough, RBA, raiderfan*) ... like I said before, you guys clearly don't understand the power of hype.

And I'll come up with an avy later tonight for you raider. I won't be too harsh
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #468
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Raiderfan...

You get to pick, 2 weeks with the attached caption to be posted under your ISH name:

"Super Manny" (pretty straight forward, courtesy of Rezznor)

Doesn't need a caption

"Me= Manny's butt pirate"

Choose wisely
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #469
gts
shhhhhhh

lol "butt pirate"
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #470
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Raiderfan...

You get to pick, 2 weeks with the attached caption to be posted under your ISH name:

Doesn't need a caption

Choose wisely
Ill take the supermanny one. The computer Im on doesnt have the capability to resize it for an avy so any chance you could resize it to avy size for me?

Edit- Nevermind it worked. This work for you?

Last edited by raiderfan19 : 11-25-2010 at 01:12 AM.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #471
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

Quote:
Raiderfan...

Doesn't need a caption

Choose wisely

how bout this one, reminds me of that thread about how girls always make this face in their pics:

Last edited by magic chiongson : 11-25-2010 at 01:19 AM.
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #472
iamgine

So what's the final PPV number? Is it out yet?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #473
Lebron23
3rd Greatest Player

Results of the Margarito-Pacquiao Drug test.

They are both Clean.

Quote:
So both Manny Pacquiao & Antonio Margarito tested negative for everything, as I suspected would be the case. This was just Texas being Texas.

Quote:
Got call from #Manny Pacquaio lawyer last night on voice mail also releasing drug test results from Texas. Manny also clean for everything.

Quote:
So no great coverup, nobody failed any tests. Texas rules prohibit releasing of info without consent. Both sides consented to me directly.

http://twitter.com/#!/danrafaelespn
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: