Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 11-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
NBAEMoreira022
ISH Insider

Default NJ Nets- How to get back on the right track

NJ Nets- How to get back on the right track
By: Ethan Moreira

(Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank looks to get back to winning.)

Defense is ...
a. the practice or art of defending oneself or one's goal against attack.

b. the team attempting to thwart the attack of the team having the ball.

c. the players of a team who line up in their own defensive zone.

d. HOW YOU WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!

The Nets biggest problem has been stopping transition points, defending the perimeter, guarding post players inside the paint, and their lack of scoring. Finding the problem is easy, now how do you solve it? The Nets starting five has been looking weak, and it's time for a change. Jason Collins is a solid interior defender, but he isin't going to give you that many rebounds. On offense, when he is playing, it's always four on five. Sure Detroit used this scheme, and it gave them a championship, but not only did Ben Wallace defend inside the paint, he would also pull down 13 rebounds a game. Mikki Moore could be someone who will give you better offensive options, but he is still limited defensively. So the first step is to bring in a forward who can do just about everything. This is where Josh Boone comes in. He is still out right now, but the Nets need some young legs to keep up with the much younger, athletic guys in the league. Jason Collins, you have been good for us on defense, but you gotta go! You are a good guy, and you know the Nets offense just about as good as anybody, but you still aren't filling in the stat sheets. Josh Boone is capable of doing things you don't see on the Box Score, but he can also do more than that as well. Another problem is transition defense, this is how the Phoenix Suns destroyed the Nets. The Suns ran the Nets out of the building through 3 and a half quaters, and it's not like the Nets were'nt trying to defend. You would see Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, Nenad Kristic, and Richard Jefferson running down the lane but Steve Nash and Shawn Marion would make the defense look foolishly clueless. Alley Oops, Give n' Go, Pick n' Roll, Stop n' Pop, the Suns did everything in their playbook. All this while the Nets were beating themselves up. One thing we need to improve, stopping all this scoring. Now how do you do that? Bring more intensity on defense, make every point count. You have to communicate, play more help defense, guard better on the weakside, and this is where Lawrence Frank comes in. A little bit of yelling doesn't hurt.. and no I am not talking about yelling at referees. Hold your star players accountable, if they want the credit for winning, hold them accountable for losing too. Another problem has been scoring, the way I see it this team has been shooting way too much. What ever happend to being aggressive? Drive in to the basket, get teams in foul trouble. That's when the outside shooting comes in, when teams start to lock down the paint. The more the Nets shoot, the more teams have a better chance to start running and then it' where the problems starts. The Nets need to go back to the basics if they want to start winning again. With a record of 5-8 in the Atlantic Division, and you are in first place , it isin't saying much about your team.
NBAEMoreira022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default re

Collins has not been playin critical minutes, usuall getting 25-30 MPG or even less based on matchups with bigger guys. the Nets go small quite frequently.

anyway, people always say:

Nets need big man, Nets need big man.

but until a feasible solution is given, I think it' a given... Nets don't have the best interior big men.

moreover, most teams have not found a way to solve the Suns other than the Spurs and the Mavericks. go figure, title contenders. so using that example is rather unfair.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
NBAEMoreira022
ISH Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Collins has not been playin critical minutes, usuall getting 25-30 MPG or even less based on matchups with bigger guys. the Nets go small quite frequently.

anyway, people always say:

Nets need big man, Nets need big man.

but until a feasible solution is given, I think it' a given... Nets don't have the best interior big men.

moreover, most teams have not found a way to solve the Suns other than the Spurs and the Mavericks. go figure, title contenders. so using that example is rather unfair.

okay agree to disagree. So what's our problem if it isin't Collins? if Kenyon Martin still played for us, don't you think we would be a little bit better?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default re

the Kenyon Martin of old.

the current Martin is shut down for the rest of the season and about to get his second microfracture surgery on.... THE OTHER KNEE

his career is over.

if we had kept him, then we would be in the midst of a second losing season, RJ may not be around much longer, and Kidd may be contemplating retiring (or entering ring chaser mode)

anyway, what is my solution? i dont know yet, read my "nets woes" thread and see that until I see them playing the rest of the Eastern Conference with an intact roster (minus Cliffy since his prognosis is uncertain) then I won't know for certain what this team is made of.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
NBAEMoreira022
ISH Insider

Quote:

the current Martin is shut down for the rest of the season and about to get his second microfracture surgery on.... THE OTHER KNEE

his career is over.

if we had kept him, then we would be in the midst of a second losing season, RJ may not be around much longer, and Kidd may be contemplating retiring (or entering ring chaser mode)

anyway, what is my solution? i dont know yet, read my "nets woes" thread and see that until I see them playing the rest of the Eastern Conference with an intact roster (minus Cliffy since his prognosis is uncertain) then I won't know for certain what this team is made of.

Kenyon Martin is done?? that sucks so bad he is so young.... Rod Thorn looked like a genius for not signing him. Could this be the end of an Era? If RJ wouln't be around for that long, and if Jason Kidd wants to go for the gold, the Nets are done. IMO, the should just rebuild around Marcus Williams after the season is over. The Nets should trade Vince Carter before the season ends, he needs ANOTHER fresh start again. I want to see him do better, his body language is terrible right now.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default re

well about Kenyon, he has not thrown in the towel we've all seen the victims of the dreaded microfracture, and now Kenyon will be a victim of double microfracture... on BOTH KNEES.

can i hear GIMP?

anyway, if the Nets do not go on a hot streak versus the East, then look for Thorn to trade Carter by the deadline. most likely a three way or multiple team deal to get Carter to where he wants (because teams will have no incentive to get a player who will opt out) and to get the Nets want they need.

and Kidd is loyal to the franchise, he would only ring chase if he felt the NEts betrayed him by making terrible front office decisions, which has not been the case so far. besides Kidd even said if he retires without a ring it will be okay.

and RJ isn't going anywhere... unless a very talented big man in his prime is involved but.... meh
Old 11-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
RichMo
OL' Schoolin 'em

Quote:

his career is over.

I think It's all a master plan of the genius (Thorn) to get Kenyon back with the Nets. Thorn has paid off a doctor to "suggest" a micro fracture in Kenyon's leg. They will then perform a phony surgery. After the surgery the Suns will look at getting rid of him because they are worried he will never be the same. The genius will then offer a deal to get Kenyon back for nothing. Kenyon will be in on it the whole time.
After all remember how quick he recovered when his leg was broken with the Nets? He came back better than ever. It's a set up. Crazier things have happened in the world of big bussiness. I think they set the plan last year when Kenyon came to Jersey for the playoffs.
Wow, This sounds so good I almost convinced myself It could be true.
RichMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default re

possible? yes

probable? uncertain.

enjoyable? very much so.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
NBAEMoreira022
ISH Insider