Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-23-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default The psychology behind plastic surgery

I was having a debate on another messageboard about the fact that I personally believe that people that have plastic surgery for purely cosmetic reasons are generally people that have "issues".

I was then asked the question of "if you had a wife, and she had a mastectomy (removal of one, or two breats usually for cancer) would you think it was wrong if she went and had breast implants?"

My response to that logic was that corrective surgery, to replace, and or repair a damaged and, or missing part of your body is VASTLY different than the sheer vanity of a woman that physically changes the way she looks just to "make herself feel better"

Of course, on this board, it was mostly FEMALES up in arms about this, because to me, its generally a female trait to feel like they need to constantly be beautiful for the masses....but like I said, Im of the opinion, that there is no debate....and its quite obvious that a woman, OR A MAN...that gets pure cosmetic surgery (breast implants, chin, eyes, face lift, nose job, etc) is someone that has issues with themselves.

What say you? Most of the females there thought it was "normal" and nothing wrong with it....(which is true, nothing WRONG with getting work) but the fact to me, remains true.....YOU HAVE ISSUES.

Fact, or fiction?
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The psychology behind plastic surgery

I kind of agree with you. I don't know about "issues" per se, but there's definitely quite a bit of insecurity involved if they feel the need to permanently modify their image. It's not something casual like changing up your hairstyle.
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Dave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would agree 100% with you, but in today's society so much is placed on appearance that an unattractive person essentially has no chance in so many things. I personally don't care at all for appearance and I'm lucky enough to have a group of friends that are the same way so I'm not self conscious about my appearance and I'm satisfied with it. In certain situations though (judging from stories on this board) it seems a generally unattractive individual can catch no break from the people around them due to those people being so shallow. In that case I can't really blame them to be honest...
I personally would never resort to something like that but in what seems to be such a messed up society it's difficult to blame people.

Last edited by Dave3 : 10-23-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well, to me plastic surgery is just an extension of many other things. You could say the same about the clothes you wear: If you go out shopping do you buy for function or for appearance and "swag-value" as well? And how much more money do you spend on clothes that you don't buy purely for practical reasons?
Or cars. A lot of popular American cars are total pieces of shit. Escalades. Corvettes. All shite, but people still buy them because of the status these items have.
Any number of things really.

The bottom line is that people are concerned with how others view them. Some a bit more than the other. Paying thousands to voluntarily go through surgery to make your nose a little smaller is a bit extreme maybe, but the motivation behind it is purely natural and common to all regular/healthy people.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
The bottom line is that people are concerned with how others view them. Some a bit more than the other. Paying thousands to voluntarily go through surgery to make your nose a little smaller is a bit extreme maybe, but the motivation behind it is purely natural and common to all regular/healthy people.

i doubt that the ingrained insecurity is "purely natural".

many cultures around the world, namely n.american culture, are obsessed w/vanity.

Businesses profit/benefit big time from "our" need to be accepted.

to me, this is like saying that the obesity epidemic is an accident.
BRabbiT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation here

I watched Nip/Tuck from the very first episode in 2003. Really have been fascinated by plastic surgury ever since.

In the show they say that women who get breast implants are 3 times more likely to kill themselves than women who don't.

That says a lot to me. No one is perfect, but to want to change something about yourself to the point of going under the knife, that is drastic.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
I was having a debate on another messageboard about the fact that I personally believe that people that have plastic surgery for purely cosmetic reasons are generally people that have "issues".

I was then asked the question of "if you had a wife, and she had a mastectomy (removal of one, or two breats usually for cancer) would you think it was wrong if she went and had breast implants?"

My response to that logic was that corrective surgery, to replace, and or repair a damaged and, or missing part of your body is VASTLY different than the sheer vanity of a woman that physically changes the way she looks just to "make herself feel better"

Of course, on this board, it was mostly FEMALES up in arms about this, because to me, its generally a female trait to feel like they need to constantly be beautiful for the masses....but like I said, Im of the opinion, that there is no debate....and its quite obvious that a woman, OR A MAN...that gets pure cosmetic surgery (breast implants, chin, eyes, face lift, nose job, etc) is someone that has issues with themselves.

What say you? Most of the females there thought it was "normal" and nothing wrong with it....(which is true, nothing WRONG with getting work) but the fact to me, remains true.....YOU HAVE ISSUES.

Fact, or fiction?
Everybody has issues. Everybody has insecurities.

Most people has traits that they hate about themselves. For example, those who have unusually big nose tend to hate their big nose and wish to change it. The difference is some choose to change it through surgery while some choose not to, perhaps buying glasses or getting haircut that downplay the big nose. So what is the difference between these 2 groups?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan

Lakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There's nothing wrong with plastic surgery at all. Looks matter in life, believe it or not.

Ever see somebody who had a horrible nose, they get a nose job and look 1000X better? Is that just vanity?

Better looks get you a better mate, better jobs, people react to you differently.....its whatever gives you more confidence in life.

Some people overdo it and I think that's where you get problems. Or some people are so obsessed that even a minor flaw becomes plastic surgery worthy. But generally, if it makes someone feel better about themselves, why do you have issue with it?
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Well, to me plastic surgery is just an extension of many other things. You could say the same about the clothes you wear: If you go out shopping do you buy for function or for appearance and "swag-value" as well? And how much more money do you spend on clothes that you don't buy purely for practical reasons?
Or cars. A lot of popular American cars are total pieces of shit. Escalades. Corvettes. All shite, but people still buy them because of the status these items have.
Any number of things really.

To me, there is a difference between wanting to dress nice, comb your hair neatly, look presentable, and having a positive self image through enhancing what you already have, compared to literally going under a knife, to physically alter your face/body permantely though.

One is in the realm of positive self image, and the other creeps into the realm of severe insecurities.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

As a student of psychology, I tend to agree with the OP. I would recommend looking up the video "The Perfect Penis" online. It is about guys (with normal penises) who seek to enlarge their penis through surgery. Just a warning, it is pretty graphic, but very informative.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:26 AM   #12
RoTM
Local High School Star

RoTM has an OK reputation so far

Sick people get plastic surgery for reasons, and normal people get it for reasons. The difference is purely motivational and to me the substance of the actual procedure is irrelevant. I got no problems with some chick thinking boobs will help her career or whatever. I really don't even see the problem with someone just wanting to look better for completely selfish reasons. Most of what people do in life is motivated by selfishness so why should this be different. Maybe thats just a difference of perspective.
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 AM   #13
RoTM
Local High School Star

RoTM has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerlove420

This is just a crime against like nature or god or mankind or something.
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:34 AM   #14
magnax1
Green Union's Grant

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you're going to say women who have plastic surgery have issues, then so do women who wear make up. There really isn't a difference other then many can't afford plastic surgery and it isn't as well accepted culturally. It's really no different then a man who buys an expensive car. It just makes you look better to the opposite sex.
magnax1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 AM   #15
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
If you're going to say women who have plastic surgery have issues, then so do women who wear make up. There really isn't a difference other then many can't afford plastic surgery and it isn't as well accepted culturally. It's really no different then a man who buys an expensive car. It just makes you look better to the opposite sex.

Wearing makeup is not the same as surgery.....that's a stretch man.

Makeup could lead to what? Lewd comments and acne?

Bad surgery could ruin your life.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: