Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
scm5
Good college starter

scm5 has decent reputation
Default shooting release

How do you position your hand when you release the ball on a shot?

I feel like after I changed my release from pointing downwards (gooseneck) to slightly pointing upwards, I am so much more accurate, especially on midrange shots.

Part of this might be because I angle the shot higher whereas when I goosenecked, the ball hit the front of the rim very often.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: shooting release

In my experience, more spin is added when u point your wrist downwards. I think that you don't have enough arc in your shot or something. Try shooting upwards close up 20 times like around 5 feet away from the basket then shoot downwards close up 20 times around 5 feet too. I can 99% guarantee that you'll make most of the shots while shooting downward.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jerzymade has an OK reputation so far

start off close to the rim with one hand and shoot the ball as you would regularly and move back until you swish about five. when you get to the free throw line and add the second hand. This drill will help with form and follow through.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i can't talk about my shooting release, it's horrible .. but i practised so many times that now it's an effective shoot.

Last edited by Maga_1 : 10-26-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #5
OMG its McLovin
Can barely lace up my sneakers

OMG its McLovin has an OK reputation so far

Your wrist should be like a gooseneck and you should have a 1 finger release, usually that finger is bent slightly lower than the rest. But you shouldn't try to have the most PERFECT shooting form ever, you should just try to get as close as you can while still being able to shoot comfortably.
OMG its McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

if gooseneck is causing your shot to come up short, you probably need to add a little arc and you're probably shooting it a little too early instead of letting roll off your fingertip
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you're not getting over the rim with that traditional release, it's probably because of one of two things. The first and one you'll hear the most often is the no legs argument. Are you driving up with your legs. When your legs get tired you'll tend to come up short.
But if it's happening consistently like you're saying, then it's probably a case of elbow drive. When you hold the ball in one hand in shooting position, try literally pushing that elbow upward with your other hand. The whole arm should straighten out. The problem when you go to shoot from distance is that you try to sling the ball to much to create that distance, which flattens out the shot. There should be little forward motion from the elbow joint. It should be almost all upward. The forward motion should come from the wrist. Hence the gooseneck, and hence why I always try to talk shooters into burying their workouts with forearm curls, which create quick release and increased range without warping your form.

The flat handed release does work well in the midrange floater game. It lets you get shots off from weirder angles, and the knuckle ball hits prett soft on the glass from in close, but the flight won't be as true, which is less of an issue in close, but from fifteen feet or so it's a big problem.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

it needs to be downward (goose neck).

what you described is what "experts" calls follow through.

following through will give you better accuracy but i think it's whatever you are comfortable with and stick with it

dont keep changing it thats what f up people's shot
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
scm5
Good college starter

scm5 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
If you're not getting over the rim with that traditional release, it's probably because of one of two things. The first and one you'll hear the most often is the no legs argument. Are you driving up with your legs. When your legs get tired you'll tend to come up short.
But if it's happening consistently like you're saying, then it's probably a case of elbow drive. When you hold the ball in one hand in shooting position, try literally pushing that elbow upward with your other hand. The whole arm should straighten out. The problem when you go to shoot from distance is that you try to sling the ball to much to create that distance, which flattens out the shot. There should be little forward motion from the elbow joint. It should be almost all upward. The forward motion should come from the wrist. Hence the gooseneck, and hence why I always try to talk shooters into burying their workouts with forearm curls, which create quick release and increased range without warping your form.

The flat handed release does work well in the midrange floater game. It lets you get shots off from weirder angles, and the knuckle ball hits prett soft on the glass from in close, but the flight won't be as true, which is less of an issue in close, but from fifteen feet or so it's a big problem.

Repped!

I think this is exactly what was wrong with my shot. My 3's are spot on and rarely ever hit front rim whereas my midrange shots were hitting front rim pretty often as of late, which caused me to change my release.

The problem is, after a shootaround yesterday, I feel super comfortable with my "flat handed" release (no goosenecking) in my midrange game. There is a lot more arc and overall, I feel a lot more control when shooting the ball this way.

I was talking about my release to a friend and he told me to check out MJ's release, and to my surprise, MJ didn't gooseneck either. My release is a lot like his release, and my fingers don't point downward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Uw5B--arA

For a clear shot on MJ's release look at his shot around2:01 and 4:06. That's almost exactly what I do now.

Last edited by scm5 : 10-26-2010 at 03:03 PM.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: