Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
zay_24
Local High School Star
 
zay_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,523
Default What's the worst city you have been to?

For me it would be Dallas. One of the fastest and diverse cities but yet everything is spaced out far as ****. The weather is horrible and the people who were born n raised here are oblivious to how lame their city is comparred to others. Not to mention they take their whole style from other cities then claim it as their own.


Crime rise it's LA by far. Drivebys cop shootings, etc. Stuff was crazy.
zay_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over
 
Manute for Ever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Singapore, via Australia
Posts: 9,301
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

I haven't been to the USA, but Athens, Greece is the worst I've encountered in my travels. The city is a dirty, decrepit shithole, crime is rife (I met a guy who had been robbed twice and he had only been there since that morning), and people shoot up smack a few feet from police officers. Add all that to the shootings and street crime and you have an absolute armpit of a city.
Sure, they've got the Acropolis, but there's a lot more to Athens than that... Almost all of it shit.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Slam13
Banned
 
Slam13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Estonia
Posts: 771
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
I haven't been to the USA, but Athens, Greece is the worst I've encountered in my travels. The city is a dirty, decrepit shithole, crime is rife (I met a guy who had been robbed twice and he had only been there since that morning), and people shoot up smack a few feet from police officers. Add all that to the shootings and street crime and you have an absolute armpit of a city.
Sure, they've got the Acropolis, but there's a lot more to Athens than that... Almost all of it shit.
I agree 100%, Athens for me too.
Slam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Fatal9
owwwww
 
Fatal9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,571
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

Came in here to specifically say Athens too. What a dump.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over
 
Manute for Ever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Singapore, via Australia
Posts: 9,301
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

I made the mistake of staying in Ommonia, the red light district when I was in Athens.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
beermonsteroo
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 1,591
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

Tijuana. By far the biggest shithole i've ever seen.

Last edited by beermonsteroo : 10-28-2010 at 12:13 PM.
beermonsteroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,856
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

That's a damn shame about Athens, I've always wanted to go to Greece and the Mediterranean.

The worst city I've been to is no surprise: Detroit, MI. I was there for three days with some friends for a massive conference; the first we stayed in downtown Detroit surrounded by meth-head junkies, deserted and depleting buildings, Homeless Square, and trash and filth everywhere. We immediately canceled our next two nights and got new rooms outside of downtown somewhere. I don't remember where exactly but it was still an absolute dump, at least I didn't feel like I was going to get knifed for my wallet though.

Dishonorable Mention: Louisville, KY. Stayed here for 5 days in high school for an AAU tournament. The people were extremely warm and welcoming, but the actual city was filthy and smelled like ass. My teammates and I went to a Steak N Shake at 3 a.m. on our last night. WOW. What a sight.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
DatDudeD
In DUKE mode
 
DatDudeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wild Wild West
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
Tijuana. By far the biggest shithole i've ever seen.
yeah pretty much, i move from club to club and then get my ass back across the border. I mean you are literally a walking billboard for prostitutes, scammers and crooked cops over there.
DatDudeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 14,311
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

Miami Beach is awesome, but I wasn't impressed by downtown Miami one bit.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
beermonsteroo
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 1,591
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatDudeD
yeah pretty much, i move from club to club and then get my ass back across the border. I mean you are literally a walking billboard for prostitutes, scammers and crooked cops over there.

Honestly i don't know about the night life. I was 15 when i was there. I was on holidays in California with my parents and made a day trip there. Somehow the whole city scared me. All the dirt, shady looking people everywehre, just didn't feel comfortable at all. I can't even imagine what it must be there like at night.
beermonsteroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Done_And_Done
D & D
 
Done_And_Done's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Embedded In Your Cranium...
Posts: 7,744
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
That's a damn shame about Athens, I've always wanted to go to Greece and the Mediterranean.

The worst city I've been to is no surprise: Detroit, MI. I was there for three days with some friends for a massive conference; the first we stayed in downtown Detroit surrounded by meth-head junkies, deserted and depleting buildings, Homeless Square, and trash and filth everywhere. We immediately canceled our next two nights and got new rooms outside of downtown somewhere. I don't remember where exactly but it was still an absolute dump, at least I didn't feel like I was going to get knifed for my wallet though.

Dishonorable Mention: Louisville, KY. Stayed here for 5 days in high school for an AAU tournament. The people were extremely warm and welcoming, but the actual city was filthy and smelled like ass. My teammates and I went to a Steak N Shake at 3 a.m. on our last night. WOW. What a sight.


You took my thunder Randy!!
Sorry Deuce but Detroit may very well be the armpit of North America. I only spent a few nights there on 2 separate occasions so I might be jumping the gun a little but I saw more then enough to convince myself that I'm making an accurate assertion here...

Also, Hamilton Ontario is no post card city itself. The irony of it being called Steel Town is not lost on me...
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
zay_24
Local High School Star
 
zay_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,523
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?u

I had the honor of staying in East Saint Louis a couple of times
I remember walking to the liquor store and saw a group(about 7-8) of hookers (all around 14-17) walking threw alleys and looking for cusomers. When I finally got to the store it was about 4 drunks of the corner, a crackhead In the middle of the stree and another group of people across the street. Around the corner is a block of old dirty houses that had people sitting on the porch and barking at anything that walks by. smh
zay_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
DatDudeD
In DUKE mode
 
DatDudeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wild Wild West
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
Honestly i don't know about the night life. I was 15 when i was there. I was on holidays in California with my parents and made a day trip there. Somehow the whole city scared me. All the dirt, shady looking people everywehre, just didn't feel comfortable at all. I can't even imagine what it must be there like at night.

well consider this a Heads up if you ever decide to go there...
DatDudeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
DPittman
Banned
 
DPittman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 382
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Miami Beach is awesome, but I wasn't impressed by downtown Miami one bit.


yeah downtown miami is bad
DPittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
Kensta
National High School Star
 
Kensta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,058
Default Re: What's the worst city you have been to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
Tijuana. By far the biggest shithole i've ever seen.

+2

If it wasn't for Adalita Bar, I would never even set foot in that city.
Kensta is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy