Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Goodell seriously considering UK NFL franchise

Quote:
Goodell explained that playing multiple games in London will be a precursor to placement of a team there on a permanent basis. "I think the next step will be multiple games and if that's successful then I think the idea of a franchise here is realistic," Goodell said. "As far as a timetable, I'll just say one thing: I'm not as concerned about doing it with any sort of a time frame other than as fast as is practical, but you want to be successful. That's more important to me than making it fit within any sort of time frame."

Goodell emphasized that he's also not twiddling his thumbs in this regard. "Don't mistake me as being patient," he said. "I'm not a very patients individual." And so he said that it's "very possible" an NFL team will be headquartered in London during Goodell's tenure as NFL Commissioner

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-uk-franchise/

Does Goodell have any common sense whatsoever?? The time difference alone makes this an asinine idea. The difference between the West coast and the UK is 8 f*cking hours... so you're telling me that a team wants to make an international trip 8 times a season? No player is going to want to play over there, living in a culture that just doesn't really care about or embrace your sport, completely isolated from the rest of the league. And good luck getting free agents to sign over there with a roughly 1.6:1 exchange rate. Just a terrible f*cking idea.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: Goodell seriously considering UK NFL franchise

The only league I could see with any argument for a UK franchise is the NBA and even that is a horrible idea.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
The only league I could see with any argument for a UK franchise is the NBA and even that is a horrible idea.

With 82 games? No ****ing way! Why not expand to the American southern hemisphere if they want to go international? Either way, expanding to international franchises (outside of Canada or maybe Mexico City) is a bad idea that will result in a lot of wasted time and money.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Intercontinental expansion may be too tough to pull off. You can put a team there, there will always be somewhat talented players that want that NFL paycheck. But if a player can get 5 mil per from both Miami and London, who's going to pick London? Generally speaking, Americans want to live in America, they don't want to have to cross the Atlantic to visit their mothers or play for a team their native country doesn't care about.

Goodell's enthusiasm for this is no doubt justified by the enthusiasm the British have shown for the games played over there, but he should be a little worried by the failure of NFL Europe. If they had a good team over there it would probably get some support, but it would initially be an expansion team getting slapped around, and the NFL FA rules make it hard enough to sign a guy off of someone else's roster, with the added issue of having to go overseas they would always be at a severe disadvantage, overpaying for the few guys they bring in. And then there's the travel. Opposing teams would be irritated by the one trip there per season, but what about the London franchise spending two days on travel every other week? That'd be awful.

We should just accept the fact that other than parts of Canada and Mexico, the rest of the world doesn't share our passion for football. Internationally soccer (which the rest of the world actually calls "football") is firmly #1 and basketball is a distant #2. Our version of football really doesn't rate, and they have rugby anyway.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

It's a risk obviously, and NFL Players really aren't going to want to play in the UK. As a one-off it's fine but multiple games will cause issues.
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
craigthomasb
College star

wouldnt work, NFL fans sell out wembley once a year when they get their only chance to watch a live nfl game, but if a franchise started in the UK, it would not sell out every week, it wont be anywhere near as popular.

main problem is nfl fans in the UK have "their team" and theyve been following them a long time, they wouldnt just switch to a new team just because their from the UK, which is what the NFL would need
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb
wouldnt work, NFL fans sell out wembley once a year when they get their only chance to watch a live nfl game, but if a franchise started in the UK, it would not sell out every week, it wont be anywhere near as popular.

main problem is nfl fans in the UK have "their team" and theyve been following them a long time, they wouldnt just switch to a new team just because their from the UK, which is what the NFL would need

I don't think the fanbase thing would be a problem. If a team moved into London all of UK would probably be behind them(that's the ones that care about football).

**** it, I think it's a good idea. If a successful team can operate in London maybe more will follow in other European cities like Berlin, Paris, Munich, etc..
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Jackass18
The Iron Price

I like the idea, but it doesn't sound practical. Why not try Canada first?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Am I the only one who thinks the massive differences in the tax codes and not so massive differences in the value of the currency is in itself too much to make it realistic?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #10
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Goodell's a moron. When he first became the commish, I liked him. But he's become too inconsistent in his suspensions and fines and he's making himself TOO much involved in everything.

Are you serious? A freakin franchise across the world? No one will want to play for that team. Could you imagine a team having to fly across the globe for 8 games? Players would never see their families.

It's just a stupid idea all the way around.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #12
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
Goodell's a moron. When he first became the commish, I liked him. But he's become too inconsistent in his suspensions and fines and he's making himself TOO much involved in everything.

Are you serious? A freakin franchise across the world? No one will want to play for that team. Could you imagine a team having to fly across the globe for 8 games? Players would never see their families.

It's just a stupid idea all the way around.
not saying I like the idea but I am sure the team would live and set up training camp here in the US...

I can seeing why he would want to do this, spreading it across the world is opening the doors to new markets...every time the US has played games in Europe they sell out...

I believe there is a game this weekend in London btw...and I bet it sells out...

there is a market there for it, but it might take a while for them to see the light and understand how it is 100x greater than soccer...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
craigthomasb
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
I don't think the fanbase thing would be a problem. If a team moved into London all of UK would probably be behind them(that's the ones that care about football).

**** it, I think it's a good idea. If a successful team can operate in London maybe more will follow in other European cities like Berlin, Paris, Munich, etc..

what I am saying is the pasionate nfl fans in the UK are allready hardcore fans of their teams (Packers, Giants, Raiders etc) they wont just swap alleigences just like that
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb
what I am saying is the pasionate nfl fans in the UK are allready hardcore fans of their teams (Packers, Giants, Raiders etc) they wont just swap alleigences just like that

They would... Would you support a team that's over 500 miles from you or a team in your backyard where you can actually attend games and be part of the team or be a nobody rooting for the cowboys while they are 500 miles away.

I don't really think there's that much hardcore fans in the UK and if there is good for you guys, shows the game is becoming popular.

It seems like Germany and England are the biggest Euro/International markets for football outside the US.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:48 AM   #15
TennesseeFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
lol
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: