Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 11-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #16
Dr. Hoopenstein
Rise Above The Comp

Default Re: Tony Wroten aka Mr Telephone Man Named Clash Of The Clashes MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
If how highly-rated you were when you were a high school sophomore matters then Rich McBride would have been one of the best players in Illinois history. He was a year younger than Andre Igoudalia at Springfield Lanphier and until Iggy's senior year, he was considered McBride's sidekick.

And that isn't a rare exception. There are plenty of guys like that every year, who are considered the best in the nation in their class when they're young and don't turn out to be 5-star players when they're seniors.

A lot changes in two years, and I'm not saying Wroten can't be great. I don't know. But some kids mature early and the field catches up to them. As far as I can tell, Wroten seems to be one of those guys: not a sure-fire one and done, but a guy with a great chance to be a really good college player and possibly an NBA future.

Maybe I'm wrong. Neither of us will know for at least a couple of years. But at the moment, it seems batshit crazy to compare him to someone like Wall.

Maybe, but not one person who does that for a living thinks he's even top 20. We'll see how his senior year goes on a hopefully healthy knee.

Hey, we all have our biases. I have a hard time believing there were 23 better players in the 2010 class than Jereme Richmond.

The major services update their rankings several times over the summer, so the most recent ones would be pretty reflective of where they think guys currently stand. Nothing's happened between the most recent updates- which happened at the end of the summer- and now that would have changed them. I don't know if some local all-star game at a YMCA- seriously?- really means anything.

And the article YOU posted said that "Wiltjer was the highest rated player in the game and he played like that at times." So if that's accurate, even if it was just "at times," that doesn't sound like a convincing account that Wroten has proven he's a superior player to the point that it's common sense.

Common sense says not to salivate over 17-year old basketball players and have such little doubt about their futures, especially if they've already had major knee surgery.

Tony Wroten has been the number 1 player in his class ever since 6th grade this isn't just some one year phenomenon we're talking about here. He has dominate at the National AAU circuit for years now against the best in his age class.

The only reason he slipped in the rankings is because of his injury and the doubts surrounding that whole situation. Barring injuries he will only get better as he just proved in Oregon against the best HS players in the Northwest and he was the best of the best bar none- a man amongst boys don't get it twisted.

As well I'm well aware of the media hype trap in HS basketball but TW is hype with the skills to back it up just ask Seattle NBA hoopsters like Doug Christie (retired), Nate Robinson (his cousin), Brandon Roy (Garfield HS/UW alum), Jamal Crawford, Martell Webster, Terrance Williams, Rodney Stuckey, Jon Brockman, Jason Terry, Spencer Hawes, Aaron Brooks, Marvin Williams, Luke Ridnour & Avery Bradley- who have all co signed on his NBA abilities as some point but what would they know they just played with, against him?

Not to mention my own lying eyes I have only been around Seattle HS basketball since 1984 and TW is better than anyone that I have ever seen in Seattle HS basketball point blank.

TW has actually played against JWall before and JWall even thinks TW's game is similar to his scroll through his twitter account to see for yourself: http://twitter.com/tonetone13

We'll see where TW is at when the next recruiting service updates are released. As well Tony skipped all the major summertime events where these services gather a majority of their information from- I believe I posted that already.

Fyi- Wiltjer looked normal compared to TW- watch the full game video I linked up not to mention that Wiltjer tried to guard TW and TW blew right past him plus TW rejected a 3pt Wiltjer shot attempt back in his face for good measure.

TW was by far the best player on the court all the first hand reports that I have heard confirm that he was ie he was the MVP w/ 42 points no one else had more than 20. Plus he's only getting bigger, faster & better everyday. If you think it was just some local all star game at a YMCA that thought is self containing.

G-D willing TW will be wherever & whenever his talents take him barring injuries that will be in the NBA sooner rather than later as time will tell. Remember you heard it here 1st.lol

Last edited by Dr. Hoopenstein : 11-03-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Dr. Hoopenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:40 AM   #17
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeridnour08
Wrotens the truth.

Best HS player ever in seattle.
This includes Brandon Roy.

Everybody involved with the highschool AAU scene has seen this kid dominate games the same way Lebron and OJ and JWall did.

However, he aint ever gonna put up MVP stats or nothing. That just aint his game. So dont expect that.

NBA Prediction: Gary Payton.
You heard it hear first

He really was dominating his class. I heard about him when he was just a 7th grader. He is more closer to Brandon Jennings type of dominating HS hoops, which is mainly because of that ACL injury or he would be in the Wall, Melo, Durant, Rose, OJ or LeBron type those guys were freaks in high school compared to their competition. LeBron won a national championship, Derrick Rose won the public league, Mayo 6 year varsity player, ABCD camp MVP as a sophomore, 4 state titles.

Yes, Wroten reminds me of a mix between GP and Wade, with a little bit of Steve Nash.
O.J A 6'4Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #18
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hoopenstein
Tony Wroten has been the number 1 player in his class ever since 6th grade this isn't just some one year phenomenon we're talking about here. He has dominate at the National AAU circuit for years now against the best in his age class.

The only reason he slipped in the rankings is because of his injury and the doubts surrounding that whole situation. Barring injuries he will only get better as he just proved in Oregon against the best HS players in the Northwest and he was the best of the best bar none- a man amongst boys don't get it twisted.

As well I'm well aware of the media hype trap in HS basketball but TW is hype with the skills to back it up just ask Seattle NBA hoopsters like Doug Christie (retired), Nate Robinson (his cousin), Brandon Roy (Garfield HS/UW alum), Jamal Crawford, Jason Terry, Spencer Hawes, Aaron Brooks, Marvin Williams, Luke Ridnour who have all co signed on his NBA abilities as some point but what would they know they just played with, against him?

Not to mention my own lying eyes I have only been around Seattle HS basketball since 1984 and TW is better than anyone that I have ever seen in Seattle HS basketball point blank.

TW has actually played against JWall before and JWall even thinks TW's game is similar to his scroll through his twitter account to see for yourself: http://twitter.com/tonetone13

We'll see where TW is at when the next recruiting service updates are released. As well Tony skipped all the major summertime events where these services gather a majority of their information from- I believe I posted that already.

Fyi- Wiltjer looked normal compared to TW- watch the full game video I linked up not to mention that Wiltjer tried to guard TW and TW blew right past him plus TW rejected a 3pt Wiltjer shot attempt back in his face for good measure.

TW was by far the best player on the court all the first hand reports that I have heard confirm that he was ie he was the MVP w/ 42 points no one else had more than 20. Plus he's only getter bigger, faster & better everyday. If you think it was just some local all star game at a YMCA that thought is self containing.

G-D willing TW will be wherever & whenever his talents take him barring injuries that will be in the NBA sooner rather than later as time will tell. Remember you heard it here 1st.lol

Yeah, everyone I have talked to around the seattle area is saying he is better than Brandon Roy at the age of 17. They also said he is the best player ever to be produced from that Seattle area, which includes Brandon Roy, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson and Rodney Stuckey.

Yeah, the first time I heard about Wroten was as a 7th grader, I have been following him, not in depth, but nevertheless following him since then.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #19
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

Also guys don't let the # rank besides the name make your determination of a player, I'm talking to you TheGame414 They have been plenty of unranked top 100 HS guys to be rookie of the year, rookie of the year runner ups, all stars, MVPs etc. You don't have to be a known basketball name like John Wall, OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant at the age of 17 and have a top 5 rank next to your name.

A guy like Russell Wesbrook couldn't even slam dunk a ball his senior year. Steph Curry, who was that at 17. Evan Turner 2nd pick in the NBA was a 3 star prospect.

With that being said, everyone in the Seattle area is seeing some special about this kid ( Wroten). He just has that "it" factor, and a whole lot of game to back it up. I fully believe he has the potential to be not just one of the best, but the best PG in the NBA in his prime and their are a lot of people again especially in the Seattle area that will agreed with me.

Last edited by O.J A 6'4Mamba : 11-03-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:29 AM   #20
Dr. Hoopenstein
Rise Above The Comp

Actually ESPN has Wiltjer at #12 and TW @ #31. (*looks like the ESPN rankings were updated sometime between my post and this am lol). Wiltjer is now #16 & TW #22.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...iting/rankings

I agree alot of National rankings (politics) overlook the late bloomers or glorify the early peakers or media hyped players but like OJ A 6'4 Mamba said TW is the truth folks who know basketball in the greater Seattle area all agree even if they have personal biases against TW that he's a very, very special talent.

If not for his injury, which may have been a blessing in disguise, TW would most likely be mentioned as being among the very top recruits of 2011 but all things being relative it is what it is and his game will do his talking for him- as he has previously said on twitter when question about his National rankings status.

As well the 206 area has seen it's share of recent NBA HS aged talent pass through the various local HS gyms in order to make a cognitive assessment of TW's current skill level & potential upside.

Also, most hs basketball following folks in Seattle remember the very talented can't miss NBA prospect from O'Dea hs named Doug Wrenn in the late 90s whose attitude betrayed his talent & NBA aspirations- I have see both sides of the coin so to say and TW has the family support to go with his talents that help to keep him grounded plus focused on his life goals.

How good will TW eventually be? Idk, but I will have a good time watching his game, person grow & mature right here in the Pacific NW that's for certain.

Last edited by Dr. Hoopenstein : 11-03-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #21
MMKM
Local High School Star

How is TW ranked #23 on ESPN's Super 60? That's a joke. Total diss on the Seattle basketball scene.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #22
Dr. Hoopenstein
Rise Above The Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKM
How is TW ranked #23 on ESPN's Super 60? That's a joke. Total diss on the Seattle basketball scene.
TW is a certified top 10 player without a doubt in my mnid but alot of folks who rank hs players are still doubting his abilities post ACL surgery for whatever reasons well that is just more gasoline for TW's fire. At the end of the year TW should be up for every major HS post season award & all star game G-D willing he stay's healthy.

Adversity builds character.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #23
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
Yeah, everyone I have talked to around the seattle area is saying he is better than Brandon Roy at the age of 17. They also said he is the best player ever to be produced from that Seattle area, which includes Brandon Roy, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson and Rodney Stuckey.

Yeah, the first time I heard about Wroten was as a 7th grader, I have been following him, not in depth, but nevertheless following him since then.

Everyone in Seattle is super high on Wroten....including me. However, the verdict is still out and whether he'll be better than Brandon Roy. Roy is probably the most complete player to ever come out of Seattle. Wroten is on his way but I can't give him that credit just yet. It's crazy how much hype and attention he get's. People have been talking about him since he was a little kid. Dude has real natural talent.

Don't forget about Aaron Brooks...he's an All-star in the making. Very impressive for such a small size (5'11 160).

Doug Wrenn was a beast as well. Too bad his antics and attitude caught up to me. Instead of playing in the NBA repping the 206, he's sitting in a jail cell for some BS charge. What a shame.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #24
Dr. Hoopenstein
Rise Above The Comp

Aaron Brooks, Franklin HS/Rotary Select, is a solid player on the rise no doubt.

Seattle is producing some real nice ballers.

True Wroten still has alot of work to do to get on Roy's level but he's well on his way G-D willing.

Doug Wrenn had both the physical gift & the mental curse. I heard about him allegedly pulling a gun out on a motorist in the Bellevue area for whatever reason....life is not a rap video......smh

Last edited by Dr. Hoopenstein : 11-07-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
Dr. Hoopenstein
Rise Above The Comp

@ TheGame414

Here is a relative Wroten article going into his sophmore season as the number #1 ranked player in his class:
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/780686.html
Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #26
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Two questions:

First, why is he called Mr. Telephone Man? It's a tremendous moniker but I have to wonder how it came about.

Second, what's the deal with the link in the first post of him dunking then walking to the bench to drink Gatorade? Crazy random, unless the game was still ongoing without him while he drank.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #27
Dr. Hoopenstein
Rise Above The Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Two questions:

First, why is he called Mr. Telephone Man? It's a tremendous moniker but I have to wonder how it came about.

Second, what's the deal with the link in the first post of him dunking then walking to the bench to drink Gatorade? Crazy random, unless the game was still ongoing without him while he drank.
Glad that you like it.

I actually came up with the moniker being a New Edition (Mr Telephone Man) listener as a kid plus being a follower of Karl "The Mail Man" Malone it struck me a natural fit for Seattle's own teen sensation Tony Wroten ala 1980s New Edition.

As well Tone Tone be dropping dimes (assists) all over the court while dialing up for 3s from long distance plus hooking his teammates up with connections- the line is never busy.lol

As well, if there are any potential legal copywrite issues with the Mr Telephone Man moniker ie New Edition, he can just use The Telephone Man moniker instead.

I think it can potentially give his post surgery National image a fresh swagger boost- especially among the females if he runs with it long term.

I can just hear Dick Vitale saying:

It's The/Mr Telephone Man- baby, droppin' dimes all over the court, dialing up toll free from 3, baby- hooking up his Husky teammates with long distance connections all across the Nation- baby, a true diaper dandy, a ptp'er, whose game is as sweet as candy- baby- AT&T has got nothing on this kid...lol

Also, that video you're talking about was right before halftime- Tony made the steal and dunk as the 1st half clock ran out thus the reason he went and grabbed some gatorade right after the play.

Last edited by Dr. Hoopenstein : 11-08-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #28
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hoopenstein
Aaron Brooks, Franklin HS/Rotary Select, is a solid player on the rise no doubt.

Seattle is producing some real nice ballers.

True Wroten still has alot of work to do to get on Roy's level but he's well on his way G-D willing.

Doug Wrenn had both the physical gift & the mental curse. I heard about him allegedly pulling a gun out on a motorist in the Bellevue area for whatever reason....life is not a rap video......smh

We got the juice over here. That's why they put a House of Hoops here

And yeah, Wroten is a fool with it. I mentioned it in another thread, but this kid Wroten is strong as hell. He completely manhandled my cousin who is not a small person at 6'3 190. Wroten will be a really good player.

And about Wrenn...I used to work in Bellevue and he lived a block away from my job. There are a lot of interesting things about that gun case, but overall, it's his fault for putting himself in that position. Young, black, with money, and you are driving around in Bellevue with a gun? Come on, man. Bellevue is filled with rich ass White people. No disrespect, but that's a case waiting to happen and you gotta be smarter than that.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #29
Dr. Hoopenstein
Rise Above The Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejumpa
We got the juice over here. That's why they put a House of Hoops here

And yeah, Wroten is a fool with it. I mentioned it in another thread, but this kid Wroten is strong as hell. He completely manhandled my cousin who is not a small person at 6'3 190. Wroten will be a really good player.

And about Wrenn...I used to work in Bellevue and he lived a block away from my job. There are a lot of interesting things about that gun case, but overall, it's his fault for putting himself in that position. Young, black, with money, and you are driving around in Bellevue with a gun? Come on, man. Bellevue is filled with rich ass White people. No disrespect, but that's a case waiting to happen and you gotta be smarter than that.
From Rotary to The Vista to South Shore- 206 ball on!

Whether or not Doug actually showed a gun or his hand most paranoid white folks will think the worst due to all the negative African American stereotypes promoting in the mass media on a daily basis. As well any brother that lived in Seattle should know about the whole Mercer Island, Bellevue, Redmond area Societal reputation especially with how their Police & most residents treat/view Ebony folks.

I can remember back in HS in the 1980s driving with my friends family to our basketball game on the Eastside and getting pulled out of the car for DWB(driving while black) they said we were packed into the car like a gang or something to that effect we were riding about 8 deep but still we were no gang- 2 parents and their son's friends.smh
Old 11-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #30
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

You aint lyin Hoopenstein....you aint lyin
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: