Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #961
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star
 
InspiredLebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Birthplace of basketball
Posts: 25,596
Default Re: The Walking Dead

Apparently Jeffrey DeMunn, the guy that played Dale, is a Frank Darabont loyalist. They have a long partnership in the industry. When Darabont got the boot he wanted out.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #962
Droid101
NBA Superstar
 
Droid101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,796
Default Re: The Walking Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Apparently Jeffrey DeMunn, the guy that played Dale, is a Frank Darabont loyalist. They have a long partnership in the industry. When Darabont got the boot he wanted out.
Ayup. He's in every Darabont movie from The Mist to The Green Mile to Shawshank Redemption.

Best of luck to him.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #963
BGriffin's Dad
Future GOAT PF
 
BGriffin's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,766
Default Re: The Walking Dead

BGriffin's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #964
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa
 
Loneshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 3rd Rock
Posts: 3,259
Default Re: The Walking Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGriffin's Dad
for real, though
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #965
DuMa
Canned
 
DuMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 27,828
Default Re: The Walking Dead

DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #966
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet
 
"Jesus"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,451
Default Re: The Walking Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
figured the bolded red text would have tipped you off

The latest spoiler was the death of Dale.

Thanks for ruining it though.
"Jesus" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #967
dunksby
NBA Superstar
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,129
Default Re: The Walking Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
dunksby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #968
WillyJakk
Local High School Star
 
WillyJakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Incredible Orlando
Posts: 1,511
Default Re: The Walking Dead

(After some thought and like I posted earlier)...

I didn't like Dale but hated seeing him get offed like that but...

It's a good thing it went down like that cause had that quiet walkin' mud footed zombie made it to their camp or the house, he woulda f*cked somebody up not named Dale and that wouldn't have been cool.

And everybody complaining about "T-Dog" need to chill...

What else a n*gga supposed to do during a zombie apocalypse w/ a buncha honkey's runnin' around w/ guns giving orders? Teach Carl how to play Spades?

He's doin' the right thing and shuttin' the hell up cause he's outnumbered and still tryin' to find his way and fit in.

The only other person who was down w/ him was the dumbass black woman who decided to blow herself up in the CDC cause "she couldn't take it anymore" and not to mention he still probably feels guilty for his clumsy ass dropping "the key" that coulda saved Merle.

I think "T Dog" likes his ears (reference Daryl's zombie ear necklace).

Last edited by WillyJakk : 03-06-2012 at 09:39 AM.
WillyJakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #969
FatComputerNerd
College star
 
FatComputerNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Believeland
Posts: 3,803
Default Re: The Walking Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJakk
What else a n*gga supposed to do during a zombie apocalypse w/ a buncha honkey's runnin' around w/ guns giving orders? Teach Carl how to play Spades?

FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #970
dunksby
NBA Superstar
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,129
Default Re: The Walking Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJakk
(After some thought and like I posted earlier)...

I didn't like Dale but hated seeing him get offed like that but...

It's a good thing it went down like that cause had that quiet walkin' mud footed zombie made it to their camp or the house, he woulda f*cked somebody up not named Dale and that wouldn't have been cool.

And everybody complaining about "T-Dog" need to chill...

What else a n*gga supposed to do during a zombie apocalypse w/ a buncha honkey's runnin' around w/ guns giving orders? Teach Carl how to play Spades?

He's doin' the right thing and shuttin' the hell up cause he's outnumbered and still tryin' to find his way and fit in.

The only other person who was down w/ him was the dumbass black woman who decided to blow herself up in the CDC cause "she couldn't take it anymore" and not to mention he still probably feels guilty for his clumsy ass dropping "the key" that coulda saved Merle.

I think "T Dog" likes his ears (reference Daryl's zombie ear necklace).
Quit acting like it's Survivor or some other god damn reality show, it's fictitious show about a Zombie Apocalypse not a last man standing competition...Everybody has to contribute to survive and viewers need to know about all characters when the circle is as tight as it is.
dunksby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #971
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,622
Default Re: The Walking Dead

I was not crazy about Dale either, but it was unfortunate for him to go. Particularly when you just had this episode where his value was just kind of re-established as this voice of moral reasoning in a way that made sense. When he was sort of philosophically arguing with Shane, it didn't mean much, and came off as preachy to Shane's pragmatic. But with this episode's situation being so grounded, there actually being a young kid's life at stake, it made the situation more real and turned Dale into a much more genuine feeling character again. Something he hadn't been basically since Andrea turned herself back around.
That said, it was nice to see the group face some spontaneous loss again, and put them in a place where they don't feel so safe again.

There were a couple of glaring flaws in the show however. I personally wasn't so bothered by the structure of the wondering. It got Dale killed, Carl was just sort of aimlessly all over the place, and even Darryll was sort of out somewhere. But it reminded me of the feeling I get from Appocalypse now, which is sort of based on Dante's Inferno. Where you get this long travelling encounter to encounter of challenge (somewhat based on The Illiad and Odessey structure as well). It's something I like and feel the show is at it's best when it does, and feel like it doesn't in large part because of budget (The Road flick, which I also dig, had a similar feel to it).
However, if they're going to continue to follow this development of Carl long term, it could be an issue, because frankly the kid is awfull. His performance was cringe-worthy, and honestly not surprisingly. You're asking a lot from a kid actor to pull off a performance as nuanced as they seem to want to get out of him. Disillusion, but at the same time a sense that he doesn't know anything else. It could be a major problem.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #972
WillyJakk
Local High School Star
 
WillyJakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Incredible Orlando
Posts: 1,511
Default Re: The Walking Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Quit acting like it's Survivor or some other god damn reality show, it's fictitious show about a Zombie Apocalypse not a last man standing competition...Everybody has to contribute to survive and viewers need to know about all characters when the circle is as tight as it is.

What's wrong w/ you.

If you watch the show (and I'm sure you do since you're posting here) you'd know T-Dog contributes to whatever they need him to do, as a matter a fact, that dude was diggin' the graves and puttin' the zombie leftovers in the back of that truck taking them to the burn site.

He ran back to try to save the redneck that whooped his ass but dropped the key (which truthfully coulda been outta fear of what Merle AND Daryl would do to him if he didn't but regardless...we don't typically do that type of sh*t in a "Cry Sees" (read crisis, but that's just how we say it) and don't forget he damn near had gangrene on his arm, too so yeah...

T-Dog has been holdin the group down, he's just a quiet guy.

Last edited by WillyJakk : 03-06-2012 at 10:08 AM.
WillyJakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #973
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Godzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,820
Default Re: The Walking Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I was not crazy about Dale either, but it was unfortunate for him to go. Particularly when you just had this episode where his value was just kind of re-established as this voice of moral reasoning in a way that made sense. When he was sort of philosophically arguing with Shane, it didn't mean much, and came off as preachy to Shane's pragmatic. But with this episode's situation being so grounded, there actually being a young kid's life at stake, it made the situation more real and turned Dale into a much more genuine feeling character again. Something he hadn't been basically since Andrea turned herself back around.
That said, it was nice to see the group face some spontaneous loss again, and put them in a place where they don't feel so safe again.

There were a couple of glaring flaws in the show however. I personally wasn't so bothered by the structure of the wondering. It got Dale killed, Carl was just sort of aimlessly all over the place, and even Darryll was sort of out somewhere. But it reminded me of the feeling I get from Appocalypse now, which is sort of based on Dante's Inferno. Where you get this long travelling encounter to encounter of challenge (somewhat based on The Illiad and Odessey structure as well). It's something I like and feel the show is at it's best when it does, and feel like it doesn't in large part because of budget (The Road flick, which I also dig, had a similar feel to it).
However, if they're going to continue to follow this development of Carl long term, it could be an issue, because frankly the kid is awfull. His performance was cringe-worthy, and honestly not surprisingly. You're asking a lot from a kid actor to pull off a performance as nuanced as they seem to want to get out of him. Disillusion, but at the same time a sense that he doesn't know anything else. It could be a major problem.


i-blame-Herschel's-farm-for-the-lack-of-encounters-or-long-traveling-encounter-as-you-called-it...i-actually-think-thats-the-biggest-problem-with-S2...who-would-have-thought-after-S1-that-the-entirety-of-S2(so-far-at-least)-would-take-place-on-a-farm-for-the-most-part?...hell-i-was-thinking-they-were-going-to-constantly-be-moving-from-place-to-place-trying-to-survive-after-the-CDC,running-into-other-groups-that-end-up-friends/foes,scavenging-houses,setting-down-base-in-different-camp-spots-or-suburbs-then-heading-back-into-the-city-or-even-different-cities....alot-of-S1-was-like-that...S2-has-been-completely-different...almost-a-different-show.

i-also-agree-Carl-is-a-horrible-actor-even-for-a-kid...there-was-one-scene-where-he-said-something-and-it-was-so-off-where-it-was-just-awful-acting-and-they're-going-to-focus-on-him-growing-into-some-odd-kid?

...after-reading-those-spoilers-and-comments-from-Kirkman,i'm-not-sure-i-can-blame-the-other-writers,actors,or-even-AMC-more-than-him...he-sounds-like-he's-out-of-touch-and-way-too-into-the-aspects-that-makes-WalkingDead-horrible-now

Last edited by Godzuki : 03-06-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #974
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,206
Default Re: The Walking Dead

spoilers for the next episode in white



The Walking Dead
Here are two sneak peeks for the next episode, "Better Angels."


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zWBo1JPzFFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jh-hOlaDcFc

There's a lengthy - and, as always, quite possibly bullshit - synopsis for this Sunday's episode. According to this particular summary, the pre-credits sequence intercuts Dale's funeral with a bunch of characters killing some zombies in a field. Then here's the first half of the episode:

Hershel finally allows everybody to move into the house. Rick decides to let Randall loose instead of killing him, just like they had originally planned. Shane gets all mad at the idea, but Rick says it's his decision and Shane needs to shut up. Later, Carl reveals to Shane that he done ****ed up and stole Daryl's gun as well as released that walker from the swamp, but asks him not to tell anyone. While Shane is building a lookout platform, Lori comes to talk to him. She thanks him for everything he had done (saving them from Atlanta, etc.) and says she's truly sorry for all the crap that happened between them.

Shane asks Rick that he and Daryl be allowed to go dump Randall, but Rick refuses. Shane then tells Rick about what Carl did and gives him Daryl's gun. Rick has a talk with his son and basically tells him to grow up. Meanwhile, Shane sneaks into the shed and releases Randall. They secretly leave the farm and take off into the woods together. Shane tells the kid that he wants to join their group and asks Randall where it is. He tells Shane that they have a camp on a highway five miles away. Shane then proceeds to snap his neck.

The rest is at the link, which finishes off with a sequence pretty much identical to what we posted yesterday. [SpoilerTV]

Comics creator Robert Kirkman explains the long-term thinking behind the decision to kill Dale:

It's really just about how it affects the other characters. That's the main thing that goes into a decision to kill a character: "What does this get us?" Having an amazing ending to the episode and really showing the viewer that this is a dangerous world and anyone can go at any minute and getting the shock value of that is great. But, at the end of the day, it's "How does this affect things six episodes down the road? How does this affect things ten episodes down the road?" That's really the question. Once we started working that out in the writing room and seeing how Dale's death affects Shane and Dale's death affects Rick and Daryl and Lori and Andrea and all the way down the list - that's really what helped us along in this decision.

He also talks some more about what's ahead for Carl:

Well, yes, we're going into dark places. Carl is one of the most fun characters to tell stories about in this world. It's true of the comic and it's true of the show. Over time, we're going to start to see more and more of this kid. What's awesome about that is, think about what it would be like to grow up in this world. It's one thing to have everything you know taken away from you and have to deal with this shitty world you now have to live in. But to have barely even really recognized what the world is and how it works and what to expect, and then to be thrust into this apocalyptic threat and to grow up and mature with these kinds of situations... It's going to make him grow up weird, is what I like to say.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #975
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star
 
InspiredLebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Birthplace of basketball
Posts: 25,596
Default Re: The Walking Dead

The day they announced the show I knew casting Carl was going to be a problem. He's a huge piece of the comic, he's not even a #2 really, he's a 1B to Rick. You'd need a legitimate prodigy to do his character justice.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy