Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Default Why are Felton's Assist Numbers So Low?

Maybe I still remember him being good at UNC and having a good season a few years ago, but I thought with this system he would be putting up much better assist numbers than 5.7.

Thats on par with what he was doing in Charlotte on a defensive oriented team.

I hope those numbers go up since hes our only PG.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Why are Felton's Assist Numbers So Low?

What were you expecting them to be? He is not really a great ball dominant PG that can set up tons of plays for others. I was expecting about 6-8 assists per game for him. They should start going up a bit once Gallinari gets out of his slump and he can start driving and kicking out to him.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

He's an average guy playing average ball.He's just not that good.period.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
What were you expecting them to be? He is not really a great ball dominant PG that can set up tons of plays for others. I was expecting about 6-8 assists per game for him. They should start going up a bit once Gallinari gets out of his slump and he can start driving and kicking out to him.
I was expecting 8 APG.

Thought his numbers would go up due to the system, talent, and lack of other ballhandlers to take away assists.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
He's an average guy playing average ball.He's just not that good.period.
Exactly.

5-7 assists is about where he should be.

He will have some 10+ nights. Hell even Duhon did.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

its early, new system, new teammates. i would expect it to go up as he gets acclimated
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
bigfrank34
I brick open layups

Felton's assist numbers are down because everyone is packing their defense within the paint to keep Amare from having highlight reel dunks.Basically teams are daring the knicks to shoot threes and make them. Remember, in Phoenix Amare had a point guard who could drain threes or pass to players who could drain three point shots with a high shooting percentage. Outside of Gallo and Walker, who has the consistent three point shooting percentage on the knicks? Chandler has been doing damage, but not really from behind the arc. So its because teams focus on Amare and have little respect for other Knicks three point shooting ability, the assists go down. When Gallo gets hit shots back, the paint will open up. Also when felton does give Amare the ball its outside of the paint, so even if Amare scores its not an assist. I don't understand why Amare keeps getting the ball at the elbows and outside the paint. By the time Amare gets the ball its basically five on one because all eyes are on him. However, the knicks are getting better.
bigfrank34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Exactly.

5-7 assists is about where he should be.

He will have some 10+ nights. Hell even Duhon did.
Duhon had a 20+ assist night. He averaged 7apg his 1st season in NY. I'd be ecstatic if Felton could do that. Duhon's weaknesses were finishing around the rim and defense. However, he's a better playmaker than Felton.
New York Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfrank34
Felton's assist numbers are down because everyone is packing their defense within the paint to keep Amare from having highlight reel dunks.Basically teams are daring the knicks to shoot threes and make them. Remember, in Phoenix Amare had a point guard who could drain threes or pass to players who could drain three point shots with a high shooting percentage. Outside of Gallo and Walker, who has the consistent three point shooting percentage on the knicks? Chandler has been doing damage, but not really from behind the arc. So its because teams focus on Amare and have little respect for other Knicks three point shooting ability, the assists go down. When Gallo gets hit shots back, the paint will open up. Also when felton does give Amare the ball its outside of the paint, so even if Amare scores its not an assist. I don't understand why Amare keeps getting the ball at the elbows and outside the paint. By the time Amare gets the ball its basically five on one because all eyes are on him. However, the knicks are getting better.
No, the problem is Amare thinking he's LeBron James and constantly calling for the ball and waving everyone else off so he can ISO. And then looks up and wonders why he averages 6 TPG. Amare needs to know his limits. We need him to dunk and hit open shots. THAT's ALL. That's what he did in Phoenix. That's all I want from him here.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 AM   #10
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Keep in mind we have only played 3 games so far, and 2 of them were against very good teams. We have one of the hardest starting schedules in the league.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knicks
No, the problem is Amare thinking he's LeBron James and constantly calling for the ball and waving everyone else off so he can ISO. And then looks up and wonders why he averages 6 TPG. Amare needs to know his limits. We need him to dunk and hit open shots. THAT's ALL. That's what he did in Phoenix. That's all I want from him here.

I'd love to see him play like he did in Phoenix. Only problem is, he doesn't have the same teammates as in Phoenix. Not a 2-time MVP point guard who is amazing at running the pick and roll. He is forced to be the #1 option here. I love the guy but he needs another scorer on the perimeter to share the load or a good passing point guard. Unfortunately we have none of the above.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
bigfrank34
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knicks

I sort of agree, but the reason I sort of disagree is because Amare is playing with a different level of talent around him. Teams had to give Amare space in Phoenix because everyone else on his team had the ability to take and make three point shots, which kept the paint open. If you doubled Amare, either Nash or someone else would be wide open for shots. The only time I saw something similar to that kind of play was when Amare had a give and go with Douglas in that Portland game. Basically, they're still learning how to play with each other and learning their roles.
bigfrank34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Simply put,it's like 1 on 5...well 2 on 5 because Chandler is doing his thing.It is going to be a rough year.I think he knows that.He had to have known that once we didnt get you know who he'd be in for a long season.The key is what we do before the trade deadline,in the draft and in the offseason. Donnie Walsh holds the key to Amare's success and happiness in NY.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #14
New York Knicks
Banned

Man, I'm bummed by NO's 4-0 start. I was thinking maybe they're like 13-30 or something at the All-Star break and he asks for a trade. By then, Felton can be traded so we coulda done Felton + whoever else for him. Bam we'd be instant contenders. Oh well, just a dream I guess.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
Draz
Like a Baoss.

TBH, I rather him for now because he fits the figure & he isn't to bad. I love watching him play? But I do wish we had someone else sometimes, the numbers sometime don't mean anything, he does have proper speed to take the ball in his hands & draw a foul when needed. Who else could we have afforded.. we upgraded from last year? We played good teams, were playing great teams to start the season, when the year slows down we'll have enough adjustments needed to win, look at how they handled Rondos 24-25 assist that one game, & lost by what 3? When Celtics were playing an amazing game. Their not to bad, just give it some TIME.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: