Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
swe_suns
Serious playground baller

swe_suns has an OK reputation so far
Default Easiest way to implement offense/defense?

We are like 10 guys between ages 17-23, a bit undersized you could say. We have just started to play games but we get blown out because we basically don't have any plays on offense and run a bad zone defense which doesn't seem to work. I have googled a lot and looked at plays on nba 2k11 but the thing is that there are so many different strategies that I get confused.

Our offense is very stagnent, little movement and we end up just chucking basically. How many offensive plays do teams usually run during a game? What should be the core style of the offense for us? As I said we are a bit undersized, decent shooters and probably a bit quicker than most of our opponents.

I was looking into the triangle offense, do you recommend it? And also, what kind of a defense should we go with?

There are a million sites explaining everything but where can I get started with basics?
swe_suns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Easiest way to implement offense/defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swe_suns
We are like 10 guys between ages 17-23, a bit undersized you could say. We have just started to play games but we get blown out because we basically don't have any plays on offense and run a bad zone defense which doesn't seem to work. I have googled a lot and looked at plays on nba 2k11 but the thing is that there are so many different strategies that I get confused.

Our offense is very stagnent, little movement and we end up just chucking basically. How many offensive plays do teams usually run during a game? What should be the core style of the offense for us? As I said we are a bit undersized, decent shooters and probably a bit quicker than most of our opponents.

I was looking into the triangle offense, do you recommend it? And also, what kind of a defense should we go with?

There are a million sites explaining everything but where can I get started with basics?

I can say that in my team we have 10 plays, but it's a little bit too much and we are pro's so .. forget about that.

You need to do some simple plays, like horns (double screens on the top of the glass), or something like pass and cut .. with the interior players getting some pick and rolls .. it's something easy to do.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by swe_suns

my advice, if you guys don't have time to get together and have someone oversee and coach the offensive and defensive sets . just go with the basics.

defense - man to man
offense- pick and roll or pass until someone is open. you will be amazed how effective this is

simplify your game and run it easy first before you even take it to the next step. there's no point trying to over complicate yourself

the problem with people trying to run zone is that it's so easy to exploit if you dont know the loop holes, just because you stand in the formation doesnt mean you are executing zone or the set effectively.

the problem is, you cant really play man unless all your players play great individual defense, but i think it's still much better than just having 5 guys standing around "trying" to play zone.
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you are all in shape play a fast paced offense. A lot of runnin and gunnin. If you get set in the halfcourt offense use basic pick and rolls and post ups (if you have a guy who can play in the post). If you can get stops this is a great way to put points up on the boards, especially against zone teams because they need to be set in order to be effective.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

start off by setting some basic rules that everyone will follow and "read". forget about set plays at first, you gotta start with the basics, get a feel with each other and have trust.

ex.
proper spacing.
1. everyone should be atleast 7-10ft from each other. unless ofcourse if they are doing something worthwhile like setting screens, cutting etc
2. divide the halfcourt into 5 spots. 2 inside, 2 in the corner, 1 on top. all bases should be covered. this helps a lot in passing off double teams, and very important if you want to have good transition defense. if player 1 go to the spot of player 2, player 2 should immediately move and go to another spot and so on

ball movement
1. move the ball. side to side, inside out, strong side weak side. dont shoot very eary in the shot clock. if your team is still poor defensively, start the plays in the last 10 seconds so you'll have less possesion to defend
2. set a lot of screens. can be pick and roll, off ball screen, 2 screens at the top of the key. 1 at the top, 1 under the basket screen etc. dont just stand around.
3. give and go play

know your role.
1. everyone should know there role all the time.
who's the pg? who will help the pg if there's pressure
who's the main cutter, who's the designated shooter

while having trouble with offense, focus on transition defense and make sure they don't get easy points. after a shot attempt, 1 should be in the other side freethrow line, 1 near half court to stop the fastbreak initiator
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Just simple stuff. Give and goes, baseline cuts, backdoor cuts, offball screens, pick and roll/pop, isolation.

If you have a guy who can pass out of the post (play the post well in general), then work the inside outside game.
Swaggin916 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: