Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 11-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here
Default Cats sign Derek Anderson

Charlotte Observer:
Quote:
Bernie Bickerstaff's Christmas wish list included a third point guard, a wing scorer and another veteran presence on the bench.

Bickerstaff hopes he got all three by signing Derek Anderson on Tuesday.

A 10-season NBA veteran, Anderson joined the team for tonight's game against the New Jersey Nets. Bickerstaff, the Bobcats' coach-general manager, was most attracted to Anderson's versatility.

"That's why we were considering him and (Penny) Hardaway: A point, but also somebody who could score," Bickerstaff said.

Anderson has played for six NBA teams, most recently the Miami Heat during its title run last season. He's not the player he once was -- he hasn't shot 40 percent in a season in four years -- but Bickerstaff sees him as a leader/mentor off the bench, much the way Steve Smith was in the Bobcats' first season.

Anderson says he's fine with that; at 32, he isn't looking to take over a team built around youth.

"I'm comfortable just being a player here," Anderson said at the morning shootaround. "It's about team here, not about an individual trying to be an All-Star all by himself."

Along with playing shooting guard, Anderson figures to replace Bernard Robinson as the third point guard, behind Brevin Knight and Raymond Felton. The Bobcats were vulnerable there particularly with Knight's injury history; he's missed 12 or more games in each of the past six seasons.

Anderson knows all about injury. He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in 1997, costing him half his senior season at Kentucky.

Any residual problems with the knee?

"I don't wear a sleeve or anything," Anderson said. "Ask me in 20 years."

The process of signing Anderson started about a week ago, Bickerstaff said, when Anderson came in for a physical and a discussion of how he'd fit here.

"It's not a concern -- our doctors made that decision," Bickerstaff said of Anderson's knee. "And we're not talking about somebody who is going to play 40 minutes a night. He's a guy who can score and another veteran who can help."
Well, hopefully he can find his place in Charlotte. I'm surprised and Bernie was interested in Penny Hardaway. Never would've seen that coming. We got rid of an Anderson to get a different one I suppose. Only time will tell if this was a good move or not.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputation

D.A. is one of those players that will help out the young Cats with his experience and leadership, and he can play the 1,2, and 3. I think he can still put up 15pts a night, I think its a good signing.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

but he's too inconsistant... but nice veteran pick-up, do more of that!
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: