Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default 2010-11 Season starts tonight! Some notes.

1st game vs the Miami Heat

Sixers' lineup:

PG: Jrue Holiday
SG: Andre Iguodala
SF: Jason Kapono
PF: Elton Brand
C: Spencer Hawes

Turner isn't starting for this game. Take that as Collins wanting a shooter on the starting lineup, or Turner simply sucking in the offseason. Probably a bit of both. But if not Turner, I would've started Nocioni ahead of Kapono. Guess he isn't in his rhythm yet after that injury.

I'm thinking it will take some time for Turner to come along, which wasn't the plan -IMO-.

No injuries are reported towards the season opener.

Some notes (taken from the official site):

Upcoming games:

Oct. 29 vs. Atlanta
Oct. 30 at Indiana
Nov. 2 at Washington
Nov. 3 vs. Indiana
Nov. 5 vs. Cleveland

Offseason Moves

5/21 – Named Doug Collins head coach.
6/17 – Acquired Spencer Hawes and Andres Nocioni from Sacramento in exchange for Samuel Dalembert.
6/24 – Drafted Evan Turner with the second overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft.
7/21 – Signed free agent Tony Battie.
8/1 – Named Rod Thorn President.
9/23 – Acquired Darius Songaila and Craig Brackins from New Orleans in exchange for Willie Green and Jason Smith.
9/27 – Signed free agents James Florence, Trent Plaisted and Chris Quinn.
10/8 – Waived James Florence.
10/21 - Waived Chris Quinn and Trent Plaisted.
10/21 - Excercized 3rd and 4th year options on Jrue Holiday and Marresse Speights respectively.

Notes on the roster:

Trent Plaisted and Chris Quinn were out in the final roster cut. Also, Sixers exercised 3rd year option on Jrue Holiday and its 4th year option on Marreese Speights.

Heading into tonight’s season opener vs. Miami, the Sixers will have eight players who will be 24 or younger: Jrue Holiday (20), Evan Turner (22), Spencer Hawes (22), Thaddeus Young (22), Craig Brackins (23), Marreese Speights (23), Jodie Meeks (23) and Lou Williams (24). For the second straight season, Holiday is the youngest Sixer. Of the 14 players with a guaranteed contract, the average age of the Sixers is 25.8. Four Sixers will be 30 or older heading into the season: Andres Nocioni (30), Elton Brand (31), Darius Songaila (32), and Tony Battie (34). At the start of last season, Brand was the only Sixers with more than seven years experience. Heading into this season, Philly has four players with 7+ years experience.

Kapono, who got the starting role (for now), averaged over the final four preseason games 12.3 points on 52.8% shooting after having just 3 points on 1-of-11 shooting the first three games combined. He averaged 10.6 ppg over the final 16 games in 2009-10 after scoring a total of 7 points his previous 14 games played from 12/26/09-3/12/10.

Notes on the preseason:

Elton Brand recorded a double-double in the final preseason game against the Knicks on 10/20. It marked his second game with 10+ boards this preseason. Brand grabbed 10+ rebounds nine times in 2009-10.

Over the final four games, Philly averaged 108.0 points after averaging 83.3 ppg the first three games of the preseason... the Sixers were 18-16 when scoring 100+ points last season and 9-39 when failing to do so... the Sixers had just 65 points vs. Boston on 10/6, the lowest recorded preseason point total in franchise history... overall, Philly averaged 97.4 ppg this preseason.

The Sixers forced 18.4 turnovers per game this preseason... Philly was 11th in the league in forcing turnovers last season (14.5 tpg) after ranking third in 2008-09 (15.6 tpg)... the Sixers averaged 8.71 steals this preseason... Philly has ranked top-five in the league in steals in each of the past two seasons.

Philly had just 18 blocks this preseason (2.57 bpg)... the Sixers ranked ninth in the league with 5.35 bpg in 2009-10, its highest average since 1997-98 (5.98).

Last edited by artificial : 10-27-2010 at 12:03 PM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
J21
Can barely lace up my sneakers

J21 has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: 2010-11 Season starts tonight! Some notes.

evan turner looks great so far. Hope he keeps that back healthy:)
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
RAPSPURS
I hit open 5-footers

RAPSPURS has decent reputationRAPSPURS has decent reputation

nice game from Turner!

what happened wit Jrue? definitely not on his game...
RAPSPURS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
artificial

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Turner looked good, at least he gave us reason to stay optimistic. Looked very confident on the court, trying to make the plays.

None of the starting 5 attempted a single FT the whole game. WTF with that?

I'm confident in that Jrue can become more consistent as the season goes on, but Kapono and Hawes better start proving their worth soon (all 3 sucked last night).
Old 10-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
HoopsGal82
Can barely lace up my sneakers

HoopsGal82 has an OK reputation so far
Thumbs up Re: 2010-11 Season starts tonight! Some notes.

I thought Turner looked good too. After watching him in preseason, I had my doubts, but I think this kid definitely has potential.
HoopsGal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
artificial

Whew, finally a win -and a blowout. (4-1) to start the season, things aren't looking good.

I was concerned with how little the 76ers were going to the FT line. Lou was the only 6ers consistently getting to the stripe. And guess what? In the win tonight, the 76ers had 25FTs, which is more than their opponent.

Doug Collins left the game for vertigo I think? (missed his first win lol). Coaching needs to get a couple of things fixed.

Quote:
I thought Turner looked good too. After watching him in preseason, I had my doubts, but I think this kid definitely has potential.
After this games, I do keep hopes alive that this kid can be special. But if he ever blooms, it won't be this season; it will take him a little longer (at least).

I'm a little dissapointed with Holiday's improvement. Was hoping to see him solidified at PG, but he still is too inconsistent.

Marresse Speights? Haven't seen ANY improvement from him. Young has looked good at times. Brand is playing much better now.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: