Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Tryouts in less than 2 weeks

Tryouts are fast approaching and I am starting to feel the nerves. I feel confident I will make the team but I always have some type of doubts in my head. Like what if I under perform or get nervous or tired. What are some tips for tryouts. Like during the scrimmages I really want to showcase my skills as a SG or PG, what will the coaches be looking for. I know my coach is looking for the basic stuff like defense, rebounding, hustle and hard work. But what other aspects do coaches really look for in players?
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
OMG its McLovin
Can barely lace up my sneakers

OMG its McLovin has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Tryouts in less than 2 weeks

My tryouts are in less than 2 weeks too!
Like you said coaches always look for good defense, rebounding, hustle and hard work but they also are looking for a smart player. For example if there is an open lane instead of being lazy and taking a jumper you should drive and lay it in. Play so that you always choose the best option when you can and if you can't then do the next best option.

Coaches also look at consistency, meaning that your shot looks the same everytime, so don't try to change your shooting form during the tryout, make sure you stick to what you're comfortable with.
OMG its McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

know what your coach want and execute

you already listed those (defense, rebounding, hustle...etc)

to be honest, unless you already have a great working relationship or he/she knows what you can already do. dont expect them to really notice you

in most coaches mind, they want the entire team to play solid defense and run transition game because that's the easiest way to run a team. for half court set, they usually already have 1~2 go to guy in their mind

other things you can consider

be vocal on both end of the court. read the court for your teammates

you mentioned you want to be that 20 ppg guy, it will be important for you to outshine your competition. it's one thing to play conservative so you dont TO but you also dont want to become just another role player that's not aggressive enough
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It looks like you already know what they're looking for. You broke it down yourself pretty well. Yes, we're looking for players who can play the game well. Truly, I'm looking to see who is willing to absolutely bust their butt to make the squad. When that point of tryouts comes where the coach tries to break you down mentally by running you over and over and over and over again, you'll need to be the guy going your hardest until he tells you to stop.

If your skills are average and you're looking for something to put you above the other guys trying out, then that means you'll have to put in all the extra stuff. If one of your teammates busts out on a fastbreak in the open floor, you better be sprinting behind him in case he blows the layup/dunk. If the coach blows his whistle and calls you guys in to huddle, you better be hustling in. Similarly, you should be hustling everywhere you go.

Also, the attitude's gotta be there. Again, if it's a situation where you're looking to stand out from similarly skilled players, it's not going to hurt you to show some leadership and maturity, even if you're not the top dog. Encourage your teammates (don't over-do it while stealing glances at your coach to see if he notices you) and for the love of god, don't cuss, shake your head, or jog back on defense after you make an offensive mistake (missed layup or turnover). It's worse to play the "I'm upset because I usually make all my shots" card than the "I missed an easy shot, now I need to hustle back on D" approach.

You might benefit from putting yourself in the shoes of your coaches. I definitely know tryouts felt a little different as a player after I spent a number of years coaching. It felt like I had a little cheat sheet going in.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 11-05-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Maize'N'Blue
Super Yooper

Maize'N'Blue has an OK reputation so far

The lucky day for us is Nov. 16. It's not even really tryouts for us though, because usually only like 15 people try out.

As for advice, I really don't have any other than the basics. Do whatever the coach wants and go all out.
Maize'N'Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
MannyO
Super Cool E

Yea I know the basics what the coach is looking for but last year there were some kids on the team that didn't even fit the criteria. Another thing I learned is that I must keep my head up at all times when handling the ball so I have to work on that. I have made a list of players that are most likely to make the team and I analyzed their strengths and weaknesses so I know how to go at them when tryouts come. There is some new kid that came and coach really likes him so when I get on the court I am really going to harrass his dribble because I feel he is not a superior ball handler.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Coaches like solid players, guys who have been practicing the fundamentals since like 3rd grade more than flashy players with show off handles and like to take half open 3's.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

fundamentals. fundamentals. fundamentals. also a bit of hustle thrown in. good luck.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
MannyO
Super Cool E

I just hope the day of tryouts I don't get tired and nervous. I just want to have my best games. The coach has a few players in his mind that he likes already. Im just hoping I dont get overlooked.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I wish all of luck to you guys .
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
I just hope the day of tryouts I don't get tired and nervous. I just want to have my best games. The coach has a few players in his mind that he likes already. Im just hoping I dont get overlooked.

If he has some players he knows he wants to watch, you have great opportunities. Make sure you're guarding these players your coach is interested in, lock them in, play physical and frustrate them. Your coach will notice you and how you make the players pressured. If there's some favorites already selected, now's your chance to do work.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How many roste spots are gonna be on you guy's teams?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
If he has some players he knows he wants to watch, you have great opportunities. Make sure you're guarding these players your coach is interested in, lock them in, play physical and frustrate them. Your coach will notice you and how you make the players pressured. If there's some favorites already selected, now's your chance to do work.

exactly what I am planning to do. There is this one kid he's knew and he really impressed my coach but I wasn't too impressed I knew I will be able to lock him up so I made a list of the players that are potential threats and wrote down their strengths and weaknesses. When tryouts comes around I will go right at them and attack these weaknesses. My only fault is that last year I got so fatigued that I could barely even stand and so I did not play to my potential. This year I am hoping thats not the case and Im able to play at my best. Also when trying out I am thinking about trying to avoid being cut, so much that it interferes with my game, how do I stop this.

The roster is going to be about 12 guys
Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

I'm not sure about conditioning, I wouldn't start an intensive regimen with tryouts so close to now.

But about being nervous, basketball is supposed to be a stress reliever, it takes your mind off anything at hand. Just divert your focus. Instead of focusing on what you think the coach is seeing, focus on your defender. That's what I do, when sometimes I feel like someone's watching me, I just try and put all my attention on the other player. It works once you get used to it, it's kind of like you're just studying the guy and playing him.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I'm not sure about conditioning, I wouldn't start an intensive regimen with tryouts so close to now.

But about being nervous, basketball is supposed to be a stress reliever, it takes your mind off anything at hand. Just divert your focus. Instead of focusing on what you think the coach is seeing, focus on your defender. That's what I do, when sometimes I feel like someone's watching me, I just try and put all my attention on the other player. It works once you get used to it, it's kind of like you're just studying the guy and playing him.

true that is a smart method. Normally Im not this nervous and stressed out about basketball but when tryouts come around its stressful because you are nervous like what if I have a bad game and my coach sees that I have not improved. Or what if my leg is hurting that day, and all the what ifs and so on. I think meditation might also help as well to get my mind focused on the task at hand. I just want to perform my best because not just if I make the team but my performance will also put me in position to be a star on the team. So its a make or break situation kind of.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: