Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Tryouts in less than 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
true that is a smart method. Normally Im not this nervous and stressed out about basketball but when tryouts come around its stressful because you are nervous like what if I have a bad game and my coach sees that I have not improved. Or what if my leg is hurting that day, and all the what ifs and so on. I think meditation might also help as well to get my mind focused on the task at hand. I just want to perform my best because not just if I make the team but my performance will also put me in position to be a star on the team. So its a make or break situation kind of.

Yeah I get what you mean. It's been almost 2 years since I last tried out for a team, my school's freshman team. I'm about to try out this year for JV.

I'm nervous too, I know I have the skills but I'm afraid I won't have a great tryout and I really need to prove myself to everyone. To me, it's more than just basketball and making the team. I need to do this to continue my dream of playing in college and leaving this town.

What I'd do is get a good sleep the night before. Get some quiet time, maybe just lie in your bed and listen to some music. Get a good rest and some good breakfast, some eggs, toast and oatmeal is something I like to eat when I have time. And before the tryouts, what I do when I have something big to prepare for is I just put my ipod on and hood up and really get in the zone.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
true that is a smart method. Normally Im not this nervous and stressed out about basketball but when tryouts come around its stressful because you are nervous like what if I have a bad game and my coach sees that I have not improved. Or what if my leg is hurting that day, and all the what ifs and so on. I think meditation might also help as well to get my mind focused on the task at hand. I just want to perform my best because not just if I make the team but my performance will also put me in position to be a star on the team. So its a make or break situation kind of.
True, what if you have a bad game and what if your leg is hurting? What if? What's the worst possible thing that could happen? You could get cut from the team, that's what. Then you'd go back to your regular life, with a little extra time on your hands to study, work on your game, hang with friends, whatever. Truly, the worst thing that could happen is you not making the team. Someone might awkwardly ask you if you made it and you'll have to say, "Nah, I didn't." It could be a heckuva lot worse than that.

Easy for me to say, but I don't think there's anything to be afraid of. This sounds counterintuitive, but it almost pays to play stupid out on the court. Now, I don't mean "play stupid" as in throwing full court behind-the-back passes and attempting between-the-legs layups in traffic (or on the break for that matter). Rather, I mean sometimes you just have to clear your mind. Less thinking can be better. Let your instincts take over. If you turn the ball over, just sprint back on defense. Constantly thinking about your own mistakes and who saw them will be writing your own proverbial death certificate.

From the sounds of it, there might be a good chance you could have a terrific tryout and outplay many of the "regulars" and still not make the team. In that case, at this point, that decision is out of your control. All you can do is just go out and play your game and play it hard. You want to be left with a feeling of "I got cut, but it's not because I didn't go all out."

Lastly, noone's going to make it through your tryout without making tons of mistakes. Get over it now for your own benefit later.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

I understand what you mean by 'playing stupid' lol the thing is its so hard to play based on instincts when you have like 4 coaches watching to see if you make the right play or impress them somehow. It frustrating. For me I think I have a self confidence issue, like im not 100% confident in my game for some reason. Like at the park I play well and im confident in my game and w.e but uner the watchful eyes of the coach its like I start doubting. Its really killing me.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #19
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Is there a reason why you aren't 100% confident in yourself? Is it because you feel you have a weakness, or there's some players you feel are better, what is holding you back?

If you know, it's easier to figure out how to work around it. But your tryouts are coming up and you probably don't have enough time to work on new skills, if anything that would lower your confidence. So my best advice is to forget about your confidence and insecurity. Why carry it with you if it's only going to hold you back? Just go into the tryouts not thinking at all, get carried away in the game and the drills. If you focus on the people watching you, it's guaranteed you'd probably do worse because your focus isn't on what you have in front of you. Even if everyone else is cheering you on, if you get lost in the world outside the court, you'll only distract yourself.

Don't even think about what will happen if you don't make it. Don't even let that thought come into your mind. Get into the mindset that you're the baddest, best player on the court because you put the time into it. I'm willing to bet that you could say you outworked almost everyone else in the offseason. Which by all means you deserve that final spot.

You already know your goals: be the 20 ppg scorer your your team. I believe you said this is your final year? So in theory this could very well be your last chance at real basketball. Have fun but go out with a bang: if you don't make it, like Rake said it's not over. But don't worry about not making it. You should know full well that your efforts and pain suffered while others were around doing nothing won't go unnoticed and unrewarded.

"The only way your talent is ever going to prevail is if you believe in it. So when no one believes, believe in yourself" -Gilbert Arenas.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #20
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Is there a reason why you aren't 100% confident in yourself? Is it because you feel you have a weakness, or there's some players you feel are better, what is holding you back?

If you know, it's easier to figure out how to work around it. But your tryouts are coming up and you probably don't have enough time to work on new skills, if anything that would lower your confidence. So my best advice is to forget about your confidence and insecurity. Why carry it with you if it's only going to hold you back? Just go into the tryouts not thinking at all, get carried away in the game and the drills. If you focus on the people watching you, it's guaranteed you'd probably do worse because your focus isn't on what you have in front of you. Even if everyone else is cheering you on, if you get lost in the world outside the court, you'll only distract yourself.

Don't even think about what will happen if you don't make it. Don't even let that thought come into your mind. Get into the mindset that you're the baddest, best player on the court because you put the time into it. I'm willing to bet that you could say you outworked almost everyone else in the offseason. Which by all means you deserve that final spot.

You already know your goals: be the 20 ppg scorer your your team. I believe you said this is your final year? So in theory this could very well be your last chance at real basketball. Have fun but go out with a bang: if you don't make it, like Rake said it's not over. But don't worry about not making it. You should know full well that your efforts and pain suffered while others were around doing nothing won't go unnoticed and unrewarded.

"The only way your talent is ever going to prevail is if you believe in it. So when no one believes, believe in yourself" -Gilbert Arenas.

Thanks man. I guess im just so anxious. The majority of what I have been doin this past year has been dedicated to basketball. My expectations are high and everybody is expecting alot from me, so the nerves are really starting to arise. Tryouts are next wednesday so it boils down to those three days. Just the thought of it just starts making me nervous. There are some talented, skilled players that I am going to have to compete against during tryouts and I just want to out play them. Its like a feeling of excitement because the ball season is just around the corner but also a nervous, stressful feeling knowing I have to first go through tryouts. But yea I will take that advice and remember the quote. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #21
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Thanks man. I guess im just so anxious. The majority of what I have been doin this past year has been dedicated to basketball. My expectations are high and everybody is expecting alot from me, so the nerves are really starting to arise. Tryouts are next wednesday so it boils down to those three days. Just the thought of it just starts making me nervous. There are some talented, skilled players that I am going to have to compete against during tryouts and I just want to out play them. Its like a feeling of excitement because the ball season is just around the corner but also a nervous, stressful feeling knowing I have to first go through tryouts. But yea I will take that advice and remember the quote. Thanks.

Same with me, the past year I've pretty much dedicated my entire lifestyle to basketball. I set high expectations for myself and I'm satisfied I put in work so I'm ready to prove myself.

It's natural to be nervous, but trust me, once tryouts start, you'll forget about everything. Like I said earlier, basketball is very good at capturing your mind/focus/attention. Looking ahead to any kind of athletic competition, I get very nervous but once it starts, I'm hyped up and completely ready to try out.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #22
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Got the permission slip for my tryouts today. They aren't until November but I'm getting so freaking pumped up.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #23
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Tryouts are fast approaching and I am starting to feel the nerves. I feel confident I will make the team but I always have some type of doubts in my head. Like what if I under perform or get nervous or tired. What are some tips for tryouts. Like during the scrimmages I really want to showcase my skills as a SG or PG, what will the coaches be looking for. I know my coach is looking for the basic stuff like defense, rebounding, hustle and hard work. But what other aspects do coaches really look for in players?

As a high school coach, one thing that I am looking for in a player is:
1. Attitude/Coachability- You have to have a great attitude. When a coach offers advice or suggestions, will you take that advice or go your own way? Your work ethic is included in attitude. When we are doing defensive drills, will you give me 100% or 50%? If you do not get a lot of minutes, will you create a problem for the team? Again, attitude and coachability is what it all comes down to.

As for actual skills; footwork, shooting range and shooting, ball-handling, rebounding, and passing are the keys. You have to have the fundamentals down. That is it. Good luck and don't worry. The best advice I can give you, and I am sure you have heard it said before: Play Every Play Like It Is the Last Play That You Will Ever Play. Be assertive from the start. Act like that basketball is your favorite food item. Treat every drill like it is a Gold Medal round and you want that Gold. Just hustle on all plays.

Good luck,

Coach Robinson
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
As a high school coach, one thing that I am looking for in a player is:
1. Attitude/Coachability- You have to have a great attitude. When a coach offers advice or suggestions, will you take that advice or go your own way? Your work ethic is included in attitude. When we are doing defensive drills, will you give me 100% or 50%? If you do not get a lot of minutes, will you create a problem for the team? Again, attitude and coachability is what it all comes down to.

As for actual skills; footwork, shooting range and shooting, ball-handling, rebounding, and passing are the keys. You have to have the fundamentals down. That is it. Good luck and don't worry. The best advice I can give you, and I am sure you have heard it said before: Play Every Play Like It Is the Last Play That You Will Ever Play. Be assertive from the start. Act like that basketball is your favorite food item. Treat every drill like it is a Gold Medal round and you want that Gold. Just hustle on all plays.

Good luck,

Coach Robinson

Thanks for the advice coach. I have a question. What if the coach sees a lot of the talented players and you get over shadowed. I feel that I get overshadowed by coaches for some reason maybe because they do not see my skill set and how hard I work. I just don't want to be overlooked this year because I've worked so hard and I have dedicated time in the off season to the team and a bunch of players are going to come in and try take my spot.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jerzymade has an OK reputation so far

Im not trying to sound like im judging you but, IF you really worked hard and dedicated the summer to getting better than you wouldn't be nervous. Because once you see the improvement then you will automatically gain confidence. And confidence will reflect in your game. And you can't be afraid of failure mj didnt make his varsity team and worked and prepared for next year to show they made a mistake john wall too. Nba players weren't all ways the best player on their teams they put in the work and gain confidence. I remeber when i was younger i was overweight and i let me being out of shape control my life even though i loved basketball (Missed out on a lot of opportunities but some of the best players in my school were always asking me why i didn't try out, and i felt it's obvious im fat). Even in my terrible shape coaches still wanted my to play for the team. I gain confidence knowing i was wanted and i had the skills. I played lost a ton of weight and next year i was so skinny i was moved to the pg position. ANd by your title it sounds like you didnt put the work in. Because it sounds like your more worried than excited, I forgot who said this but "You only feel pressure when you are not prepared" Basically just put the work in bruh
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #26
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzymade
Im not trying to sound like im judging you but, IF you really worked hard and dedicated the summer to getting better than you wouldn't be nervous. Because once you see the improvement then you will automatically gain confidence. And confidence will reflect in your game. And you can't be afraid of failure mj didnt make his varsity team and worked and prepared for next year to show they made a mistake john wall too. Nba players weren't all ways the best player on their teams they put in the work and gain confidence. I remeber when i was younger i was overweight and i let me being out of shape control my life even though i loved basketball (Missed out on a lot of opportunities but some of the best players in my school were always asking me why i didn't try out, and i felt it's obvious im fat). Even in my terrible shape coaches still wanted my to play for the team. I gain confidence knowing i was wanted and i had the skills. I played lost a ton of weight and next year i was so skinny i was moved to the pg position. ANd by your title it sounds like you didnt put the work in. Because it sounds like your more worried than excited, I forgot who said this but "You only feel pressure when you are not prepared" Basically just put the work in bruh

i def put in the work. But have you ever been in a situation were you are playing against players that are just as talented as you and you feel that you are not the best on the court. A lot of the time when I play against some talented players I forget that I myself am just or maybe more talented than they are. Then I begin to think too much and mess up and lose confidence. Like lets say I am playing a game and I miss a layup and everyone is like "wow he sucks he missed a layup" in my mind i start to think how did I miss that did I do something wrong. I overthink it and may end up missing another one. My problem is that I worry too much when playing.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #27
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
i def put in the work. But have you ever been in a situation were you are playing against players that are just as talented as you and you feel that you are not the best on the court. A lot of the time when I play against some talented players I forget that I myself am just or maybe more talented than they are. Then I begin to think too much and mess up and lose confidence. Like lets say I am playing a game and I miss a layup and everyone is like "wow he sucks he missed a layup" in my mind i start to think how did I miss that did I do something wrong. I overthink it and may end up missing another one. My problem is that I worry too much when playing.

I agree with this and your previous post. I know I put in the work but there's still that lingering "what if?" doubt that stems from me being cut repeatedly and being told I wasn't good. For me, tryouts this year is going to be excellent if everything goes right. My cardio's a little weak but my skills have made ridiculous leaps compared to last year.

I'm not sure about other HS players but I know when I play with college players my game goes to a different style. My offensive game is a little reduced due to the presence of better playmakers but my defensive confidence goes up alot. The better the offensive player I'm facing, the more confident I can lock him in on defense. So hopefully that can translate come tryouts.

But like I said earlier, just stop thinking and start playing. It's pretty easy to tell when a player is all nervous about his shooting and his performance. If you have a bad tryout or you're nervous cause you're throwing up shots and not making them, there's 2 things you have to keep in mind. One, people forget after a couple days or even after the game. I've shot like 2 for 18 in pickup and people weren't really happy but the next day it was like it never happened.

Second, if you want to be a legit scorer, you have to accept that shots are going to be missed and mistakes are going to be made. It's part of the role of having the ball so much, if you bring the ball up the floor as a PG for every play of the game, you best bet you're going to lose it at least once if the defense is respectable. So stop thinking because even if you make the team, your conscience is only going to get in the way of your goal of being a scorer. Forget about everything and just work on creating a play or putting the ball in the basket. Those are much more important than what your teammates think. Besides, any decent teammate would know full well that shots are missed over the course of a game. People who don't accept that should rethink the game.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #28
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

ehh I have to agree with jerzey on this one. If you worked and you know you worked as much as you could, then you'll have confidence. Before, when I did like half ass shots for an hour a day, I was pretty nervous about my abilities. Now, I train on a specific schedule every single freaken day on a consistent daily basis and I know I'm better than whoever doesn't work harder than me and is a worse athlete.

A tip from me about confidence would be to find people who could literally destroy you at everything, and then you vs them over and over until you could keep up with them. I used to be destroyed every single time by a group of college basketball players and almost got dunked on, but they had mercy on me lol. When I play with them now, I'm viewed as the "player who will get better" instead of the "skillfully challenged" player I used to be.

Yeah, it's hard at times for me too. Remember though, you aren't there to impress the people, you're there to win and to sort of "impress" yourself. What I mean is that you're there to win it for yourself, and the one person who wants it more than anyone is yourself. You're the only one living your life, so you might as well live it to the max.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #29
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Thanks for the advice coach. I have a question. What if the coach sees a lot of the talented players and you get over shadowed. I feel that I get overshadowed by coaches for some reason maybe because they do not see my skill set and how hard I work. I just don't want to be overlooked this year because I've worked so hard and I have dedicated time in the off season to the team and a bunch of players are going to come in and try take my spot.

Good question, MannyO. The thing with getting overlooked is, which do you have control over. Do have control over who the coach or how you play? There will be talented players at tryouts, that is a given. But those talented players have attitude problems, grade issues, or other issues. You can only control what you bring to the table.

You can't control what the coach does, only yourself. If at the end of the tryout period you have given it 110% and you know that you have done your best, that is all that you can do. You have to have faith in your ability and yourself. BE Confident, man. Set the tone early in tryouts. You will make it.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #30
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jerzymade has an OK reputation so far

like i said im not trying to sound like a jerk. But it's impossible if you really put in work, you may think you put in work but if your still having confidence issues then i don't think you are going that hard, don't get offended but if you evaluate your work and say i can't wait to get into a game. Practice is suppose to be ten times harder than any game you play, If you practice hard the games come easy. Like i said not trying to sound like a jerk but think of it like this, when you have a test and didnt study your not confident you panic and try to remeber everything from before and start to overthink. But if you studied and prepared your confident and can't wait for the test because you know your ready and put the time in. Same thing with basketball, tryouts are your test and it sounds like your not prepared. Don't get offended i'm just trying to help hope everything works out for you.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: