Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #31
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Tryouts in less than 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
ehh I have to agree with jerzey on this one. If you worked and you know you worked as much as you could, then you'll have confidence. Before, when I did like half ass shots for an hour a day, I was pretty nervous about my abilities. Now, I train on a specific schedule every single freaken day on a consistent daily basis and I know I'm better than whoever doesn't work harder than me and is a worse athlete.
I think it's all relative. There's a ton of factors that will play a role in confidence and success. In high school, I knew busting my butt all the time, working on my game, and going hard would put me above 99% of the players in my conference - and it did.

However, no matter how much work I put in and how hard I went, I still felt that confidence swaying when I tried out for a minor pro club. Basketball's been my life but at some point there's a cutoff where, regardless of the time you put in, you might just not be on the level of your competition. I stayed as confident as possible and I kept my head up, but I'll be darned if I wasn't playing a little tentative and whatnot. All of the sudden I could feel myself pressing a little, shooting not to miss and maybe forcing a pass to make up for a prior mistake.

During a tryout sometimes we really need to check ourselves, and I did in my situation. I reminded myself what I was in control of, that everyone was making mistakes and that the best I could do was not make any kind of deal about what I did wrong and just go as hard as possible. I had to turn off conscious thought to an extent.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #32
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I think it's all relative. There's a ton of factors that will play a role in confidence and success. In high school, I knew busting my butt all the time, working on my game, and going hard would put me above 99% of the players in my conference - and it did.

However, no matter how much work I put in and how hard I went, I still felt that confidence swaying when I tried out for a minor pro club. Basketball's been my life but at some point there's a cutoff where, regardless of the time you put in, you might just not be on the level of your competition. I stayed as confident as possible and I kept my head up, but I'll be darned if I wasn't playing a little tentative and whatnot. All of the sudden I could feel myself pressing a little, shooting not to miss and maybe forcing a pass to make up for a prior mistake.

During a tryout sometimes we really need to check ourselves, and I did in my situation. I reminded myself what I was in control of, that everyone was making mistakes and that the best I could do was not make any kind of deal about what I did wrong and just go as hard as possible. I had to turn off conscious thought to an extent.

yea im pretty confident for tryouts now. Because I know that I have put in the work and I dedicated alot of time to my game and the team. Im just going to go out there and play hard and smart then look forward to practice on sat. Thanks for all the help yall. Tryouts start tmm btw.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #33
Underballer
Decent playground baller

Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way

tryouts just ended for us, was kind of confident during tryouts, but did bad during the last one, i was gonna make it anyone but for some reason i though ti wouldnt, but i made it now. Started a few practices, pretty nervous, no more scrimmaging, having hard time doing a fast break drill facing against some guys that are pretty much willing to lay you out on defence to prove themselves. Ball also feels like a bowling ball when im runinng the break too. need help going 1v1 on fast break, any tips?
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #34
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Yep, but remember it's the amount of things you get done, not the amount of time you spend to practice.

Well, some tips from me are: 1. Just run faster then them(pretty easy) 2. If they're close and they sprinted towards you, just halt all of a sudden or do a hesitation move then explode up(they'll be left in the dust) 3. Do a reverse layup if they're somewhat close 4. Do a dream shake if their prone to jumping up for a block 5. If they're just trying to scare you, do a layup with an according side and hand(left side with left hand and right side with right hand). 6. If they're running as fast as they can, freeze in midair(they'll try to stop themselves from crashing on the ground) then layup.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #35
Underballer
Decent playground baller

Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way

oh, its a 2v1 drill, 2 players on offense, my main problem is the guy that cheats on the layup a bit, but if he sees youre commited to the layup, he'll freakin lay you out before u get it up
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #36
MannyO
Super Cool E

first day of tryouts went good for me. The competition was pathetic, I led in all the sprints/suicides, did good on the drills, my team destroyed every team we played in the scrimmages and I also did pretty well. My main problem though is just finishing layups. My layups are too inconsistent for my liking (even though I only missed one in tryouts). But yea I now aim for the bottom corner of the square more often because I feel the shot is easier because it bounces directly in. Maybe my focus was off. Also I have to finish better in traffic.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #37
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
first day of tryouts went good for me. The competition was pathetic, I led in all the sprints/suicides, did good on the drills, my team destroyed every team we played in the scrimmages and I also did pretty well. My main problem though is just finishing layups. My layups are too inconsistent for my liking (even though I only missed one in tryouts). But yea I now aim for the bottom corner of the square more often because I feel the shot is easier because it bounces directly in. Maybe my focus was off. Also I have to finish better in traffic.
don't take your eyes off of the ball during layups. good luck in making the team.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #38
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
don't take your eyes off of the ball during layups. good luck in making the team.

so how would I see the basket? lol
Old 11-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #39
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

I'd focus on the basket and any defenders coming my way. And expect to get hit. For me, every time I drive I'm expecting contact. Sometimes I even try to create contact to freeze my defender. Imagine you're going up for a block and the other guy literally crashes into you. Both of you go flying back and he can still regain balance and finish.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #40
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Tryouts are tomorrow... I'm ready.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: