Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Default Re: Post Your Mike D'antoni stuff here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Tom Thibadeau is showing why he was a gr8 assistant but not a head coach in the pros.He's a good Xs and Os guy but I've seen @ least 2 Bulls games already and his substitution patterns are ridiculous.

Would D'antoni and Thibbs make a good tandem on the bench??
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I dont think so because D'antoni's offense put a strain on the defense.So many shots in so little time will undoubtedly lead to some easy buckets for the opposing team.Besides,I dont like D'Antoni's substitution patterns either.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:28 AM   #18
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

I don't know. Looking at it from the other direction: good defense precipitates the break. Stops, rebounds outlets --> fast points, trailing shooters, etc. D'antoni seems more committed to defense this year though.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #19
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
I don't know. Looking at it from the other direction: good defense precipitates the break. Stops, rebounds outlets --> fast points, trailing shooters, etc. D'antoni seems more committed to defense this year though.
It might be the players too.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #20
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Im not willing to give any credit honestly to D'Antoni for our defensive improvement.As much as I rip some guys,our defense IMO seems to be where it is because of enhanced effort.We still are fundamentally weak in alot of areas on D.We just play way harder on that end and alotta credit has to go to Turiaf and Douglas.Although I'm not a fan of Douglas,he sets the tone for our pgs and wing players defensively.We're more active with our hands then we've been in almost a decade.I think Turiaf has set the tone for our bigs.4 once,ppl actually think twice before coming in the lane on us.Something Eddy Curry,David Lee,Jerome James,Al Harrington etc etc etc never provided.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #21
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

We have very talented individual defenders, that's why the defensive stats are right up there with the best of 'em (stats, blocks). Because they have so much talent. They need to work on communicating and playing team defense. They have a lot of potential defensively.

Last edited by NY-Knicks : 11-08-2010 at 05:42 PM.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #22
New York Knicks
Banned

Fields should be playing 35+ minutes a night. He's the one guy that really knows what he's doing out there. He can run the PnR effectively, can pass on the move, moves the ball quickly, and cuts at the right times. I really like Douglas and Chandler, but Fields is just a better fit than those guys. If you watched the whole game, you'd notice Fields was key in just about every run we made. And when he sat, ball movement suffered. I hate it when coaches have to play player politics and try to keep everyone happy with minutes. Chandler's really good for stretches but you can't have him out there trying to create off the dribble. You'll get lucky sometimes, but that's not his game. He's a guy with just enough ballhandling ability to get to the basket, but he definitely can't maneuver around defenders cause he's a natural PF not a wing player. He has the body of a wing player, but the skills of an interior player. Fields is the team's best and most efficient playmaker. He NEEDS to be in there. I just hope D'Antoni realizes it sooner rather than later.
New York Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #23
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Come on, I agree with everthing except Chandler being an NBA PF.

He is a SF, who at times can play multiple positions.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #24
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Would D'antoni and Thibbs make a good tandem on the bench??
I don't even think D'Antoni's that great of an offensive mind. I think Phil Jackson is the best offensive mind in the game. D'Antoni just runs a really fast system so the team can score before the defense is set. But in the halfcourt, the offense looks awful. The only smart thing he's ever done in his career was to let Nash run the offense 100% of the time he was on the court. He's the real mastermind. Guys will run and get open if they know they'll get the ball. We have no player that really has the vision or creativity to do that. Felton's a bulldog and he can really drive, but he's not a creative passing PG. He wasn't two steps ahead of everyone in the building like Nash was. That's why we need smarter players out there with finishers. When the offense gets stagnant, D'Antoni should put in this emergency lineup:

Felton
Fields
Gallinari or Chandler
Amare
Turiaf

And run EVERYTHING through Fields. Let him run the PnR. He's the only player on the team I've seen actually run it properly. Let Felton and Gallo spot up for threes. And when they run zone run the high post through Turiaf because he's a very good passer as well. D'Antoni needs to stop with his player politics BS of trying to get every player minutes. Our goal is to win. If some players need to take a seat for a while for that to happen, so be it. Chandler's a good explosive player but he's not really a good fit. Same with Douglas. They can come in for bursts of energy, but I wouldn't leave those guys in the game if the offense is struggling because neither are good playmakers.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #25
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Come on, I agree with everthing except Chandler being an NBA PF.

He is a SF, who at times can play multiple positions.
If you even ask him what position he's most comfortable playing, it's PF. Anyone that's followed Chandler extensively will know that. He played it all through college. He developed enough skills to survive in the NBA at SF, but that's definitely not his main position. I'm not saying he's an NBA PF. He doesn't have the body for it. But skill-wise, he's a face-up PF with some perimeter skills. He's always been able to step out and hit the jumper, even in college, but he never had strong enough ballhandling skills to be used as a wing player for long stretches. There's a reason why he's called for traveling so much. He's not comfortable handling the ball that often.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #26
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

He's a face up PF that doesnt post up,has a fairly good handle for a 6'8" guy, can't shoot it decently for a guy his size,slashed to the basket and is one of the most athletic guys on our team...in other words...he's a SF lol

As for that Landry Fields statement,I dont know about fits but all I know is so far in this young season,Chandler HAS to be considered our MVP if we were to give out an award today.He has definitely been our most consistent and productive player.PPL are already talking about him for most improved player.Toney Douglas,despite my reservation still about him playing the point, has shown tremendous heart and effort....especially on D.Dude pretty much embarassed Kirk Hinrich.Hinrich could barely advance the ball past half court.I dont dismiss you admiration for Landry's play but if he's gonna start,the only person who should be sittin behind him should be Gallinari.And for the record, no this is not me "hating" on Gallinari...fair is fair.He's been the least consistent out of our wing players.Just givin credit where credit is due...n i've been doin that alot more often as of late.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #27
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter

We need Ricky Rubio.
earlofupstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #28
Jasi
Quality?

Quote:
He's a face up PF that doesnt post up,has a fairly good handle for a 6'8" guy, can't shoot it decently for a guy his size,slashed to the basket and is one of the most athletic guys on our team...in other words...he's a SF lol

As for that Landry Fields statement,I dont know about fits but all I know is so far in this young season,Chandler HAS to be considered our MVP if we were to give out an award today.He has definitely been our most consistent and productive player.PPL are already talking about him for most improved player.Toney Douglas,despite my reservation still about him playing the point, has shown tremendous heart and effort....especially on D.Dude pretty much embarassed Kirk Hinrich.Hinrich could barely advance the ball past half court.I dont dismiss you admiration for Landry's play but if he's gonna start,the only person who should be sittin behind him should be Gallinari.And for the record, no this is not me "hating" on Gallinari...fair is fair.He's been the least consistent out of our wing players.Just givin credit where credit is due...n i've been doin that alot more often as of late.

I am with you franchize, Gallo hasn't been consistent at all.
But we're only 7 games into the season, so we can hope he will step up more constantly (and I am confident he will) in the near future.

I am happy about Mike D so far.
Props to him for figuring out Wilson's role (since he comes off the bench he's having his best games in his whole career).
Props to him for believing in a 39th pick. I love high-IQ players who hardly ever make wrong choices, and Landry is one of them.

The only setback is the Amar'e issue. I hope Mike D can deal with this "I can play like Kobe" attitude of his soon...
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #29
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Here's my problem with putting Chandler on the bench: if we want to play him 30-35+ minutes per game (which he should be getting since he has been our best player), then we have to stuff those minutes into a shorter period of time. If we bring him in at say the 6 minute mark of the 1st, then he has to play 35 of the next 42 minutes, with only 7 minutes of rest. He will get burned out that way. He is a budding star, and we should be featuring him, not using him as a "spark".
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #30
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Chandler does not have a "fairly good handle". His handles are awful for his position. I've watched enough basketball to know that. He's a PF. He's been asked what his natural position is. And that's what he said. He's basically a smaller Amare with better defense and lateral movement. Like I said, physically he's built like a SF. But his skills make him more of a face-up PF. How many post-up PF's are there in the game? Four? I'd say he's closer to Amare Stoudemire than he is to Rudy Gay or Danny Granger. THOSE guys can handle the ball. And they're not even LeBron-level handles. But still miles above Wil. My biggest knock on Chandler and I've mentioned this several times all summer is his ballhandling. It's just really really bad. Our team's gonna suffer if he starts over Fields cause we'd only have Felton handling the ball. Wil can't maneuver around to shake free and drive and create. He can handle it enough to drive when the lane is WIDE open. That's all. Why do you think he takes all those step back fadeaways from mid-range? Like Amare, he's a finisher, not a creator. Fields brings the ballhandling ability and basketball IQ. I don't know why nobody else can see that Chandler has very poor handles for a wing player.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: