Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 11-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Rodney Stuckey and coach Kuester having problems

But Rodney Stuckey -- one night after Pistons coach John Kuester questioned the team's lack of leadership in a blowout home loss to the Celtics ----didn't play the last 20:56 of the game after he went to the bench. Detroit Free Press

Early in the third quarter, Kuester called for Stuckey twice during a stoppage in play and Stuckey didn't acknowledge him. Kuester immediately summoned DaJuan Summers from the bench and replaced Stuckey at the 9:04 mark of the quarter. Stuckey was done for the night after playing only 13 minutes. He finished with five points and three assists on 2-for-6 shooting. Detroit Free Press

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumor...#ixzz14LD07wLq
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Default Re: Rodney Stuckey and coach Kuester having problems

i just lost a ton of respect for Stuckey
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

I didn't. Leadership starts at the coaching position. That is what the coach is payed for. It's the coaches responsibility to manage the personalities of the team. Stuckey is in a contract year. He has to play well. He wants to play well. Kuester has been messing with Stuckey throughout the preseason and now even into the season. I've never understood his reasoning behind most of his rotations. I think he needs to be fired. How can any FA in the league take the Pistons seriously with Kuester as the head coach? FA's will see the current players aren't happy. They will see what could potentially happen to their PT and what it could do to their brand and image. I can think of a lot of other coaches athletes would rather play for. Bring in someone defensive minded with a name.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

people overreact to this stuff, not a big deal. Move on.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

I think at first glance it's one of those things that you would think is a thing to over react to but I really think there is an issue with the coach and players here. Let's face it, Kuester was never a long term solution who any team thinking about contending would hire. He's just the guy who's going to be the coach through the rebuilding. If he can't help the young guys grow and get better in the league then he shouldn't be there. So far he isn't doing that. With as good as some of the young talent has been I feel like they've been held back. Look at Jerebko last year for example.... there was never any plays ran for him. How do we know what he can do in a game if plays are never ran for you. Sure he started but we never got to see all he was capable of at that point in time. Why is it so hard to find a good coach in the NBA???? I really wish we would have went after Avery when we had the chance.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I completely disagree with your assessment of Kuester. He may or may not work out here in Detroit, but I think he is a very good talent as a HC. Great offensive mind and learned under soem really good HCs/motivators/defensive coaches in Larry and Mike Brown.

There does seem to be a disconnect right now, but I think part of it is that we are losing and we haven't established chemistry or consistent rotations just yet. We have to see what things look like after 40 games IMHO.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I completely disagree with your assessment of Kuester. He may or may not work out here in Detroit, but I think he is a very good talent as a HC. Great offensive mind and learned under soem really good HCs/motivators/defensive coaches in Larry and Mike Brown.

There does seem to be a disconnect right now, but I think part of it is that we are losing and we haven't established chemistry or consistent rotations just yet. We have to see what things look like after 40 games IMHO.

I think Mike Brown is a terrible head coach too. I think Larry Brown is a good head coach but he really kills a teams offense. I think with the personal here in Detroit for that one season it was able to work out but it was obvious that couldn't be a long term solution. Whenever a coach starts to lose the players they are done. Kuester is losing control of his players already...
Old 11-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Kombo
:)

I can't watch the game, looks like Coach isn't putting him in. This isn't good news.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombo
I can't watch the game, looks like Coach isn't putting him in. This isn't good news.

I know. Like I said, this wasn't a situation where people are over reacting. This is a legit problem.... While it's nice to actually see T-Mac play decent in the time he's had tonight because of it I didn't want to see that at Stuckey's expense. I'm about to start a fire Kuester bandwagon..... I'm really not happy about this.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Apparently it isn't just Stuckey who has had issues with Kuester it is also Prince. Whose side is everybody on now? The players or Kuester? I side with the players. What is worse about this is there's actually a chance that Tay could have been a Piston for life. I know we all want a trade but we want one that is good for us. If Tay is upset that means he is going to walk and we will be forced to trade him. That means his stock goes down and we get less for him..... Detroit really needs to look into that Kaman deal ASAP. I think Monroe and Kaman could be a pretty nasty front court. Does anybody know what the word is on Illitch buying the Pistons? We really need that deal to be finalized.....
Old 11-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I"m not sure if Kaman is the guy I want. He is just so BAD on defense that I don't know if it's worth it for his O. Especially paired with Monroe who will never be dominant defensively.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I know. Like I said, this wasn't a situation where people are over reacting. This is a legit problem.... While it's nice to actually see T-Mac play decent in the time he's had tonight because of it I didn't want to see that at Stuckey's expense. I'm about to start a fire Kuester bandwagon..... I'm really not happy about this.

Lol, give it a few games. I'm betting it sets a fire under Stuckey and gets him going right. He was playing like a jackass.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I"m not sure if Kaman is the guy I want. He is just so BAD on defense that I don't know if it's worth it for his O. Especially paired with Monroe who will never be dominant defensively.

Since when is Kaman a terrible defender? I wouldn't say he is great but I wouldn't say he is bad. I think in the right system he could be better too. The jury is still out on Monroe. I've actually liked what I've seen so far. He is our best rebounder rightnow and passes great just like everyone has said. I think defense is something anybody can do if they really want to. It's almost a matter of will rather than skill. Of course you have to be able to read the offensive players which is something that can be learned through video tape.

I also can't think of any other centers that will likely be available. I highly doubt Portland is going to let Oden walk. Marc Gasol will probably end up with the Grizzlies again. Who else do you want? Don't give me someone like Fesenko either. I mean a proven basketball player.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Since when is Kaman a terrible defender? I wouldn't say he is great but I wouldn't say he is bad. I think in the right system he could be better too. The jury is still out on Monroe. I've actually liked what I've seen so far. He is our best rebounder rightnow and passes great just like everyone has said. I think defense is something anybody can do if they really want to. It's almost a matter of will rather than skill. Of course you have to be able to read the offensive players which is something that can be learned through video tape.

I also can't think of any other centers that will likely be available. I highly doubt Portland is going to let Oden walk. Marc Gasol will probably end up with the Grizzlies again. Who else do you want? Don't give me someone like Fesenko either. I mean a proven basketball player.

Not saying it's likely at all, but if Oden is somehow a FA I'd like to offer him as much as we can. Take the gamble, F it. How often do you get a shot at a dominant C?? There is a point where Port can't match. However, we likely lack the cap space unless we deal Rip for expirings.

I would take Kaman, don't get me wrong, but it's not going to solve our issues. I'm a CMU alum and a fan of Kaman, but make no mistake about it, he is TERRIBLE defensively, other than shot blocking. This isn't an opinion thing or anything like that. It's a commonly known fact. i do not mean to disrespect you or come at you like an A-hole, but i want to make this clear. I'd personally rather have a guy like Gortat who can defend the 5 and pair well with our offensive minded bigs like Monroe,CV and Daye. Basically a young version of what Wallace is now. Some other options might be a guy like Pryzbilla,Dampier,Chandler,Okafor(big contract so might be dealt despite very good play on both ends so far this year), etc.

Monroe will be fine defensively with his length, but he won't be dominant is all I said. I think of Monroe's highest ceiling, on both ends of the floor, as being Pau Gasol. He has become a very nice defender who uses his length to cover his arse at times. That's be GREAT from Monroe IMO, just fine. I like GM, trust me.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I get the feeling this incident with Stuckey/Kuester is over fwiw
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: