Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Guarding crafty ball handlers

This is one of my weak points. For me its hard to guard a player that is crafty with the ball especially if you include the fact that they a quick. I know you have to watch the midsection and everything but when I watch that area and the person does a crossover or something his body moves in that direction making it seem like that is where he is going and of course crosses over and now I can't recover quick enough.

How do you guard such players?
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Guarding crafty ball handlers

i always tell my son to use his long arms and legs to his advantage. stretch them out and help corral the faster player in front of u.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Well, they aren't moving their waist. Like you said, it just SEEMS they are. If they actually did, then 1. If they move the direction their waist turned, you could already plant a foot in the direction they could only go and bam you got them beat 2. They are too slow and you end up smacking the ball and they lose at least 5 feet from the hoop or you end up stealing it. Aren't those win win situations? In the end, it's just all about basketball iq and athleticity. That's why you have to train your hardest to be good in the areas you want to be. There was a guy that was 6'0 who could own me any time he wanted before the summer. I ended up training my athletic ability and basketball skills. Now, I beat him by like 2 points in a 1v1(I'm around 5'9 right now).
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
AJ2k8
Banned

AJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Obviously if you're not quick enough you'll have to work on your defensive agility but without doing all that:

Stay low
Don't lift your feet when moving
Watch the midsection
Give yourself some space if you need to
Send them towards your help

..and a little extra one i like to do if i do get blown by is...hard foul them

By hard foul i mean stick your arm out in front of them or get a leg out in front of them if you can just to stop them getting to the hoop or perhaps even doing it again
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
MannyO
Super Cool E

if I tripped them in tryouts I think that is a one way ticket to being cut lol. But I do have the lateral quickness to stay with the player its just the crafty ball handling ability. And yes it is possible to move your midsection during a move like a crossover, just look at AI, Steve Francis, CP3, etc. Thats why it is so hard to guard because you never know when its coming
Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
AJ2k8
Banned

AJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you defend with the intention to cut the guy off and try and guess where he's going it's as good as gambling. Watching the mid-section is only as good as how you move, so if your footwork is good enough and you keep your weight back and your feet close to the ground you should be able to move in sync with the guy your defending and if you're slightly behind then take a few small steps back and distance yourself, gotta remember even NBA players distance themselves from quick ball handlers.

Back to the AI, CP3 point if you have a look at most of the crossover mixes you can spot a fault in the defense nearly every time, most of the time it's guys gambling or having their weight too far forward and how many time in those videos is the defender watching the mid section
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2k8
If you defend with the intention to cut the guy off and try and guess where he's going it's as good as gambling. Watching the mid-section is only as good as how you move, so if your footwork is good enough and you keep your weight back and your feet close to the ground you should be able to move in sync with the guy your defending and if you're slightly behind then take a few small steps back and distance yourself, gotta remember even NBA players distance themselves from quick ball handlers.

Back to the AI, CP3 point if you have a look at most of the crossover mixes you can spot a fault in the defense nearly every time, most of the time it's guys gambling or having their weight too far forward and how many time in those videos is the defender watching the mid section
AI and CP3 set their crossovers up beautifully. They get the defense off balance and then attack.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

^^ yep I forgot to say they get the defense off balance. But, yeah in the end it just depends on their athleticity. A guy's slow crossover from twisting his hip might be another guy's HOLY SH** THAT'S FAST.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

When you don't know each way that you'll be cross just stay in your position, most of the times they stop the cross or go against your body and it's an offensive foul.
A very important thing, move your hands like you're going to steal the ball but don't try to steal .. just pressure. (as a PG that i am it's something that incomodate me when i have guys defending me with active hands).
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'd also suggest providing a little more space. If your opposition has dynamite range though, that could complicate things.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
MannyO
Super Cool E

ok What i would do is stay in position until the player executed the crossover and then react. But normally if I stay still and wait he would have already 'frozen' me and got by me. But if I do react he will crossover and get by me. Its hard to stop. I agree with the keep hands active but at the same time I dont want to reach because when I do I would be off balance and it gives the person an advantage.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

observe their habits. some guys look totally awesome but when you look closely, they have tendencies or patterns that you can use to your advantage.

Is he good going to his weakside?
does he have a jumpshot?
is he a good passer?

Their are players that usually shoot when going to his strong side then usually pass when going to their weakside or vice versa.

if they dont have a jumpshot, or have a slow release, give them some space.

And as what others say, stay low, don't be too close, focus on the waist. play the angles to block their path
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
sh0wtime

sh0wtime has no real reputation yet.

Work on your lateral quickness, footwork, thats the thing which helped me the best.
sh0wtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #14
Underballer
Decent playground baller

Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way

play dirty
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
MannyO
Super Cool E

Lol at play dirt... but it is true. What a friend of mine does is he gives little pushes at the waist area to keep the offensive player in front. He barely ever gets called for it and it
Is effective. I'm going to use it especially since the floor is slippery.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: