Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default My school's team doesn't practice?

I was talking to one of my classmates yesterday who is on varsity and I asked him what kind of offseason work he did.

His reply was that he didn't and that no one on the varsity team did because our team apparently wasn't "allowed" to practice outside of the season.

So I asked him why didn't one of the captains or senior players organize some unofficial practice. Then he told me that no one did. And also that no one bothered to train by themselves.

When I asked him how the team was supposed to get better without offseason training, he said: "does [a team that beat our school last year in the playoffs] practice in the offseason? do the Celtics practice in the offseason?"

My reaction to all this is: What? I don't understand what is up with my school. They all get by on talent and when an opponent like the school that beat us wins, they wonder why? I'm not even close to varsity level yet and I'm seriously disappointed that these dudes aren't even working. I mean I expected it because I never saw them get better or work out but I figured they might have done some kind of little scrimmages in the offseason or something.

Is anyone else's town like this? Like people just don't care about basketball? It is definitely true that "everyone wants to be the best but very few want to work to be at that level".
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: My school's team doesn't practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I was talking to one of my classmates yesterday who is on varsity and I asked him what kind of offseason work he did.

His reply was that he didn't and that no one on the varsity team did because our team apparently wasn't "allowed" to practice outside of the season.

So I asked him why didn't one of the captains or senior players organize some unofficial practice. Then he told me that no one did. And also that no one bothered to train by themselves.

When I asked him how the team was supposed to get better without offseason training, he said: "does [a team that beat our school last year in the playoffs] practice in the offseason? do the Celtics practice in the offseason?"

My reaction to all this is: What? I don't understand what is up with my school. They all get by on talent and when an opponent like the school that beat us wins, they wonder why? I'm not even close to varsity level yet and I'm seriously disappointed that these dudes aren't even working. I mean I expected it because I never saw them get better or work out but I figured they might have done some kind of little scrimmages in the offseason or something.

Is anyone else's town like this? Like people just don't care about basketball? It is definitely true that "everyone wants to be the best but very few want to work to be at that level".

You know that i'm not from US, but in my country i know plenty of teams like that in under 16 and under 18 competitions.
Kids don't practice, and they show up at last practice of the week to don't be cut (the guys that practice are always the scrubs). So, at weekend games .. people who practised don't play and people that didn't practised play just because they are talented.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

seems that all players should be working on their game constantly, whether they are naturally talented or not. i would just worry about yourself or maybe talk to a few other players and organize a practice.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Maga_1

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
seems that all players should be working on their game constantly, whether they are naturally talented or not. i would just worry about yourself or maybe talk to a few other players and organize a practice.

The point that i understand is .. the other guys in his team don't give a fukc about off season practices, that's what worried me when i read this.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

No, I'm not on the team and I never was, and even then I feel like anything they would do would not be as effective or efficient as something I did by myself or with one/two other people.

The other people just don't give a sh*t about getting better. I mean every day I hear about how so and so got so high over the weekend or how wild the party was or when they're going to play xbox. And that's during the school year. This past year, the gym and the outdoor courts were almost completely empty. I only saw some of the players from JV once and when I asked them how their summer was, they just said they chilled and played video games with friends all the time.

Then sometimes they might go to the weight room and do a couple reps of curls or something then leave to play pickup... I don't know anyone else with a consistent training schedule.

I was telling this other kid that if he really wanted to get better he'd have to work harder than everyone around him. He said "then all I have to do is workout twice a week and I'd be doing more than anyone here" and it was crazy because he was right.

I normally wouldn't care because I don't mind when other people aren't working, but these are the same kids who always make the teams, looking to play in college, saying they want/are great... I sound naive and ignorant but that's why I don't want to play for my town/school. It's not because I feel superior, but I feel like if I did my priorities would be different than my potential teammates.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Don't they practice during the season? Why would they practice during off season unless they're really serious about making basketball their job?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Maga_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Don't they practice during the season? Why would they practice during off season unless they're really serious about making basketball their job?

Maybe to be better, since the OP said that they always lost to their rivals.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

For the sake of perspective right from the get-go, I'll explain that my high school was a Michigan Class B, which is the 2nd largest amongst four classes (enrollment around 880). We were a fair-sized school. With that, there was a real limit to those who were truly committed to the game of basketball when I came through. And while that was always dissapointing to me, I can't really hate on it.

On my high school team, I had two or three teammates (aside from myself) who participated in AAU or summer leagues outside of official school activities. By and large, the rest of our roster was made up of guys who either A) jumped from a fall sport right into basketball or B) just played in a couple of open gyms every week leading up to the season. That team went three months without losing a game that year.

And true, you're saying "Well alright, that says a lot about the type of competition you were facing, the fact you could reel off so many wins with a team that really only had 3 players committed through the entire year". But in all honesty, outside of the large chunk of elite basketball schools in America, there's an even bigger chunk of schools who are like your experience, where there's but a small share of players (if any) who care enough to sacrifice like one would expect.

As a coach, I can look back and see (and I see it amongst my players now) that really, they're just kids. They're not college athletes. The ones that want to be college athletes will put in the time. The ones that don't put in the time and still want to be college athletes will have a rude awakening. There's no way I can truly expect every one of my players to be committed year-round to the sport of basketball. There's too many other things going on in these kids' lives: other sports, other subjects, others ways of life.

Of course, all I did as a player was get pissed, just like you. I'd fume when I'd hear about my friends getting completely wasted on the weekends or smoking out before practice. I'd lose it if one of my teammates came to open gym and didn't run the floor. And I'd get bitter at the fact that certain players were never in the gym at all. For a lot of us, that's just going to be a reality of high school basketball. Most of us aren't getting paid to play on this level. And even more have no chance of matching the passion I have for the game, so to expect them to mirror what I do would be unrealistic.

In terms of off-season practices though, at the time our school was limited essentially to the month of June to hold official practices and attend team camps. They were not allowed to hold real practices all year or all summer. I think similar guidelines still exist.

It's unfortunate there seems to be no commitment from anyone at your school. Our team was mired in mediocrity before my crew came through. Know that you have the power to make a change, as cliche as that is. We saw upperclassmen who just didn't really care and we wanted to change things. We had to be a little cocksure to make it happen. We had to know if we put in time we weren't going to be a club to mess with. Even with just a handful of guys believing, it paid off.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 11-08-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Maybe to be better, since the OP said that they always lost to their rivals.

Exactly. That's why anyone practices, so they can improve. I still remember last year how my school lost in like the 2nd round of the playoffs and the next couple of days everyone was like "tough loss" and the players I talked to were making up excuses like "they were more athletic" or some dumb stuff. I mean it's pretty clear that if you're not going to work on your game, you can expect to lose to people more talented/people who actually work.

And sometimes you just want to practice. I feel like if anyone was really passionate about what they did, they'd do whatever it was whenever they could. Playing basketball in the season then finally celebrating when it was over is like saying that basketball is a dreadful activity and that you can't wait until it's over. If someone truly cared about basketball, I feel they'd know that the offseason is both very important for improvement and they should also be looking forward to it since it's more basketball to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
For the sake of perspective right from the get-go, I'll explain that my high school was a Michigan Class B, which is the 2nd largest amongst four classes (enrollment around 880). We were a fair-sized school. With that, there was a real limit to those who were truly committed to the game of basketball when I came through. And while that was always dissapointing to me, I can't really hate on it.

On my high school team, I had two or three teammates (aside from myself) who participated in AAU or summer leagues outside of official school activities. By and large, the rest of our roster was made up of guys who either A) jumped from a fall sport right into basketball or B) just played in a couple of open gyms every week leading up to the season. That team went three months without losing a game that year.

And true, you're saying "Well alright, that says a lot about the type of competition you were facing, the fact you could reel off so many wins with a team that really only had 3 players committed through the entire year". But in all honesty, outside of the large chunk of elite basketball schools in America, there's an even bigger chunk of schools who are like your experience, where there's but a small share of players (if any) who care enough to sacrifice like one would expect.

As a coach, I can look back and see (and I see it amongst my players now) that really, they're just kids. They're not college athletes. The ones that want to be college athletes will put in the time. The ones that don't put in the time and still want to be college athletes will have a rude awakening. There's no way I can truly expect every one of my players to be committed year-round to the sport of basketball. There's too many other things going on in these kids' lives: other sports, other subjects, others ways of life.

Of course, all I did as a player was get pissed, just like you. I'd fume when I'd hear about my friends getting completely wasted on the weekends or smoking out before practice. I'd lose it if one of my teammates came to open gym and didn't run the floor. And I'd get bitter at the fact that certain players were never in the gym at all. For a lot of us, that's just going to be a reality of high school basketball. Most of us aren't getting paid to play on this level. And even more have no chance of matching the passion I have for the game, so to expect them to mirror what I do would be unrealistic.

In terms of off-season practices though, at the time our school was limited essentially to the month of June to hold official practices and attend team camps. They were not allowed to hold real practices all year or all summer. I think similar guidelines still exist.

It's unfortunate there seems to be no commitment from anyone at your school. Our team was mired in mediocrity before my crew came through. Know that you have the power to make a change, as cliche as that is. We saw upperclassmen who just didn't really care and we wanted to change things. We had to be a little cocksure to make it happen. We had to know if we put in time we weren't going to be a club to mess with. Even with just a handful of guys believing, it paid off.

Yeah, that's almost exactly how I feel. I only know one other guy who cares about basketball as much as I do, but he's so angry at the school players and system that he pretty much refuses to play for the school. He is a very talented player and running alongside him I've seen him do work on all sorts of college/post grad players. But he's fed up because everyone on the basketball team doesn't work at all and yet they make it over him and rub it in his face.

I'm pretty upset and frustrated too but I know there's nothing I can do about it. I kind of view it as an advantage because I know their lack of effort gives me a chance to improve and catch up to them, but it still frustrates me because they pretty much get a free ride with the school while I'm scrapping just to make a JV team.

Whenever I pick up a SLAM magazine or a ESPN Rise magazine, I flip to their high school section and read up on how the top players in the country are constantly looking to improve and how their hard work puts them at the top. And many times I wish I could be around people like that, people who dream and work to achieve their goals.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I was born in a poor/low income environment. I may sound ignorant but those times I wish that was me. I wish I had the entire world to work against me and in order to make a good life for myself I'd need to really push constantly against everyone else because I needed to secure a college education. Instead, now, I'm in a high-income suburb where everyone feels they're entitled to everything. There's no motivation, no inclination for anyone to grind it out. Almost everyone in my school is college-bound and for those who aren't, their parents will help them out financially. And because of that, no one dreams, no one sets goals for themselves.

I remember a couple months back telling my parents I wanted to leave the town. I told them I wanted to go to college somewhere else and the move would clearly have helped my acceptance. But I didn't tell them the other major reason I wanted to leave was because I wanted to move to a new environment and put in work somewhere else... but now I don't have a choice. I'm going to have to find a way to deal with what I have in front of me. I have the power to break the trend and that's what I'm going to do.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Dam, that's gay. Some guy's just go on by their talent given to them. Talent has a limit, but skills doesn't. Show them up by owning them extremely one day(it's one of my goals too. Most of the guys that play basketball on their athletic talent goes to practice 50% of the time). My practice starts tomorrow. I'll practice even more at a park or at home on top of the training to get better than guys with given athletic talent(I don't consider myself talented except being naturally taller, skinnier, and have a fast metabolism). I wish you good luck once again to meet your goals. Maybe one day we'll meet in a competition. For now, goodbye again(dam I'm making it so cheesy lol. That's what I'm good at^^)
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Yeah that sucks, but my school is somewhat similar and I like it. Sure theyre awful, but I'm the starting point guard and I'm out-working all of them so guess who's going to get the shots this season? me. To say you and the other dedicated kid are going to quit just because other kids dont work out? Just go out and do you, you should be happy, this gives you a better shot at playing time and making varsity.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Dam, that's gay. Some guy's just go on by their talent given to them. Talent has a limit, but skills doesn't. Show them up by owning them extremely one day(it's one of my goals too. Most of the guys that play basketball on their athletic talent goes to practice 50% of the time). My practice starts tomorrow. I'll practice even more at a park or at home on top of the training to get better than guys with given athletic talent(I don't consider myself talented except being naturally taller, skinnier, and have a fast metabolism). I wish you good luck once again to meet your goals. Maybe one day we'll meet in a competition. For now, goodbye again(dam I'm making it so cheesy lol. That's what I'm good at^^)

Yeah I have no problem with them not working because I'm steadily getting closer to them in terms of court performance. I have next to no talent in basketball, the only thing I think I can do exceptionally well compared to anyone else is shoot free throws. But I try and make up for that in terms of skills.

Good luck to you also. If you happen to play in the NCAA UAA D3 conference from now until 2016, you'll probably catch me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadefan11
Yeah that sucks, but my school is somewhat similar and I like it. Sure theyre awful, but I'm the starting point guard and I'm out-working all of them so guess who's going to get the shots this season? me. To say you and the other dedicated kid are going to quit just because other kids dont work out? Just go out and do you, you should be happy, this gives you a better shot at playing time and making varsity.

Neither one of us quit, but he doesn't want to play for the school and I do. Like I said above, I have no problem with kids not working hard because it makes my life easier, but when they never take it seriously it does kind of bug me. But I'm not even on the team yet so it's not like they're my teammates... yet.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
JJ81
Good college starter

JJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this board

In the off season, my team dont do strict training/practice like during the season but we still meet up a few times a week to keep fresh with the game, nothing too heavy. Maybe run a few organised scrimmages. The off season is a time where you can work on new skills or strength or fitness, without worrying about getting to burnt out for the next game. Also, it is important to get enough rest before the preseason.

I know a guy who worse a 20kg weight vest/shorts for a month before he the season started. He wore it to class, in the car, playing basketball, going running, walking down the shops - everywhere (apart from in bed!). When he took it off he dunked for the first time, and it wasnt a "just about" dunk, he threw it down! Ive never tried this because I'm worried it could damage joints and stuff but its definitely interesting!
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: