Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
AJ2k8
Banned

Question How much do you guys take pride in/enjoy playing defense?

Just a thread for people to be honest about themselves about defense

For me I've always enjoyed a challenge on the defensive end and would always put my hand up to guard the best perimeter guy on the other team but with a lot of zone being played in our league i'd tend to get lazy and not put in 100%. However i've got to say that lately it's like a switch has been turned on and i'm really starting to take pride in my defense and am putting in much more effort. I still have some areas to improve on like hustling for defensive rebounds when we're undersized and sometimes i'm slow to get back when i've leaked out and they've picked up the offensive board but overall i'm just enjoying it more than i used to.

Discuss
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: How much do you guys take pride in/enjoy playing defense?

It always ebbs and flows with me. Clearly, to be an elite defender, one has to be in tremendous shape. So, truly, when mired in injuries and inactivity my defense is the first thing to take a hit and I hate that. It's a fight for me. Even in great offensive performances, if I played poor defense my night feels empty. And I always commit to locking down the next game, but there's often a disconnect between what I vow to do and what I actually do.

In truth, I just have to readjust to being a go-getter. I have to rediscover my man-to-man defensive pocket. Sometimes I overtry and squat too low in my stance or lock in too early and play my man too closely. 90% of it is mental with me.

When it's all working though, there's nothing better. Like you, I enjoy volunteering to take down the opposing team's top guy. Further, there is a direct correlation between the level of defense I play versus how many dunks I get. When I'm just playing "passable" defense, that is, playing straight up, allowing passes at will, funneling my guy into the help. . .it's almost a detriment to my game. However, when I'm playing frantic, it initiates turnovers, which initiates open floor opportunities which initiates dunks. It's a win-win when it's going right.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

I just need to say one thing
My coach says that in defense, our PG'S have to defend the other PG full court all game.
I think for the first time in my life i'm really commited to defense, i lack some defensive skills but i'm always pressure my players with my hands and with my wingspan.
I have a problem, i don't have a really strong body (i'm always the youngest on the court) so sometimes when my guys are trying to pass by me, they use their strenght to do that.
I don't have problems with defending PG's that like to post, i like to fight for position against them and because i have quick hands and big arms most of the times i steal the ball.
Oh and i guess i'm a better player defending of the ball, looking at my stats.

In the past i was horrible on defense, very very bad .. most of the guys pass by me and i just stay and wait for help defense.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

I love defense, especially when I play against the best players I can find. Offense doesn't even matter to me then, holding them to as close to 0 points as I can is all I want to do.

Alot of times I get scored on or crossed up or on the wrong end of a nice play, but that's to be expected when you play against great players. I also feel I'm a pretty good defender, although a little undersized, but I think over the course of a game I can slow down a skilled offensive player quite effectively.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
dkmwise
Local High School Star

Defense is my favorite, I love a good challenge. Most of the tough work is off the ball, just staying in the right position all the time. it's all about effort and being in good enough shape to never stop moving.

When I play with a certian group of friends one of them is a very good scorer and i'll challenge myself to just shut him down the whole game. It's just for fun, i'll contribute nothing on offenese that game but sometimes i'll keep him from scoring any points and thats a win for me. I won;t do this all the time, just sometimes to mess areound and get him mad.
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

considering my knee... I'm not a fan of defense at all right now. It takes a lot of energy (I have no stamina due to not playing) and it puts the most pressure on my knee. When I'm healthy, I like playing D when I have stamina, and I love crashing the boards. Right now tho... yea I'd rather guard someone who isn't a threat Last night I had to guard 2 guys who you have to play real tight because they are shooters and will let it fly... both can put it on the floor tho so they aren't easy to guard. The important thing is that they never pulled up for 3 with me on D... so many guys play off shooters and it's just dumb... they want to shoot. Make em at least go to plan B haha. I got blown by twice... but help D prevented 1 basket but the other he scored... oh well, that's 1 point and not 2... I'll take it
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #7
OMG its McLovin
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Defense is my favourite, because I'm the best at it. I love the feeling when you're blocking someone, especially if they make a good move. My defense style is hard to get past, when I'm playing with lazy defenders I can guard up to 3 people at the same time (as long as they're within 4 metres). My best block ever was the guard pump faked me, I fell for it but he tried to fade away and I smashed it over his head, and his whole team was shocked Best damn block EVER
OMG its McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

I take a lot of pride in my defense because I like the challenge of being able to stop the best guy on the other team. If the guy scores on me, then it's because he's just flat out better and not because I didn't play defense. There is no worse feeling than knowing that you slacked on D and that's why you lost the game.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
AJ2k8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG its McLovin
Defense is my favourite, because I'm the best at it. I love the feeling when you're blocking someone, especially if they make a good move. My defense style is hard to get past, when I'm playing with lazy defenders I can guard up to 3 people at the same time (as long as they're within 4 metres). My best block ever was the guard pump faked me, I fell for it but he tried to fade away and I smashed it over his head, and his whole team was shocked Best damn block EVER

I did something similar to that last night on some bloke, only a few minutes left and we were up by about 10 and i was closing out on some guy and jumped past him on his pump fake, he thought he could get the shot off before i recovered but i turned around and jumped from next to him, all ball
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
trig
Decent college freshman

in pickup ball, i focus more on offense, but in league play, i'm all defense. I usually just take care of the ball, set the offense, then let my teamates do the scoring while I focus on transition defense and in making the life of the other pg miserable. I'm more of a positional defender, trying to outsmart the opponent since I'm not that athletic.

in one our games few months ago, I got something like 5 charge calls in the 2nd quarter alone, and maybe 7 the whole game. I basically got the other teams 2 most important players into foul trouble lol they must be so pissed off. i felt like derek fisher
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #11
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

I only seriously play defence on 1v1s and 3v3s(I'm going to try my best on 5v5's but it seems that most games I'm playing now are 5v7, 6v8 and etc). I especially love 1v1's, because in 2v2's or something they're saying like "Dude can't defend at least try". Then I 1v1 them and when they try to penetrate, they only go as far as the free throw line and end up doing some shit they don't even practice(like a turn around one handed jumper lol. I put both of my hands up in the air to get ready to catch it so they have to lean and shoot in left or right extremely).
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #12
OMG its McLovin
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Just needed to add that my defense is absolutely phenomenal since the last two days
I broke my personal record with 7 blocks in a game, the day later I broke it again with 8 blocks

Not to mention the amount of steals I've gotten, 7 in the first game, 5 in the second.

Hope this keeps up, tryouts in a few days
OMG its McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
scm5
Good college starter

Last night I broke up a 3 on 1 fast break and a 2 on 1 fast break on consecutive possessions.

The only time I ever give up on defense is during pickup games and my team refuses to call screens. That stuff pisses me off. Felt like I got whiplash one time running into a big 250lbs dude.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #14
Underballer
Decent playground baller

i get steals so i can fast break dunk
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: