Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Ikill
i be killah swag

Ikill has decent reputation
Default If the 76ers get the number one pick who should they pick

Barnes Irving jones?
Ikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: If the 76ers get the number one pick who should they pick

Not sure. We'll have to see how the college season develops and what players emerge as stars. We could use a low post scorer that isn't old as hell since Speights has been dissapointing and Spencer Hawes is a bum. Sullinger from OSU could possibly be an appealing choice for us in the draft and Barnes could fit in well because of his shooting despite his 0-12 game tonight. It's too early to tell tho.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Consensus #1 pick in most mock drafts is Harrison Barnes, and consensus #2 is Perry Jones.

I guess if we land Barnes, there would be a roster shakeup to open mins for him.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If Sixers get #1 pick I'd use it as trade bait to aquire a big name player.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
If Sixers get #1 pick I'd use it as trade bait to aquire a big name player.

Who do you have in mind?
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
No.23
I airball my layups

No.23 has an OK reputation so far

Sixers need a big man. Kanter is best choice.
No.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
uksixersfan
Can barely lace up my sneakers

uksixersfan has an OK reputation so far

I thought playoff teams didnt get number one picks :) stay postive and hope we sneak a playoff spot
uksixersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
No.23
I airball my layups

No.23 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksixersfan
I thought playoff teams didnt get number one picks :) stay postive and hope we sneak a playoff spot
No.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

It won't happen but I'll discuss anyway...

Kyrie Irving is the best player in the draft. He's received comparisons to Chris Paul and they are spot on. It's a shame he got hurt because Duke was really rolling well. It's not every day you see a freshman come on to a defending national champion and not only start but instantly become their best player. If he does end up sitting out the rest of the year I don't see it affecting his draft position much. The injury is something with the ligaments in his right big toe and I can't see that being a lingering injury but I'm no doctor. But in that position would we draft a PG given we already have one who is emerging at the moment? Irving has the potential to be better than Holiday but would you take him knowing that you already have a player at the position, then let them find out who is better?

Barnes has lowered his stock to the point that I doubt he comes out. His stock was based on the media hype of putting him the #1 overall HS player and being a preseason All-American. He's really struggled to find his offense on a team with limited offensive options. In the game last night vs. VA Tech he actually took over the game offensively towards the end but you saw some really bad mistakes, like throwing it into the stands while leading a 3-on-2 break. He has the potential but he'd be better to learn with another season in college and getting mins than to ride an NBA bench.

Perry Jones is the one that really intrigues me. He's 6'10" with great perimeter skills. He's brought the ball up quite a few times this season and can dribble very well for a big man. He's in the Durant mold of a forward more than a back to the basket type of player. He's a bit raw and doesn't have the outside shooting touch that he'll need to play SF yet. He may end up suffering from Thaddeus Young syndrome, a guy with size who isn't strong enough to guard 4's and doesn't shoot it well enough to be a 3. His NBA potential will rely on his ability to improve his outside jumper.

Terrence Jones is Josh Smith 2.0. I've yet to find any part of their game that doesn't match up. From the athleticism and being left handed all the way down to the form on their jumpshot. I expect his stock to rise especially as tourney time rolls around. Caliparri has spit out a ton of NBA players the last few years: John Wall, Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Derrick Rose, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Joey Dorsey, Tyreke Evans, Daniel Orton...it's just another to the list. He falls into that "tweener" category between a 3 and 4 like Smith but without a doubt has the ball skills to play the 3.

Jared Sullinger from OH State won't be the #1 pick because of his lack of height and athleticism they like to see from a #1 pick. He's a back to the basket player who has moves with both hands. He's a terriffic rebounder. He's similar to an Elton Brand in terms of body type and skill but plays more with his back to the basket than the mid-range shooting Brand. Picture DeJuan Blair with a tone body and better post up game...that's Sullinger. He won't measure at 6'6" like Blair but short around 6'8".

If I was taking the #1 pick my pick would be Irving without a doubt. If I was picking for the Sixers and had to play it by position I would likely go with one fo the Joneses but I'm undecided on which one. I know very little about the international guys.

By the way, this is posterize.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #10
artificial

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

WTF with the screenname change?

Anyways, nice scouting reports as always man.

If Sixers get the #1 pick, maybe gobb's idea isn't that bad. Trade our assets for big names a la Boston getting Ray and Garnett. Of course, that's easier said than done but I'm getting tired of borderline playoff teams, and I don't see the Sixers ever becoming a contender with the current core. Might as well gamble.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
WTF with the screenname change?

Anyways, nice scouting reports as always man.

If Sixers get the #1 pick, maybe gobb's idea isn't that bad. Trade our assets for big names a la Boston getting Ray and Garnett. Of course, that's easier said than done but I'm getting tired of borderline playoff teams, and I don't see the Sixers ever becoming a contender with the current core. Might as well gamble.
Boston was pretty lucky by not getting the #1 pick. I remember seeing video leading up to the draft of Celtic fans in bars wearing Oden-Celtic jerseys. They get the #5 and trade it (Jeff Green) for Allen. What would that team look like now had they drafted Oden?

That's a tough one though. They already had their star player in Pierce and only got that high of a pick because he was hurt that year. Then they send their "young talent" to Minny for KG and you know what? I don't think there's a member of that trade still on the T'Wolves: Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, and Sebastian Telfair. They had 2 first round picks to send too, not including the one they had to trade for Ray Allen.

I guess what I'm saying is that stuff is such a rarity. There's no Paul Pierce type already on the team and that's the whole reason why Garnett accepted an extention with the team anyway. It's forgotten how reluctant he was at first.

Then there's the other side. A team like OKC who has built their team through the draft: Durant, Westbrook, Green, Harden, Ibaka...four of those are lotto picks and have put them at a 27-13 record so far this year.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
artificial

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Boston was pretty lucky by not getting the #1 pick. I remember seeing video leading up to the draft of Celtic fans in bars wearing Oden-Celtic jerseys. They get the #5 and trade it (Jeff Green) for Allen. What would that team look like now had they drafted Oden?

That's a tough one though. They already had their star player in Pierce and only got that high of a pick because he was hurt that year. Then they send their "young talent" to Minny for KG and you know what? I don't think there's a member of that trade still on the T'Wolves: Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, and Sebastian Telfair. They had 2 first round picks to send too, not including the one they had to trade for Ray Allen.

I guess what I'm saying is that stuff is such a rarity. There's no Paul Pierce type already on the team and that's the whole reason why Garnett accepted an extention with the team anyway. It's forgotten how reluctant he was at first.

Then there's the other side. A team like OKC who has built their team through the draft: Durant, Westbrook, Green, Harden, Ibaka...four of those are lotto picks and have put them at a 27-13 record so far this year.
I do remember all Celtics' hopes that year were focused on getting a top 2 pick. Actually I remember that when I saw the fans with green Oden jerseys kind of reminded me the lottery where SA ended up getting Duncan

And yes, I agree that a lot of that roster shakeup Celtics did had to do with luck, and something to do with assets we may not have. I can't think of similar roster shakeups that turned out failing, but I'm sure there are examples.

But about the other side you mention, right now I just don't see us getting young talent enough to build the core of a winning team (let alone contender). If the team was sucking the way it did at the beginning of the season, then maybe. But right now we are playing borderline playoff/lottery, which kills hopes of getting a high draft pick. I think I'd rather see some aggressive, risky trades, instead of staying in purgatory.

And while I was typing this, I remembered this thread was based on the (unlikely) hypothetical of getting the #1 pick...
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
JrueHoliday11
jrue it up

JrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

barnes isnt as good as we all intially thought
JrueHoliday11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Another name you don't see in the lottery in early mocks is Jordan Hamilton, though I expect that to change. He's the most complete scorer the Big12 has had since Beasley dominated it, except he's not a "tweener" and more of a true wing.

Not a position of need by any means but his value at his current slot would be worth the pick.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
JrueHoliday11
jrue it up

JrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Another name you don't see in the lottery in early mocks is Jordan Hamilton, though I expect that to change. He's the most complete scorer the Big12 has had since Beasley dominated it, except he's not a "tweener" and more of a true wing.

Not a position of need by any means but his value at his current slot would be worth the pick.
jordan hamilton is making noise in Texas, hes a solid pickup for any team
JrueHoliday11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: