Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
MannyO
High School JV MVP

Default Overcoming fatigue

So last day of tryouts is tomorrow and coach has cut it down to twenty people. Today a former player came and shared some knowledge with us and he told us to go hard at everything especially in the scrimmage. So I took his advice and I went hard and really started doing good. But then I started to become tired and we had to play full court man to man defense. How do you play through fatigue?
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Default Re: Overcoming fatigue

That's exactly it... you fight through it and do the best you can. Just show them that even though you are tired, you are going to give it your best effort until you pass out on the floor. Conditioning can always be worked on, hustle and heart are much harder to teach.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
MannyO
High School JV MVP

just feels like im bout to pass out. But i know if I was listening to music while tired and playing i will not feel tired but energized. And also I have to learn how to play freely like I used to when I was younger because I feel im putting limitations on my game. Tomorrow is the final day and I really want to play my very hardest and play my best.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Underballer
Decent playground baller

mental toughness baby
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Underballer
Decent playground baller

something i have that u dont
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
MannyO
High School JV MVP

Can you die from trying to play through fatigue? Some boy in my school died during a basketball workout because I think he pushed himself too hard.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
SourPatchKids
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
just feels like im bout to pass out. But i know if I was listening to music while tired and playing i will not feel tired but energized. And also I have to learn how to play freely like I used to when I was younger because I feel im putting limitations on my game. Tomorrow is the final day and I really want to play my very hardest and play my best.
Lol my tryouts aren't until after thanksgiving break but right now I'm listening to songs and getting hella pumped up.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Can you die from trying to play through fatigue? Some boy in my school died during a basketball workout because I think he pushed himself too hard.

I don't think he died because of that, most of the times sport guys die on the court because of specific diseases on heart.
Don't worry about that, just push it to the limit .. you'll see that your pain will get you a "victory".

Most of my coachs told me this "work hard on defense, never stop then when your team have the ball position you rest on offense".
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
JJ81
Good college starter

The more often you take that pain and fight through it, the easier it gets. Keep with it and eventually you'll be as fit as any of those other guys on the court.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

It's surely easier said than done, to push past what you believe to be your limits. The way I look at it, it's the only effective means of improving one's stamina.

For instance, if a person can only run for 10 seconds before their mind tells them they're very tired and they henceforth stop, they'll forever only be running for 10 seconds. To improve one's stamina, this person would have to run until that 10 second mark, where their mind says they're tired, then push past that point. Soon, this person will be able to run for 12 seconds before feeling that familiar tired feeling, then 14, 18, etc.

All that said, I know your pain, guy. It seems no matter how hard I push in the offseason, I'm always somehow pushing harder in tryouts, which leads to heavy fatigue. It's a funny balance. After I made the team though, I saw an almost immediate difference between running through sprint drills just to finish before time runs out, and finishing as fast and hard as possible. You'll thank yourself come game situations.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
scm5
Decent college freshman

You might already do this, but it was suggested to me that I should breathe through my nose as much as possible. It really helps and has cut down on my fatigue a lot. It also seems to keep me more calm, which could be an effect of less fatigue and more energy overall.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
SourPatchKids
Banned

So how was tryouts?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
MannyO
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
So how was tryouts?

it was great especially since today I had my best games. Even though I was tired I fought through it and played well. I created my own shots as well as set up my team. I rebounded the ball well, played great defense, got a few steals and made some nice passes. I had a few turnovers but they weren't lazy stupid turnovers. Well 2mm is the first practice its going to be tuff with alot of running but Im ready to kill this yr
Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
it was great especially since today I had my best games. Even though I was tired I fought through it and played well. I created my own shots as well as set up my team. I rebounded the ball well, played great defense, got a few steals and made some nice passes. I had a few turnovers but they weren't lazy stupid turnovers. Well 2mm is the first practice its going to be tuff with alot of running but Im ready to kill this yr

So you made the team? If so, congratulations.

Just remember to film every one of your games. It'll be useful for you to watch your performance from a 3rd person point of view and also you can make a highlight reel for college coaches.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
MannyO
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
So you made the team? If so, congratulations.

Just remember to film every one of your games. It'll be useful for you to watch your performance from a 3rd person point of view and also you can make a highlight reel for college coaches.

Yea feels good because I know I earned the spot in tryouts not just based on what I did in the offseason. Yea I gotta find someone to help video tape my games and also I gotta achieve the goals that I set for this season.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: