Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Isn't shooting very inefficient compared to driving

I read an article sometime back on how Josh Smith doesn't need to improve his shot because the more shots he would end up taking meant the lower his percentages would be. The argument was that no matter what, a shooter on average tends to have a lower FG% than a slasher.

Which had me thinking, what happens if one drives almost 100% of the time and uses the jump shot only as a last option? Obviously there would be some fouls which would mean missed shots, but none to the point where it was like shooting 40% (which is what an average NBA player shoots). Combine that with the aspect of fouls and in theory don't you have the ability to be an excellent scorer?
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Re: Isn't shooting very inefficient compared to driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I read an article sometime back on how Josh Smith doesn't need to improve his shot because the more shots he would end up taking meant the lower his percentages would be. The argument was that no matter what, a shooter on average tends to have a lower FG% than a slasher.

Which had me thinking, what happens if one drives almost 100% of the time and uses the jump shot only as a last option? Obviously there would be some fouls which would mean missed shots, but none to the point where it was like shooting 40% (which is what an average NBA player shoots). Combine that with the aspect of fouls and in theory don't you have the ability to be an excellent scorer?

well depends on your capable of. Some players are not real quick or don't have a great first step so driving to the basket will be more difficult. Throw in the fact that you have 7'ers waiting to inhale any layup/shot you make. Also there is the fatigue aspect, turnover prone, charges, potential injuries, and sometimes you cant just simply drive through the defense if there is no place like in a zone. Thats why people use the pull up shot.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah it was just a theory because clearly shooting is vital. But when you think about how 50% from shooting is considered good when a layup is usually 75%+ even with a contest you start to wonder which is the better option. Of course if you can't shoot then the defender would just back off and you'd pretty much lose your drive.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

it depends on how good a shooter you are. Smith isn't a great shooter... so yea i mean he should drive more especially considering he should almost always have a quickness advantage on other PF's. Pulling up keeps defenders honest too... they can't just play the drive. My pullup jumper is probably a higher percentage than a contested layup (or at least it can be at times... other times not) if I get a good look, so jumpers will always be a part of my game. Saves energy too lol.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

LT Ice Cream has decent reputationLT Ice Cream has decent reputation

lol because it's easy to defend when you know the offensive player is going to drive and only drive.
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
J21
Can barely lace up my sneakers

J21 has no real reputation yet.

being a good shooter isn't so much about actually getting your shots off, but about keeping the defense honest and stretching their defensive effort so others may drive. You can't have a whole team of slashers/back-to-basket players.
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by J21
being a good shooter isn't so much about actually getting your shots off, but about keeping the defense honest and stretching their defensive effort so others may drive. You can't have a whole team of slashers/back-to-basket players.
True. Against good competition, the reason I shoot such a high percentage in the paint is because I'm able to coerce my initial defender to play a little tighter on me outside the arc due to my shooting ability. The idea that I might shoot opens up the opportunity to get good looks inside.

If I find myself trying to drive to the basket everytime (if I haven't proven to my defender that I can shoot) things become a lot harder. The inside looks aren't as clean, the defender is more likely to be sitting on my moves, etc. An open three pointer is going to be a higher percentage shot for me than a double pump forced layup through contact in the paint. Now, if I got a clean look (or even a semi-clean look) every time I was in the paint, you could be on to something. But again, that's typically not how it works. One must take what the defensive provides.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah I agree with everyone that a shot is necessary for a good drive. It's just that sometimes I have off nights and I take it right to the basket. If I was playing in a game with foul shots, I think I could still put up points even with no outside shot. But of course I'd need my man to be guarding me and not backing off.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #9
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

It's nice to start out your scoring with a layup or something on the opposite of the side you usually go for. Then you start making shots from the free throw line and make floaters, and the opposing team thinks that you have a wide arsenal even though you just used like 3 moves only.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
JJ81
Good college starter

JJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this board

If all you ever do is drive, the opposition are gonna recognise that and stand off you more when you're being defended. As soon as you put the ball on the floor they could double you too. If you add a decent jumpshot to your game, the defenders have to you give more respect as you could do anything. This is how Trevor Ariza improved so rapidly. Look at someone like Kobe, he can pull up and shoot or he can drive it at you - you dont know how to defend him! If you come into the game, hit a couple of jumpshots, your defender is gonna get up on you and get in your face because he knows you can shoot. Then you can just go your speciality and blow past him!

Also, good zone defences prevent the drive to the basket, so you might have to run some plays and be able to catch and shoot.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It goes both ways really. You can't just drive all day without a jumper, since people will pack it in on you (as everyone's already pointed out), but at the same time, if all you do is shoot, you're never going to be an efficient scorer unless you're a catch and shoot guy.

If you're talking about creating your own stuff (which you seem to be), jumpshooting is by far the most inefficient way to score.

You don't have to be a deadly 3pt shooter or anything to help augment your driving game. Just be able to pull up for a nice 15-18 footer every now and then when people seem to be packing it in on you. And of course, also look for the open teammate if you're getting zoned. ^_^
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah, I'm taking about creating for yourself.

If I have an open shot in a game, I'll most likely take it unless I'm feeling really off, which in that case I'll take it right in.

But when I watch games at every level, HS to NBA, it seems players like to isolate and try to break their defender down before pulling up for a J, which to me seems like a bad idea.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If your team doesn't have a lot of scorers, or isn't doing well offensively, sometimes it falls to the "star scorers" of teams to have to hit shots like that. It's not a needed part of your game (and is considered to be a "ball hog" thing to do), but if you can actually shake someone to get open to take an open J, that's definitely better than jacking one up into the teeth of the defense.

You might get yelled at by your coach if you do that a lot and could get benched. A good friend of mine, Lawrence, was a great baller back in high school and got benched almost right away and eventually cut from the team for doing that despite the fact that he was easily the best scorer on the team. He was about 6'2", and seemed like he might have a career ahead of him, always crushed everyone at bbal, but never went anywhere. . . He was depressed after getting cut and just stopped trying.

All the best luck to you though man. Remember, the more stuff you can do, the more likely you'll find a role somewhere.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: