Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
scm5
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,955
scm5 has an OK reputation so far
Default Fouling in pickup games...

Was playing some pick up last night, some dude just wraps up another dude on a fast break. Dude that got wrapped up got pissed and started calling the other guy a ***** for wrapping him up on a fast break in a pick up game where no FT's are given. Him and his buddies start wrapping EVERYONE up that gets penetration or an offensive rebound near the rim. I was on his team.

At this point, I don't even wanna play anymore. They're not fouling hard, just bear hugging people over and over again. I tell em it's just a game and that I think they got their point across. We ended up not even finishing the game, no one really wanted to play anymore.

Pickup games just got a little less fun for me. Just wanted to share.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,444
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

I would only intentionally foul when it's game point and it's close (like 11-10 or something). I might just try to go for the ball tho too... I dunno depends on how intense the game is.

Otherwise yea... it's just a pickup game. I mean personally... I like to play as tho we are playing in an officiated game, and I wouldn't get away just hacking and bearhugging all game, so I don't do it in pickup games either. Might as well stay consistent.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

I don't do it and I've almost never played with anyone who has. But I can see how annoying it is, it's almost as cheap as trying to kick the ball on a pass. It's a no risk, good reward move for the defense.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Maga_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,427
Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

Guys saw Devin Harris doing that to Blake Griffin, now they think it's cool to do that
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 20,658
bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

You can't wrap a guy up in pickup ball. I've seen it lead to fights many times. You have to play defense and try not to foul, because there are no refs and no FT's. If it's game point you can give a hard foul, but you still can't wrap a guy up.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Maga_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,427
Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
You can't wrap a guy up in pickup ball. I've seen it lead to fights many times. You have to play defense and try not to foul, because there are no refs and no FT's. If it's game point you can give a hard foul, but you still can't wrap a guy up.

Yep true, it's something not-ethical in my opinion.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
scm5
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,955
scm5 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

Yeah, I thought it was a ***** move when it happened, but when my team started wrapping everyone up whenever they got an advantage, I thought it was a bit excessive. I'm sure the dude got the point after doing it once or twice.

I don't know... feeling meh about pick up games now because of this. Kinda cheapens the whole thing even more.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
Yeah, I thought it was a ***** move when it happened, but when my team started wrapping everyone up whenever they got an advantage, I thought it was a bit excessive. I'm sure the dude got the point after doing it once or twice.

I don't know... feeling meh about pick up games now because of this. Kinda cheapens the whole thing even more.

People do dumb stuff in pickup all the time. I remember I was playing 2 on 2 and I hit my teammate up with a good pass and he was just about to finish to win when his man pretty much held him down by the shoulders. They were going at it the whole game and at that point everything just went down... I'm all up for playing intense and stuff but there's a fine line between playing to win and playing to cause trouble.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 217
bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

haha when I read this title, it just makes me remember all the times I get fouled or my teammates. I ****ing even get tackled in midair and no one called it(I fell to the floor and got back up. I started walking to defense when the jerk tried to tackle me again. I fell onto my knee and turned around to see him on the floor holding his head. Pretty jack*** move to me lol).
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,155
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

There's a couple fouls I have an issue with in playground ball:

1) The Tackle/Wrap-up: I've experienced this most often against older men who acknowledge they will not be able to rise with me, so they wrap me up the second I slide inside the three point line. I'm happy to say I haven't been tackled too often, but the wrap up can get dangerous.

Two things usually happen in these cases. Either the fellow says something like, "Sorry bud, there's nothing I can do" or he just walks away with a grimace, as if his supposed "hard nosed" old school techniques are going to make me think twice about coming into the lane. In a way he's right, I am going to think twice. That is, the rest of the time I come down the paint, I'm rising up with my Karl Malone knee.

2) The Fast Break Push During Dunk Attempt: I find this move to be dangerous. Most often I'm not sure the defense understands how succeptable a player is once they've left the floor off of one foot on a fast break. Even the simplest nudge (see Amar'e Stoudemire on Andrew Bogut last year) can be enough to really rough someone up.

I've had one player perform this move maliciously and it resulted in a ruptured tendon and subsequent hand surgery after I was propelled over someone's shoulder.

3) The Undercut: Clearly no one likes to be undercut, particularly on concrete. Once again, most often this move seems to be borderline unintentional where defenders step over to challenge before realizing they have no chance and should instead stay grounded.

Other times, in one city in particular, these undercuts are a result of players attempting to take charges. I'm not sure about the unwritten rules of playground ball and how people get down across America, but I've never played playground ball with charges until I settled into an area near Ann Arbor. So clearly, I'm often taken by complete surprise and am often undercut when a player decides to stand beneath me rather than challenge.

The worst form of undercutting comes from players who have become frustrated with the game at hand and, knowing they are overmatched, collapse in the lane then turn their backs. It's the anti-tackle, but with similar results.

I have to say it's not as if I deal with these types of plays every day on the courts, but over time my unfortunate experiences have added up. More times than not, I have a positive playing experience.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 11-18-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
JJ81
Good college starter
 
JJ81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,276
JJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this board
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

Go and find some players who actually know how to play basketball and dont need to do that.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
cgr1zzly
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 23
cgr1zzly has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

wrapping someone up is fine, if its point game, and it was a really good game. ITs better than a hard foul, but you better make sure, you dont do it maliciously , and just do it in a way to stop him from winning.

Just say my bad , i had to. And more than likely theylll understand, i know i would.
cgr1zzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
Jordan23GOAT
Serious playground baller
 
Jordan23GOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CANADA!!!!
Posts: 372
Jordan23GOAT has decent reputation
Default Re: Fouling in pickup games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
There's a couple fouls I have an issue with in playground ball:

1) The Tackle/Wrap-up: I've experienced this most often against older men who acknowledge they will not be able to rise with me, so they wrap me up the second I slide inside the three point line. I'm happy to say I haven't been tackled too often, but the wrap up can get dangerous.

Two things usually happen in these cases. Either the fellow says something like, "Sorry bud, there's nothing I can do" or he just walks away with a grimace, as if his supposed "hard nosed" old school techniques are going to make me think twice about coming into the lane. In a way he's right, I am going to think twice. That is, the rest of the time I come down the paint, I'm rising up with my Karl Malone knee.

2) The Fast Break Push During Dunk Attempt: I find this move to be dangerous. Most often I'm not sure the defense understands how succeptable a player is once they've left the floor off of one foot on a fast break. Even the simplest nudge (see Amar'e Stoudemire on Andrew Bogut last year) can be enough to really rough someone up.

I've had one player perform this move maliciously and it resulted in a ruptured tendon and subsequent hand surgery after I was propelled over someone's shoulder.

3) The Undercut: Clearly no one likes to be undercut, particularly on concrete. Once again, most often this move seems to be borderline unintentional where defenders step over to challenge before realizing they have no chance and should instead stay grounded.

Other times, in one city in particular, these undercuts are a result of players attempting to take charges. I'm not sure about the unwritten rules of playground ball and how people get down across America, but I've never played playground ball with charges until I settled into an area near Ann Arbor. So clearly, I'm often taken by complete surprise and am often undercut when a player decides to stand beneath me rather than challenge.

The worst form of undercutting comes from players who have become frustrated with the game at hand and, knowing they are overmatched, collapse in the lane then turn their backs. It's the anti-tackle, but with similar results.

I have to say it's not as if I deal with these types of plays every day on the courts, but over time my unfortunate experiences have added up. More times than not, I have a positive playing experience.
I'm with this, we usually let certain fouls go, but if they're actually like HURTING the person, we inbound it from the end.
Jordan23GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy