Me and basketball
ok, so im new to posting here but I have been a lurker here for a couple of years now. Just recently started playing basketball again so I thought I would make a thread about my game (strengths, weaknesses etc), random basketball thoughts and the league games that I am playing in.
So here is some background information for you all, I am 21 years old from the United Kingdom. I played at national league level when i was 18 and 19 and played some ball for the city teams adults reserve squad. I have played recreationally on and off since but nothing too serious, worked out with the University team and train with them occasionally but never tried to make the team because quite frankly at the time I was pre-occupied with other things which on reflection, were not important at all.
I recently started playing for a team in a local district league which isn't the highest standard of basketball by any means but is a good chance for me to shake off the rust and get my confidence back. I joined the team a couple weeks ago and they have yet to win a game in the league and have a 0-3 record before I joined them. I trained with them and played my first game with them last week, I came off the bench at PG and I had 20 points and 4 assists but no rebounds/steals/blocks and we lost by 15 against the previous champions of the league.
After the game I had a think about my game and came up with the following conclusions:
- My midrange shot has not left me and was my most effective offensive weapon in the game
- I'm not very good at drawing fouls anymore and only got to the free throw line once
- I'm very out of shape and need to drop quite a lot of lbs
- My defense is about average, I dont gamble for steals much and am quite good at keeping people in front of me but not good at stopping jumpshooters anymore
- Rebounding is awful (mentally im just not there on the boards)
I would greatly appreciate any advice from others regarding things I can do to get better, probably should have mentioned before that i'm a 5ft11 guard and I weigh 217 lbs (which I know is way too much for someone my height in basketball). Looking forward to reading some replies