Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #16
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Default Re: Asante and Deion got beef! -primetime- where you at!

okay, I'm sorry, but what does Deion mean with "off" CB here?...like he plays "off" the line, he doesn't press the WR?

anyone?

is he basically saying a "zone" CB?...like Asante is the best in the zone? rather than man-to-man?
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #17
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
okay, I'm sorry, but what does Deion mean with "off" CB here?...like he plays "off" the line, he doesn't press the WR?

anyone?

is he basically saying a "zone" CB?...like Asante is the best in the zone? rather than man-to-man?
Yeah that's what he's saying. You can't really get the full view of how far off he plays either by watching TV. I remember the game I went to last year Sheldon Brown was right up on the guy and Asante was a good 5-7 yards off the line.

Asante's just talking, he does a lot of it. Back in training camp a Philly reporter wrote a small article about Asante not tackling and the next day when the reporter was on the sideline Asante was mouthing off to him loud as hell while he was doing drills. Shit was hilarious.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #18
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

there are some situations where a CB pretty much has to press...like strong blitzes and short yardage...

I can kinda see why Asante took that as an insult, he probably hates that he isn't good at pressing the WR...he probably doesn't like to think of himself as a poor in that area or a poor tackler...

speaking of Asante and tackling, he has made a couple hits this year...lmao at him getting a helmet to helmet fine...
Old 11-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #19
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
there are some situations where a CB pretty much has to press...like strong blitzes and short yardage...

I can kinda see why Asante took that as an insult, he probably hates that he isn't good at pressing the WR...he probably doesn't like to think of himself as a poor in that area or a poor tackler...

speaking of Asante and tackling, he has made a couple hits this year...lmao at him getting a helmet to helmet fine...
Supposedly he was originally fined 50k, then Reid made a call to the league office and got 10k knocked off. That's what Asante said but a team spokesperson said he "did not believe that was the case." Who knows.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #20
NoGunzJustSkillz

Damn Eagles are only playing on NFL TV next week?
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #21
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
Damn Eagles are only playing on NFL TV next week?
it'll be on Phi17
Old 11-25-2010, 01:49 AM   #22
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I find it way more interesting to never see a corner on the screen like Nmandi because you know he's shutting down that side of the field and the QB knows to not even waste his time looking over there.

Asanta is second tier. He makes big plays because he allows it. Cover corners don't allow plays. That is much more impressive and interesting to me.

Nah, Asante is first class.

He might get burned for a 25 yard gain or he might give up a crossing route in man coverage, but his ability to tip balls and make interceptions/create turnovers by baiting quarterbacks to throw the bal his way is a precious tool to have. Turnovers change the course of a game. You can recover from a 25 pass play given up if the next series you get a pick or tip a ball up or something like that.

Asante hasn't been giving up big plays this year either, so it's not a risk/reward with him so far - it's all reward.

1st class all the way.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:23 AM   #23
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:

anyone?

Has nothing to do with man or zone, per se, as you call play "off" or "press" no matter what defense is called.

What is meant by "off" is that the CB will take an alignment of 5 to 7 yards off the WR. It is NOT abnormal to see, nor is it a weakness. Some defensive coordinators actually prefer to have this guys off majority of the time. "Press" means the CB will be right on the line of scrimmage. When watching a game or reading a recap it may be referred to as an alignment or technique.

Some CB's get the freedom to play however they please. Still, many times the technique played will be dictated by down & distance, field position, and opponent tendencies.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:26 AM   #24
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Has nothing to do with man or zone, per se, as you call play "off" or "press" no matter what defense is called.

What is meant by "off" is that the CB will take an alignment of 5 to 7 yards off the WR. It is NOT abnormal to see, nor is it a weakness. Some defensive coordinators actually prefer to have this guys off majority of the time. "Press" means the CB will be right on the line of scrimmage. When watching a game or reading a recap it may be referred to as an alignment or technique.

Some CB's get the freedom to play however they please. Still, many times the technique played will be dictated by down & distance, field position, and opponent tendencies.
thanks coach...

pressing is getting physical at the line with the WR to disrupt the timing of the play...giving cussion is for longer downs

Asante is still a zoner by nature I think though, that is where his strength lies...

I had just never heard the term "off CB"...google it you get nothing also...

If Asante has issues pressing I would say that is certainly a weakness...
Old 11-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #25
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

http://www.extremesportclips.com/vid...sus-Rison.html

^^^ Deion playing "ON"...
Old 11-25-2010, 04:52 AM   #26
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

Quote:
If only UFC was around during Deion's playing career.
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:01 AM   #27
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeittothehoop
If only UFC was around during Deion's playing career.

what that video doesn't show, is that right after that play...THE VERY NEXT PLAY...they threw to Rison and Deion picked it off and went for a TD...the whole 49er defense dancing in the endzone...

man, I don't know if it is just cause I was young then, but it just really feels like the 90s were the peak years of the NFL...so many classic moments, for so many teams...I don't think the NFL will ever be as great as it was in the 90s...

90s NFL >>>> any other time in NFL history
Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #28
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Nah, Asante is first class.

He might get burned for a 25 yard gain or he might give up a crossing route in man coverage, but his ability to tip balls and make interceptions/create turnovers by baiting quarterbacks to throw the bal his way is a precious tool to have. Turnovers change the course of a game. You can recover from a 25 pass play given up if the next series you get a pick or tip a ball up or something like that.

Asante hasn't been giving up big plays this year either, so it's not a risk/reward with him so far - it's all reward.

1st class all the way.

Nah, not to me. First class to me are the guys who take away an entire side of the field for an entire game. Not a guy who "occasionally" gives up 25 yard plays. How can you say that's first class when there's guys out there that never give up plays of that magnitude? Or have historically never given up plays like that? If Asante is elite, then there needs to be a higher, ultra class in which he should never, ever be included.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #29
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Asante gives the cushion to give the illusion that the receiver is open for something such as a slant or a curl route. Then he's able to watch the quarterback for a longer period of time instead of his man and know when he's going to throw it and jump the route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7TNibDHa-Y

Look at :28 seconds. He's a good 8 yards off the line of scrimmage to begin the play. As soon as the receiver makes his move Eli hits him with the pass but Asante has already jumped the route. Now it hurts them when he jumps the route and doesn't get there, but I've learned that if the receiver catches the ball Asante isn't going to be the one to bring him down anyway.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Nah, not to me. First class to me are the guys who take away an entire side of the field for an entire game. Not a guy who "occasionally" gives up 25 yard plays. How can you say that's first class when there's guys out there that never give up plays of that magnitude? Or have historically never given up plays like that? If Asante is elite, then there needs to be a higher, ultra class in which he should never, ever be included.
Yea but asante MAKES PLAYS.

It really is a matter of preference on whether you'd like to have a perfect one on one guy who can shut down a reciever, but only one reciever, or a ball hawk who can scare a QB from throwing it to their zone of play. Asante makes game chaning plays. His pick in the philly game last week set the tempo for a win and gave the eagles all the momentum. That's something that's underappreciated in the league today.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: