Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 11-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
gin17
High School JV MVP

gin17 has an OK reputation so far
Default Big Trade

evans+millsap for carmelo. who wins?
gin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
sportin_life
Gotta love West LA

sportin_life has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Big Trade

This is a tough one. I would stick with Melo probably mainly because it's hard to say if Milsap will keep up the pace the rest of the season, especially once Okur comes back from injury.

Right now Melo ~ Milsap, but I like Melo more through the course of the season. For Turner, he's overrated for fantasy, especially now that he will likely end up back on the bench with Iggy back. Even as a starter, Turner's stats aren't that great unless you are in a really deep league.
sportin_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

benJAMin has decent reputationbenJAMin has decent reputation

This is a case where its better to give more info, like which side you're getting, and who you have to drop/who you could add from waivers. You could easily make a case for either side, so telling us more about the situation (league size, scoring, format) makes it easier to analyze whether its a good move for you or not.
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportin_life
This is a tough one. I would stick with Melo probably mainly because it's hard to say if Milsap will keep up the pace the rest of the season, especially once Okur comes back from injury.

Right now Melo ~ Milsap, but I like Melo more through the course of the season. For Turner, he's overrated for fantasy, especially now that he will likely end up back on the bench with Iggy back. Even as a starter, Turner's stats aren't that great unless you are in a really deep league.

You're confusing threads.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin17
evans+millsap for carmelo. who wins?

Which evans are we talking about?...If it's Tyreke, I say the Evans/Millsap side wins.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
sportin_life
Gotta love West LA

sportin_life has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
You're confusing threads.

Actually I somehow read that as Evans = Evan Turner, since I'm used to people calling Tyreke Evans by his first name.

Hm, if its Tyreke/Milsap for Melo, then I would probably lean more in favor of the Tyreke/Milsap side. So far, Milsap has been solid but Melo is more proven. If you throw Tyreke in, I would take that combo.

This partly depends on the size of the league and what is on waivers, because Tyreke hasn't been playing up to expectations (for fantasy) this year.
sportin_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
gin17
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by benJAMin
This is a case where its better to give more info, like which side you're getting, and who you have to drop/who you could add from waivers. You could easily make a case for either side, so telling us more about the situation (league size, scoring, format) makes it easier to analyze whether its a good move for you or not.
the league is ROTO. 11 teams, standard CATS. I'm the one getting Melo.

My team:
1. (8) Deron Williams (Uta - PG)
2. (15) Rajon Rondo (Bos - PG)
3. (30) Tyreke Evans (Sac - PG,SG)
4. (37) Derrick Rose (Chi - PG)
5. (52) Paul Millsap (Uta - PF)
6. (59) Jeff Green (OKC - SF,PF)
7. (74) Luis Scola (Hou - PF,C)
8. (81) Elton Brand (Phi - PF,C)
9. (96) Tony Parker (SA - PG)
10. (103) Andrew Bynum (LAL - C)
11. (118) Dorell Wright (GS - SG,SF)
12. (125) Serge Ibaka (OKC - PF,C)
13. (140) Tyson Chandler (Dal - C)

My team has a lot of guards, so that's why I'm considering this trade.

FA has B.Davis, T.Gibson, Jefferson, Delfino, Rush, etc
Old 11-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

So the trade becomes Millsap and Tyreke for Melo and Ibaka, who would move into your starting lineup from the bench (if he wasnt there already, I dont know what your starting lineup was before). I've been back and forth with whether this is a good move for you so I'll give you both sides of my thought process:

Ibaka has played incredibly well so far and has potential for even more statistical output and mins down the road, whereas Millsap should remain about the same or possibly lose some numbers slightly with Okur's return. You could dare to say that they'll have just about equal value down the road, with a slight edge given to Millsap for consistency. Melo is an upgrade over Tyreke, so I'm going to say the trade itself favors you, albeit slightly. If nothing else, it gives you some much needed depth at SF.

The biggest downside I see to this deal is you're losing a SG, which hurts your lineup significantly if Dorell can't be consistent on your roster. What this also means is that you have to add another player from your bench because of the trade (both Ibaka and Dorell have to step in because you have no other SG). This also means that your FA add becomes really important, as he'll probably have to join your starting lineup immediately, plus you have to deal with Rondo hurt, and given that Tyson has been a roller coaster of ups and downs, and Bynum isnt due back for another two weeks, this seriously hinders the overall quality and strength of your team.

Starting lineup becomes:
Deron
Wright
Rondo
Melo
Scola
Green
Brand
Ibaka
Parker
Rose
-----
Bynum
Chandler
FA add (Baron/Rush)

That team has serious 3ptm and TO issues, and would be weak in ft% overall, but you should compete well in other cats. Adding Bynum to your lineup in place of Parker would be something to consider in a month or so. But given how much you have to draw from your bench to make this deal work, I'm gonna say no on it, even if I think you win the deal outright. I'd rather see you move one PG for someone you need (offer Parker for SJax, or Rose for Gallo/Manu) and shore up your threes and ft% that way rather than a major overhaul like this trade would do.

A quick strategy to consider if you DO decide to make the deal: the other owner obviously has to drop someone before the deal can go through, so tell him the deal is contingent on him dropping his unwanted player and adding a FA of your choice (let's say Baron) to his roster and including that player in the deal. I suggest this only because I've done 2for1s in the past with the intention of adding a hot FA, only to watch other managers swoop in and steal him in the "pending trade" process, leaving me with a less-better deal than I had initially wanted. Adding that FA to the deal gets you what you want now. So the trade becomes Millsap and Tyreke for Melo and Baron (or whoever you want from the FA pool). I think you win that deal on upside alone before you even factor in that Ibaka joins your starting lineup. If Baron comes back strong, you've added another solid PG for free and can look to move another one to shore up other cats you need. If Baron is a bust, oh well, you got him for free. Baron might not be the best move though, because you need immediate help, so maybe you add Rush instead, but I like the gamble on Baron because of the potential down the road.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
gin17
High School JV MVP

oh yeah, i just realized that i only had 2 SGs. thanks for the input. i would gladly rep you if i could.

I think i should look for a better trade.

Last edited by gin17 : 11-25-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
gin17
High School JV MVP

my trade for tony parker for sjax got through. probably that's a better deal for me
Old 11-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin17
my trade for tony parker for sjax got through. probably that's a better deal for me

That's a much better deal for you.
Starting lineup becomes:
Deron
Tyreke
Rondo
Millsap
Scola
Green
Brand
Ibaka
SJax
Rose
-----
Bynum
Chandler
Wright

That's a very impressive lineup for an 11 team league, considering Wright would start on any other team, Chandler has been very efficient, and Bynum will eventually crack your starting lineup.

Biggest problem going forward is you'll have to pick your poison as to what cats will hurt you with this lineup, or you'll have to rotate guys through positions to create some balance. For example, if you use the lineup in this response, you're significantly hurting in threes and ft%. If you remove Ibaka and play Dorell instead, you're hurting in blocks and your fg% and boards take a significant hit. No matter what you do, you're going to be terrible in TOs (that's probably one of the most turnover-prone teams I've ever seen), but that's what happens when you're loaded with stars.

Considering you've got plenty of help on your bench, how about making a superstar 2for1 that will help you get Wright/Bynum into your lineup more easily? Try offering Rose+Brand for LeBron or Durant. Or see if someone will take Amare for Rose straight up. Adding SJax helps with assists, so Rose should be a moving part for you. Let's say you can get LeBron:
Deron
Tyreke
Rondo
LeBron
Millsap
Green
Scola
Ibaka
SJax
Wright
-----
Chandler
Bynum
FA add (Rush/Baron)

That teams becomes great in everything except ft% and TOs., and if Bynum begins to outplay Ibaka then you sub him in. That would be an absolutely sick team, and I think its within reach considering your lineup.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: