Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #31
BRabbiT

Default Re: Derek Jeter's contract up - Yankees suddenly fiscally responsible - Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
And he hasn't been a good defensive SS since 2003.

I bet if you listened to Yankees' games "Past a diving Jeter!" would be one of their most common phrases.

repped
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #32
SinJackal
Banned

Default Re: Derek Jeter's contract up - Yankees suddenly fiscally responsible - Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
All I'm seeing is:

1. Jeter is old and washed up.

2. The Yankees are offering him a shitload more than he's worth, and tons more than any other team would give him.

3. Somehow this is viewed as disrespectful to the face of the franchise because they're offering him 3x what he's worth instead of 4x.

This.

Jeter was a joke last year. .270, 10 jacks, 18 steals, and 3rd lowest RBI for his career. And he was hitting at the top of the most potent lineup in the entire sport. . .arguably one of the best 3-5 lineups baseball has seen in the last 20-30 years. And that's all he did. lol? The only good stat he put up was runs and that's only because of all the All-Star studs hitting behind him.

Not only that, but let's not even talk about his now average defense and declining throwing strength and speed.

Dude's clearly on the decline and it's only going to get worse. He was never worth what he was paid at any point in his career, and now he wants more money than Albert Pujols is getting?

I have no sympathy for this guy. The Yankees should offer him less money after Jeter gets his reality check that he won't get anywhere remotely close to that somewhere else. They should change their offer to 3 years 30m, just to prove a point.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #33
sixerfan82
College star

Is this going to become a new thing now? If you stay with a team your entire career they 'owe' you a loyalty check or something along those lines?

Seems kinda presumptuous if you ask me.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:10 AM   #34
JustinJDW

I thought 15 million for three years sounded pretty damn resonable to me. I mean, the guy has already been paid 200 million for his past services, and he still makes a shitload of more money from products, commericals, etc, so what more does the guy want?

I can understand where you are coming from though. The Yankees can pay Jeter every single cent A-Rod is making and they will be fine. I'm also wondering why they choose Jeter, the face of their franchise from this decade, to suddenly play hard ball.

I think they should give Jeter 16 million for four years, and call it a day. That's more than fair. If he turns that down then he can go **** himself.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #35
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
But sources close to the Jeter/Close camp have said their starting point was six years, $150 million and that they aren't budging on $25 million per year

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...xzz16OY qVMz9

Jeter's INSANE if he thinks he's worth $25M per year.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #36
AKADS
National High School Star

Quote:
Jeter's INSANE if he thinks he's worth $25M per year.

Quote:
Turkey Day has come and gone and the New York and the New York Yankees and Derek Jeter continue to play a game of chicken.

The two sides remain far apart this holiday weekend and Bill Madden of the Daily News reports the divide can be pegged to the inflated deal of teammate Alex Rodriguez.

Sources close to the Jeter camp tell Madden that their starting point was six years, $150 million and that they aren't budging on $25 million per year. That would effectively get Jeter about even in annual average salary to A-Rod, who is in the middle of a 10-year deal worth $27.5 million.

GM Brian Cashman clearly has grown frustrated with the process, suggesting that if the 36-year-old shortstop thinks otherwise, he should shop himself around to find out.

"We understand his contributions to the franchise and our offer has taken them into account," Cashman told Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com. "We've encouraged him to test the market and see if there's something he would prefer other than this. If he can, fine. That's the way it works."

The Yankees have reportedly offered Jeter a three-year deal for $45 million.

The Yankees are essentially telling Jeter, who is coming off the worst season of his career, that he will get nothing close to what the Yankees are offering should he test the open market. As Matthews points out, the Yankees allowed Babe Ruth to go elsewhere, so why not Jeter?

George King of the New York Post writes Jeter has a steep mountain to climb if he wants to better the Yankees' offer of three years for $45 million.

I would understand if he wanted a 4th yr but 25 Mil a yr for a 36 yr old short stop.

The Yankee brand will live if Derek leaves. Dereks brand will take a bigger dip if he leaves. They also already have a SS in the minors i believe ready to come up. If Derek doesn't take the deal the Yankees will just go and sign Crawford instead and if there new SS can play better D the Yankees come out ahead.
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #37
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

What did NYY offer and what is Jeter asking for?

And as far as Jeter being jealous of Arod? How so? Jeter has success on his side. He's made millions dispite not being this run producing phenom. And he has never been involved in any scandal or drama off the field. In fact most athlete should take note of being a bachelor who enjoys dating as opposed to tying the knot, cheating, giving up half and moving on to the next wife.

What does Arod have that Jeter doesnt? Arod came to the Bankees to get what Jeter had.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #38
jaydacris
BTE One Hit Wonder

jeter gets to f*ck minka kelly every night
he wins
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #39
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
What did NYY offer and what is Jeter asking for?

NYY Offered 4/45M, reportedly. Jeter, reportedly, wants 6/150M (!!!!!)
Old 11-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #40
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:

3y for 45m, not 4.

Jeter is apparently out of his ****ing mind.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #41
bladefd
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
jeter gets to f*ck minka kelly every night
he wins

hm, I don't think Minka Kelly is as hot as people make her out to be. Definitely not as hot as some of the other girls Jeter has dated over the year (she may not even be in the top 10 hottest girls that Jeter has slept with ). She will not age too well, guaranteed. But it is not all about the looks I guess. Perhaps Minka Kelly is more wife-material than other ladies Jeter has slept with over the year.

BTW - Jeter is not getting anything close to that from ANY team. He has to be out of his mind to even be thinking of getting ANYTHING CLOSE to what he is asking. Holy sh!t, the Yankees should let Jeter WALK if he wants to be such a scumbag. Typical average American, not happy with anything money-wise. I have seen people complain about money nonstop and be upset that they don't get a raise while making $50,000+ a year. Hell, I am sure there are many Americans out there complaining about money/taxes/etc while they make $150,000-200,000+ a year. This country is all about money nowadays, frustrates the hell out of me... Maybe some of them should go out there and see what people make in other countries and how they live.. The issue is that people in America think they deserve a certain amount but don't think about EARNING that. Athletes are no different at all.

Last edited by bladefd : 11-26-2010 at 02:12 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #42
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:

I thought the MLB tested players for drugs? Not Jeter? Geeze.

Jeter deserves a 4yr deal. By 40 he should be on his way out of baseball. I say about $65-70mil max is what I'd offer him. I'm giving Jeter the benefit of the doubt in saying he didnt demand 6yrs $150mil. Just a rumored report.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #43
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
3y for 45m, not 4.

Jeter is apparently out of his ****ing mind.

Ah, you are correct, sir.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #44
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...s_demands.html

Apparently Jeter is not asking for $25 million per year. He is merely asking for $22-$24 million per year. Much more sensible

If I were Cashman, I would pull the $45 million deal off the table, let him go on the market, see what is offered to him, then bid against that.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #45
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...s_demands.html

Apparently Jeter is not asking for $25 million per year. He is merely asking for $22-$24 million per year. Much more sensible

If I were Cashman, I would pull the $45 million deal off the table, let him go on the market, see what is offered to him, then bid against that.
I know legacy plays a big part of it, but at this point you don't pay $20+M for past services. Even 15M is outlandish and much more than he's worth.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: