Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #46
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Derek Jeter's contract up - Yankees suddenly fiscally responsible - Why?

25 million a yr, lol. The Yankees are doing the right thing, let him go out there, let him see he won't get close to 15 mil from other teams and then hopefully he'll come back to earth.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #47
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Derek Jeter's contract up - Yankees suddenly fiscally responsible - Why?

Cocaine is a helluva drug. Hank has made it clear that the days of The Yankees negotiating with themselves are over. Using Jeter to get that point across is actually brilliant. Agents have been put on notice. The trickle down effect could be good for baseball.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #48
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=5884052

It appears to be over. This is whaty I saw happening. This is what I suggested happen. Both sides should be happy. Derek Jeter needs to end his career as a Bankee. I dont want to see him in another uniform.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #49
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=5884052

It appears to be over. This is whaty I saw happening. This is what I suggested happen. Both sides should be happy. Derek Jeter needs to end his career as a Bankee. I dont want to see him in another uniform.

I am not happy.

If I were the Yankees I would have said to him "We will give you 3/$45 million this week. Next week the offer will be 3/$42 million. The week after the offer will be 3/$39 million. After that, 3/$36 million.

"Let me know when you are ready to sign."
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #50
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Take it for what it's worth, but I remember reading that no starting shortstop 37 or older has ever won a World Series.

I can't believe he's gonna be that old. Where does the time go?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #51
Sarcastic

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Take it for what it's worth, but I remember reading that no starting shortstop 37 or older has ever won a World Series.

I don't think he is playing SS for all 3 years. This will probably be his last one.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #52
Sarcastic

In related news, Mariano Rivera was offered more money and more years to play elsewhere but he turned it down to stay with the Yankees. He could have easily asked the Yankees to match the offer. Derek Jeter on the other hand held out like a little greedy ***** for more money even though no one would offer him even half of what was on the table.

Mariano is a truly a classy player. Jeter is not.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #53
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
I don't think he is playing SS for all 3 years. This will probably be his last one.

You think? I'm not sure where they would move him to. Maybe 3rd and make A Rod the DH? Dunno.

Plus, his whole identity is tied into being a SS, with his ego possibly getting in the way of a future position change.

The only shortstops I can think of that played that position past the age of 36 are the little guys (Ozzie Smith, Omar Vizquel, etc). He's entering into rarefied territory.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #54
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I am not happy.

If I were the Yankees I would have said to him "We will give you 3/$45 million this week. Next week the offer will be 3/$42 million. The week after the offer will be 3/$39 million. After that, 3/$36 million.

"Let me know when you are ready to sign."
Even $12M a year is outlandish for a 37 year old shortstop coming off one of the worst seasons of his career.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #55
Sarcastic

Quote:
You think? I'm not sure where they would move him to. Maybe 3rd and make A Rod the DH? Dunno.

Plus, his whole identity is tied into being a SS, with his ego possibly getting in the way of a future position change.

The only shortstops I can think of that played that position past the age of 36 are the little guys (Ozzie Smith, Omar Vizquel, etc). He's entering into rarefied territory.

Yea I think ARod will go to DH eventually and Jeter to third.

2011 will be Posada and Montero at catcher, with Posada also playing lots of DH.
ARod will DH when Posada catches, and Nunez will play third.

2012 Posada will be gone; ARod takes over DH entirely, and Jeter moves to 3rd.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #56
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

What are you ESPN with your random facts? That doesn't mean shit. Jeter is one of a kind as well, he's the GOAT ss.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #57
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jeter isnt even the top 3 SS of all time let alone GOAT.

Quote:
In related news, Mariano Rivera was offered more money and more years to play elsewhere but he turned it down to stay with the Yankees. He could have easily asked the Yankees to match the offer. Derek Jeter on the other hand held out like a little greedy ***** for more money even though no one would offer him even half of what was on the table.

Mariano is a truly a classy player. Jeter is not.

Damn we forget what Jeter has done for the Bankees? Come on. Why not acknowledge Jeter may have overpriced, overvalued himself but know he is a sports athlete who has been among the best players in the game. So swallowing pride isnt easy for most athletes in general. What else has Jeter done for him to not be considered classy again?

I am not arguing Jeter is worth it. But the Bankees are among teams who can pay him this money and not feel any sort of effects. They can still target whomever they want regardless of this deal. I could see if it stopped them from pursuing another player.

Last edited by GOBB : 12-04-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #58
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
What are you ESPN with your random facts? That doesn't mean shit. Jeter is one of a kind as well, he's the GOAT ss.

Hey asshole, I said "take it for what it's worth."

Have fun watching him bat .270 and struggle out in the field.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #59
Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Jeter isnt even the top 3 SS of all time let alone GOAT.

Damn we forget what Jeter has done for the Bankees? Come on. Why not acknowledge Jeter may have overpriced, overvalued himself but know he is a sports athlete who has been among the best players in the game. So swallowing pride isnt easy for most athletes in general. What else has Jeter done for him to not be considered classy again?

I am not arguing Jeter is worth it. But the Bankees are among teams who can pay him this money and not feel any sort of effects. They can still target whomever they want regardless of this deal. I could see if it stopped them from pursuing another player.

I was never a Jeter homer. I always thought he was overrated. When we got ARod, the correct thing for him to do would have been to move to 3rd and let ARod play short. Instead his ego got in the way and we ended up with our best SS playing third for the past 6 years. Now this whole thing happens, and he holds out because he is mad ARod got a big contract, and he wants one too.

The Yankees paid him well for his past 10 years, and don't owe him anything. The Yankee tradition is fine without him. He needs the Yankees more than the Yankees need him.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #60
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
I was never a Jeter homer. I always thought he was overrated. When we got ARod, the correct thing for him to do would have been to move to 3rd and let ARod play short. Instead his ego got in the way and we ended up with our best SS playing third for the past 6 years. Now this whole thing happens, and he holds out because he is mad ARod got a big contract, and he wants one too.

The Yankees paid him well for his past 10 years, and don't owe him anything. The Yankee tradition is fine without him. He needs the Yankees more than the Yankees need him.

Damn
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: