Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

Default concentration & short term memory

I find this is a big problem with my game. I don't know how to concentrate especially on the game. Today I missed a wide open layup because I. Got nervous and did not concentrate. And the rest of the game it started buggin me. I don't know why but I cannot get rid of the fact that I made a mistake. How can I concentrate and have short term memory in games?
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Venom
Serious playground baller

Default Re: concentration & short term memory

There are some things that you have to focus on more than others. Finishing a layup should be second nature to you. If you concentrate on every little aspect such as your footwork, distancing, form, etc, you're bound to miss.

If you miss, it's no big deal. Move on and use that as motivation to make a big defensive stop.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
There are some things that you have to focus on more than others. Finishing a layup should be second nature to you. If you concentrate on every little aspect such as your footwork, distancing, form, etc, you're bound to miss.

If you miss, it's no big deal. Move on and use that as motivation to make a big defensive stop.

it should be, but in the game i guess I got nervous seeing that I was so wide open and I put too much power on it. Thats the worst then the crowd reacts and it is stuck in your head. Don't get me wrong I got a defensive stop and made a good pass for a wide open layup just one missed layup stays in my head. It just felt as though the whole time I was worrying and not focusing on the game.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Venom
Serious playground baller

Then just don't think about it. Worry about hustling back on defense.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
J21
Can barely lace up my sneakers

don't wanna be mean but sounds like you got quite a lot of issues, son
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by J21
don't wanna be mean but sounds like you got quite a lot of issues, son

Everytime I see something wrong with my game I try improve on it and get advise, just how I approach it.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
J21

the problem you are describing has no answer. you have to just get your head in the game and enjoy yourself
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by J21
the problem you are describing has no answer. you have to just get your head in the game and enjoy yourself

isnt there techniques or routines that players use to focus in on the game. I think they said something about kobe using some technique. But yea I need to do something about this it is becoming a big problem I am not supposed to be getting nervous or distracting DURING games.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

the only technique kobe uses is he practices..However, to not be an a**, Kobe just talks to himself before a game telling himself "I'm good" or "I worked hard i can beat these guys easily". It's a sort of pep talk. No secret techniques.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Focus on making every easy shot and this won't be an issue. Build your confidence within the game, and it will carry over to the next game. Most people miss easy shots and try to redeem themselves defensively, if that is an issue with you focus at the source and don't miss easy shots.

Edit: If you get nervous in game situations run drills before hand till making lay ups becomes second nature.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

I hate missing any kind of shot, easy or hard but I don't let a miss bother me. I know I'm not going to make every shot, but I always shoot it expecting it to go in. If I miss a string of shots, I feel the next one I shoot has to be the one to go in.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:06 AM   #12
623baller
dedicate

im guessing:

lack of practice or lack of in-game experience

or perhaps both

it does happen but it should be very rare for any experienced player to miss a wide open lay up

if you are still getting jitters or losing focus on the court, and bashing yourself for making mistakes then you need to play more reffed games, only way to overcome it is to live it.

also if you already made a mistake why spend the time moaning about it, play good defense and get the ball back.

it's good to think back on what you did poorly and try to improve but don't stress over it , turn the negatives into positive drivers. instead of sitting and thinking, go out and do lay up drills
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
Everytime I see something wrong with my game I try improve on it and get advise, just how I approach it.

Hey I think it's great. A lot of people don't have balls to say that they get nervous or worried in a game cus it's not cool. I guarantee you everyone here has been nervous and made a bonehead play because of it. Keep asking... one of these times someone might give you the just right advice for you. We all respond to different things.

Just try to play your game as best you can... don't think out there on the floor. Don't allow yourself to think. The extent of your thinking should be reading the play and reacting. Leave the thinking for practice and let the improvements come to you in games. When playing pickup or meaningless games, that's the place to try some new things and also hone the skills you need to bring for your team.

Just hustle your ass off tho... be one of those guys who always gets the loose ball. If you are that guy, you can know that are helping your team simply with your energy... there is no way you can hurt your team because your hustle changes games. That missed layup is made up for saving your team a possession that ends up in a bucket.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #14
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Hey I think it's great. A lot of people don't have balls to say that they get nervous or worried in a game cus it's not cool. I guarantee you everyone here has been nervous and made a bonehead play because of it. Keep asking... one of these times someone might give you the just right advice for you. We all respond to different things.

Just try to play your game as best you can... don't think out there on the floor. Don't allow yourself to think. The extent of your thinking should be reading the play and reacting. Leave the thinking for practice and let the improvements come to you in games. When playing pickup or meaningless games, that's the place to try some new things and also hone the skills you need to bring for your team.

Just hustle your ass off tho... be one of those guys who always gets the loose ball. If you are that guy, you can know that are helping your team simply with your energy... there is no way you can hurt your team because your hustle changes games. That missed layup is made up for saving your team a possession that ends up in a bucket.

Yea. I need to be focused 100% during games because I admit I haven't had a lot of in game experience where there is a big crowd watching you play. I guess that's why I get so nervous. I my conenctraion gets thrown off because I focus on the wrong things at times which I have to change
Old 12-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #15
jerzymade

just talk to the best player on your team and find out how he looks at things. It's no point making threads about stuff like this when you have good sources around you. you probably don't like what i just said but it's the truth and will make a bigger difference coming from somebody you see then a guy on the computer who can make anything up.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: