Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
jstern
Great college starter

jstern has decent reputationjstern has decent reputation
Default NBA Players Average Weight And Size Since 1985

From 1984 to 2007

http://www.nba.com/news/survey_2007.html

I think this is a very interesting chart, for those who like to compare eras. I looked it up because someone was comparing human genetics to technology, like ipods vs walkman, etc.

Basically today's players are 6 pounds heavier, and just a tad bit shorter. Which to me kind of explains why I haven't seen pretty much any free trow line dunks since the last century. The average weight has been virtually the same since 1993-94. It seems players started lifting more weight 2 years earlier. I wonder what was happening in the league around that time for players feeling that they should add more weight, even though it's just a few pounds.

Edit: The average weight hasn't been exactly the same since 93, it went all the way up to 225 in 2002 - 2003, and then went down to 221. Perhaps because of the rule changes.

Last edited by jstern : 11-28-2010 at 02:11 PM.
jstern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
magnax1
Green Union's Grant

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: NBA Players Average Weight And Size Since 1985

I found the most interesting part that experience peaks out in 2000 right about when mid 90's highschool players started to hit their stride. I wish they got rid of the 1 college year rule.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

G.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The average NBA player in 1964:

6'5" 3/4
205.8 lbs
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
Suckafree
High School Varsity 12th Man

Suckafree has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern

Edit: The average weight hasn't been exactly the same since 93, it went all the way up to 225 in 2002 - 2003, and then went down to 221. Perhaps because of the rule changes.

Maybe shaq and yao single handedly pushed the average weight up?
Suckafree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
jn2rons
Kids at the park dunk on me

jn2rons has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I wonder what was happening in the league around that time for players feeling that they should add more weight, even though it's just a few pounds.

Just a guess, but I'd imagine that the weight increase was due to the fact that the teams had to add an additional 6-12 fouls on their benches to account for Shaq's dominance. Lotsa stiffs trolled the league at his peak.

Just a guess...
jn2rons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
Batz
Shit just got serious

Batz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Can we get a list of average weight/height/size at each position separately? That would make this thread actually interesting.
Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
Rose
Moon Wizard

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batz
Can we get a list of average weight/height/size at each position separately? That would make this thread actually interesting.
Agreed!
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
jstern
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batz

Well, I don't have the time, but if someone does, they can do it and post it.

I do remember last year someone saying that shooting guards were shorter in the 90s, so I put NBA Live 95 for Super Nintendo, and highlighted the SG position, and pressed R to go team by team. It took me less than 5 minutes, and I think the average height was for starting shooting guards, which was what I checked was around 6'5"
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Round Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation here

More proof today is the weakest era in NBA history.

Kobe stans will say Jordan faced smaller opponents than him. GTF out.

Today`s NBA is perimeter oriented, anti Frontline, anti Post Game, anti Contact

The Zone rules are so easy to break with ball movement and passin game: ofcourse non of the college players that enter the game have this
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
I found the most interesting part that experience peaks out in 2000 right about when mid 90's highschool players started to hit their stride. I wish they got rid of the 1 college year rule.

Are you kidding? I wish they'd make it 2 years. That rule is one of the best things that has happened, it stopped immature, arrogant kids who have been given everything on a silver platter coming into the league and then realising they have no real game and having to spend several years developing.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
Droid101
3-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
Are you kidding? I wish they'd make it 2 years. That rule is one of the best things that has happened, it stopped immature, arrogant kids who have been given everything on a silver platter coming into the league and then realising they have no real game and having to spend several years developing.
It's a stupid rule that makes players waste a year of what could be prime development against NBA level competition with professional training and nutritionists at your beck and call. Period.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
jstern
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!

I used to be for that rule, back when I was younger. I terms of letting people make their own decision, and be responsible for it, I was all for that, but that's just in the human term. If they made a mistake, at least they have more money in a year than I'll ever make. But then I started thinking in terms of quality of the NBA, and it's so true, can't have teams drafting players when they're not ready just based of what they could be years down the line, it just lowers the quality of the league, so I think it's a great rule, good business decision by the NBA. I mean sure, there are the Lebron's out there, but those are extremely rare. In fact he's the only one.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I used to be for that rule, back when I was younger. I terms of letting people make their own decision, and be responsible for it, I was all for that, but that's just in the human term. If they made a mistake, at least they have more money in a year than I'll ever make. But then I started thinking in terms of quality of the NBA, and it's so true, can't have teams drafting players when they're not ready just based of what they could be years down the line, it just lowers the quality of the league, so I think it's a great rule, good business decision by the NBA. I mean sure, there are the Lebron's out there, but those are extremely rare. In fact he's the only one.
Exactly, the high schoolers dumbed down the league big time, it is no coincidence that the era when the most high schoolers were jumping straight to the league is often referred to as the weakest era in NBA history.
When it happened in the past before big money took over, it was because the player was truly something special (Moses, Kemp). When NBA contracts went through the roof it became more of a 'get rich quick' scheme for kids.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: