Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
KingsFan416
I brick open layups

Default King James Wants Erik Spoelstra To Bow To Him

Quote:
Erik Spoelstra reached out to Mike Brown over the summer and searched for insight into both basketball’s blessing and curse: Coaching the two-time MVP LeBron James(notes).

Over and over, Brown uprooted his offensive system to appease James only to have it never work. Brown praised James’ character publicly when he would’ve preferred to have been truthful about James’ narcissism. James defied Brown in public and private, disregarded his play calls to freelance his offense, and belittled him without consequence within the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Meticulous in his preparation, Spoelstra spoke with several past coaches, and league sources said a clear and unequivocal picture appeared on how to proceed: End the cycle of enabling with James and hold him accountable.

And surprise, surprise: LeBron James has responded with a test of his own organizational strength, pushing to see how far the Heat will bend to his will. This season, James is hearing a word seldom uttered to him in Cleveland: “No.” And it keeps coming out of the coach’s mouth, keeps getting between the King and what he wants.

Can I stay overnight to party in New Orleans after a preseason game?

Can I play the clown in practice?

Can I get out of playing point guard?

No. No. No.

Wait, what?

No, LeBron.

No.

Even within a month of the season’s sideways 9-8 start, the NBA witnessed a predictable play out of the James-Maverick Carter playbook on Monday morning. They planted a story and exposed themselves again as jokers of the highest order. They care so little about anyone but themselves. Still, no one’s surprised that they’d stoop so low, so fast into this supposed historic 73-victory season and NBA Finals sweep of the Los Angeles Lakers. They want Spoelstra – and Pat Riley – to bend to them, to bow to the King the way everyone has before them.

Nevertheless, here’s what was surprising – even troubling – when the Heat talked on Monday before a victory over the Washington Wizards: In the blink of an eye, Dwyane Wade(notes) signed up with Team LeBron to scapegoat and sell out Spoelstra.

“I’m not going to say he’s ‘my guy,’ but he’s my coach,” Wade said.

Wade’s always been loyal, and that’s why it was so surprising to witness him bail this fast on Spoelstra, whom Wade knows too well. Spoelstra is a good NBA coach. Everyone knows that Wade isn’t a star who plays hard all the time, knows that he takes plays off on defense. They know that Spoelstra did a terrific job coaching 90 victories out of that flawed Miami roster the previous two seasons.

As much as ever, the Heat need Wade to influence James. Only now, it’s clear James is influencing Wade. With Udonis Haslem(notes) out for the regular season, the locker room misses one of its vital voices. Now, Wade is struggling on the floor and James is the devil on his shoulder, whispering that he doesn’t need to be accountable, that there’s an easy fall guy for everyone: Spoelstra.

Those who know Wade well, who care about him, were disappointed Monday. When Spoelstra needed Wade to stand up for him, Wade never shrunk so small. Spoelstra was Wade’s guy, but Wade’s finding it much easier to align himself with James’ coward act than do the right thing. This was something that you’d expect out of Chris Bosh(notes), who’s never been a leader, never a winner, but Wade?

“He knows better than this,” one of Wade’s former assistant coaches said. “I’m not saying he hasn’t changed some, but he knows right from wrong. And this is wrong.”

The fundamental problem for Spoelstra isn’t that James doesn’t respect coaches – he doesn’t respect people. Give LeBron this, though: He’s learned to live one way with the television light on, and another with it off. He treats everyone like a servant, because that’s what the system taught him as a teenage prodigy. To James, the coach isn’t there to mold him into the team dynamic. He’s there to serve him.

Wade was one of the Team USA players who’d watch incredulously as James would throw a bowl of fries back at a renowned chef and bark, “They’re cold!” Or throw his sweaty practice jersey across the court and command a team administrator to go pick it up. Everyone wants James to grow out of it, but he’s never showed much of an inclination for self-examination and improvement. And he’s never surrounded himself with people who’d push him to do so.

What’s more, the timing of this leak was no accident, because James and his business manager had to like the idea of someone else going on trial this week. When the public wanted to talk about James’ return to Cleveland, about the callous way with which he left, about the disjointed start in Miami, they thrust everything onto Spoelstra.

Part of them believed they could deflect Hell Week at home in Ohio, and part of them probably believed they could indeed align the public with them against Spoelstra.

After all, the coach had it coming to him. Of this, LeBron James was sure. Spoelstra had the audacity to do something that Mike Brown never had ownership’s backing to do in Cleveland: To push James, call him out, coach him.

The funniest part had to be how they leaked the idea that Eric Spoelstra was panicking now, behaving like he feared for his job. Truth be told, he’s been behaving in the opposite way. Spoelstra isn’t running from LeBron, but running at him.

Someone’s scared here, but it isn’t the coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...poelstra112910
KingsFan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
kumquat
College superstar

Default Re: King James Wants Erik Spoelstra To Bow To Him

Lebron won't have a fan by the time 82 games are up. I hope he gets ditched by his sponsors. Should have realized anyone who tells their mom to sit the **** down has gotta be a grade a asshole.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
YAWN
NBA All-star

This is what Lebron wants:

RT @DickieV: @KingJames u must not try to satisfy teammates- play in attack mode like as a Cav.U r to talented but r very p#!@%*#ive- Be the KING!
KingJames via UberTwitter
http://twitter.com/kingjames
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

Lebron James Hall of Fame Resume:

Quit against Spurs in 07 Finals.
0 Finals wins.
Quit against Magic in 09.
Refused to shake hands with magic after he quit.
Quit against Boston in game 5 after calling out coach earlier in series.
Tells mom to stfu "sit the **** down" during playoff game vs Boston.
Delonte West reportedly has intercourse with James' Mother.
"the Decision"
"the bump"

Heat currently 9-8, I'm sure all NBA fans are excited to see how the season plays out, Lebron fans must be thrilled at the King's continued legacy.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
MrJohnWall
Great young streetballer

Lebron sounds like a snobby spoiled lil white girl.
As soon as he declines i can guarantee he will get the A.I treatment
MrJohnWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
TennesseeFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold
Lebron James Hall of Fame Resume:

Quit against Spurs in 07 Finals.
0 Finals wins.
Quit against Magic in 09.
Refused to shake hands with magic after he quit.
Quit against Boston in game 5 after calling out coach earlier in series.
Tells mom to stfu "sit the **** down" during playoff game vs Boston.
Delonte West reportedly has intercourse with James' Mother.
"the Decision"
"the bump"

Heat currently 9-8, I'm sure all NBA fans are excited to see how the season plays out, Lebron fans must be thrilled at the King's continued legacy.

Heh.

Also one of the greatest playoff performances in NBA history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Px-jPm_TU
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

I can not figure out for the life of me why Wojo hates LeBron and his camp so much.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Semi
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan
Heh.

Also one of the greatest playoff performances in NBA history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Px-jPm_TU

for sure, saw this when it happened. amazing.
seeing this now makes me very sad
Semi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

Even if half of the post is wrong, I somehow gained a lot of respect for John Leguizamo.
creepingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohnWall
Lebron sounds like a snobby spoiled lil white girl.
As soon as he declines i can guarantee he will get the A.I treatment

the kid just has a superiority complex. he can't deal w/ being 2nd best.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
Semi
Great young streetballer

i'm a lebron fan since he came into the league and i truly believe that he is an asshole. but who wouldn't be, if he would be treated like that since he was in high school. he got everything he wanted from day one and was treated like a king. why don't behave like a king then? so i guess much of the stuff the media is pointing out is right but i don't believe an article which is obviously written very subjective just to bash lebron. don't believe everything the media is writing, wether it's pro or contra lebron. whoever wrote this article can't be considered as an professional journalist.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
Knicksfever2010
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan416

can you blame him? everyone including ESPN has been bowing to him since his HS days... remember when they started broadcasting his HS games calling him the next MJ?
Knicksfever2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
DCL
NBA lottery pick

it didn't seem too long ago when like 90% of the basketball world was all over lebron's jock. now most of them hate his ass with a passion. don't think i ever seen this kind of tremendous turn around for a player. i think losing probably has a lot to do with it. if the heat were undefeated, he'd probably still be absolute king and worshipped like king.

i was always kinda in the middle in terms of feeling for lebron. when all the groupies were all up his junk, i thought it was overboard. but now the opposite is happening and tons of people just hate and hate him. i think that's kinda overboard too. he is what he is. he's done nothing to make me change my opinion. i never "worshipped" him but i never "hated his guts" neither. he's just still the same to me. he's a basketball player on tv, not a buddy or a friend. some fans can't distinguish these things. or maybe most people can't think for themselves but just go by whatever is popular at the moment, and bashing lebron is pretty popular now.

Last edited by DCL : 11-30-2010 at 08:14 AM.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Semi
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
can you blame him? everyone including ESPN has been bowing to him since his HS days... remember when they started broadcasting his HS games calling him the next MJ?
of course you can blame him. he is an professional journalist. just because it's about lebron doesn't justify that he can subjectivly hate him.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
bagelred
My team always wins

As soon as I read title, I knew it was Woj.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: