Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #31
TennesseeFan
Banned

TennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Is the running back position the deepest It's ever been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
Gore has to prove he can stay healthy...he is the new Ronnie Brown

Mendenhall has been alright, before this year started no one thought Jerry went wrong in taking Felix before him though...I don't think he will ever be 'elite" status...he doesn't have the skill set that Charles has...

Charles has speed similiar to CJ and Peterson...he ran a 4.36

Mendy is a slow bruiser...

speed kills in the NFL...and I am convinced 40 times "mean something"...it just doesn't guarentee anything...

Arian Foster.
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:49 AM   #32
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan
Arian Foster.
he doesn't have elite speed either...ran a 4.69 and a 4.73 on his proday...

he could be a one hit wonder...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #33
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Gore has to prove he can stay healthy...he is the new Ronnie Brown
Gore was injury-prone in college. In the NFL, he has been remarkably durable. He's handled over 200 carries in each of the last five seasons (including over 300 in 2006). He's also only missed five games in the last five years.

When you are carrying that kind of work-load, averaging one game missed per season is remarkably good. His injury this season in the 12th week of the season will mark his shortest season in his six-year NFL career... Not too shabby.

Also, Gore >>> Brown.

Quote:
Mendenhall has been alright, before this year started no one thought Jerry went wrong in taking Felix before him though...I don't think he will ever be 'elite" status...he doesn't have the skill set that Charles has...

Charles has speed similiar to CJ and Peterson...he ran a 4.36

Mendy is a slow bruiser...

Charles could never do what Mendenhall does, which is be an every-down back and carry a team for an entire game.

Speed does not = better.

Charles is explosive, but for a team that likes to play ball-control, plays in poor weather and wants an every-down back, Mendy is a much, much better fit than Charles. I like watching Jamaal play, but I think that Mendy is the better player.

Also, Mendenhall isn't exactly slow. He ran a f#cking 4.45 at the combine (and, more importantly, he looks fast on the field). He breaks long runs on the regular.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #34
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Mendenhall is far from slow. He'll burn you every once in awhile.

The thing that sets him apart is his ability to get yards after contact and his quickness/feet.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #35
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
I don't necessarily disagree, but I find that he'll "never get 2000 yards" is a pretty ridiculous standard by which to make the argument.

I'm pretty sure Eric Clapton is a better guitarist than I am...though I'm pretty good. But "because I'll never have as many guitars as he does" isn't really a viable reason.

I made that statement because achieving 2000 yards for a running back is a really hard thing to do, and it takes a special player to get it.

Now don't take it as me saying Hillis isn't special. It is just that Johnson is more special.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 AM   #36
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Gore is better than Ronnie IMO but I don't agree with the durable part...he hasn't played a full season since 06 and in case you missed the news he miss the rest of this season...yeah, carring the load bangs you up...AP gets his bruises too...just not every year

and I just think Charles is way better than Mendy...I guess we will just have to disagree on that one...only time will tell I guess, but yeah i shouldn't have called him 'slow"...although compared to Charles he might be...

also I think in many cases speed does make a player better...I guess we will just disagree on that one too...but if that was just your way of saying it isn't a "must" i understand...Emmitt Smith wasn't a burner but I'll be damned if he wouldn't have been "better" with 4.2 speed...
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #37
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mendy ran a 4.45 at the NFL combine so he definitely has some speed and burst to break off the occasional long one (ex. game winner vs. ATL). He has great feet and vision and has been able to run consistently behind a pretty shitty and often injured offensive line all season.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #38
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Mendy ran a 4.45 at the NFL combine so he definitely has some speed and burst to break off the occasional long one (ex. game winner vs. ATL). He has great feet and vision and has been able to run consistently behind a pretty shitty and often injured offensive line all season.
I'm not saying he sucks (although it looked like he was going to be a bust his rookie year) I'm just not big on him...not yet anyway, rather have Charles

I think I have paid very close attention to Mendy's career givin that him and Felix were drafted right next to each other and the comparisons and "what ifs" where in Dallas for a while...still are now, suddenly Dallas fans are coming out and saying "Jerry is an idiot, he should have taken Mendy, I knew it all along"...

I shouldn't have called him slow, he isn't...just slower than Charles
Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #39
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Gore was injury-prone in college. In the NFL, he has been remarkably durable. He's handled over 200 carries in each of the last five seasons (including over 300 in 2006). He's also only missed five games in the last five years.

When you are carrying that kind of work-load, averaging one game missed per season is remarkably good. His injury this season in the 12th week of the season will mark his shortest season in his six-year NFL career... Not too shabby.

Also, Gore >>> Brown.

Exactly. Idk what Primetime was thinking when he made that remark.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #40
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well he was injured for pretty much his whole rookie season so we didn't really get a chance to see the type of player he was. He only played in 4 games and has 19 carries that year.

Last year he had 1100 yards and didn't even start the whole season. Him and Charles both had great finishes to last season (Charles went nuts tho). I get why people say Charles is the better player but I agree with RBA about how they are different players and Mendy is better suited to be an every down back. It's more about what the team is looking for and Mendy is a much better fit for our style and philosophy than Charles would be.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #41
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Exactly. Idk what Primetime was thinking when he made that remark.
IDK maybe the fact that he JUST went out for the season this past Sunday had something to do with it?

Gore and "remarkably durable" do not go together IMO...
Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #42
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
IDK maybe the fact that he JUST went out for the season this past Sunday had something to do with it?

Gore and "remarkably durable" do not go together IMO...

Sorry I should've quoted the part when you called Gore the new Ronnie Brown. I think that's a ludicrious statement given Gore's history.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #43
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Sorry I should've quoted the part when you called Gore the new Ronnie Brown. I think that's a ludicrious statement given Gore's history.
he is better and more durable than Brown...

I own Gore on a fantasy so I am upset at his injury atm...don't take that too literally...

I don't like Brown at all really...
Old 12-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #44
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Gore is generally reliable but as a past fantasy-owner of him I do get what primetime is saying. He doesn't miss that many games but he's always playing through some type of injury. I had him that year he missed all of training camp with a broken bone in his hand or whatever (or broken thumb or something? I forget) and all I heard was how he was going to fumble or be limited because of it. Played through it though.

Also I think there's a difference in 40 time speed and speed on the field, same in basketball with straight line speed and speed with the ball. Brian Westbrook in his prime was thought to be really fast but had a 4.57 40 time. That's actually .01 slower than Brandon Freakin Jacobs.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #45
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Gore is generally reliable but as a past fantasy-owner of him I do get what primetime is saying. He doesn't miss that many games but he's always playing through some type of injury. I had him that year he missed all of training camp with a broken bone in his hand or whatever (or broken thumb or something? I forget) and all I heard was how he was going to fumble or be limited because of it. Played through it though.

Also I think there's a difference in 40 time speed and speed on the field, same in basketball with straight line speed and speed with the ball. Brian Westbrook in his prime was thought to be really fast but had a 4.57 40 time. That's actually .01 slower than Brandon Freakin Jacobs.
people with high 40 times can be much faster than their time suggests but just about everyone with a low 40 time IS ALSO fast on the feild...not a coincedence that CJ had the fastest 40 ever and is also super fast on the feild...can name many others like that too...Green/Deion/Bo/Ginn/AP/ect/ect...

I hate when people say "40 times don't mean anything"...BS, if that was true they wouldn't bother doing the shit...they DO mean something...they just don't promise anything...it doesn't mean they are going to be good, but it DOES mean they are going to be fast...

if someone can bench 2,000 lbs they are STRONG

if someone can run a 3.5 40 they are FAST

simple as that IMO...

I can't even think of someone that had a fast 40 but was actualy really slow on the feild...no one comes to mind unless they got injured or something...

but there are a few players that had low 40s that are faster on the feild...maybe they just ate something bad for lunch during the combine, who knows...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: