Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Carpevicis's tryouts

Today was the first day of tryouts and it went very well. I was a little nervous but once I got into it, I was playing really naturally and freely.

Hit all my layups in the line drills, nailed almost all my pull ups (missed my first one) and absolutely killed it in the 1 on 1s. I admit I was being guarded by some pretty crappy defenders but it's cool cause the coach put me there. Then I moved to another station with good defenders and still kept scoring. Got some strips on defense although the other dudes were lighting me up. I hit almost every shot I took in the 1 on 1s and got to the basket easily.

Scrimmages I got boards and some good drives to the basket. I'm kind of annoyed that I missed some layups with contact but I hit the ones I took for the most part. Defense was on point.

And finally I did great in the suicides, top 3/4 in all of them. Not a bad day at all.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Carpevicis's tryouts

Good to hear Carp keep it up and let it transfer to 5 on 5.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

nice, it seems you are on your way to getting a great position. Just remember to keep up the hard work : D
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Thanks guys.

Today was day 2, we did mostly scrimmages. For some reason the coach put me with the worst team but I managed. He went crazy after one drive I had where I came off a screen and took it right to the basket. Then I was one of the few who lasted the longest for wall sits.

Tomorrow is when the final team is announced. Last day to show my skills!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Thanks guys.

Today was day 2, we did mostly scrimmages. For some reason the coach put me with the worst team but I managed. He went crazy after one drive I had where I came off a screen and took it right to the basket. Then I was one of the few who lasted the longest for wall sits.

Tomorrow is when the final team is announced. Last day to show my skills!

good job and good luck. Just be aggressive and confident.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

i got cut
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
i got cut

Sucks man. Keep playing and getting better. Look into joining some different leagues. At the end of the day, it's just a game so don't feel too bad.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

dam..was hoping for you to make it so I could see how you would do. Well, if you really want to join the team, I hope you ask the coach and stuff. It sounded like you were doing fantastic :O
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah I thought I did so well during tryouts, I was on point offensively and doing good team defense. I even got a block and the coach started shouting.

In the end it came down to individual player meetings with the coach. He said to me that he was impressed throughout the three days by my effort and what I brought, but noted that I was a junior and that my chances of playing varsity were slim (this was the JV team). He said I was the toughest decision to make and due to all the extra guards I was the one who had to go.

So what happens now?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

damn that sucks... it's not over though just keep working and try out for an aau team in the spring. You had said you might not want to play for the team anyway so use this time to workout
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah that's my plan right now. It looks like I'll never play for my HS, but it's not that big of a deal. The coach was new this year and really seemed like a great coach, so it's too bad that I couldn't play for him. It doesn't matter anymore, because I'm moving forward and looking to prepare for the spring.

I noticed my conditioning was lacking so I'm looking to improve that with the time I have.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
J21
Can barely lace up my sneakers

J21 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
So what happens now?

What happens now? You take this as extra motivation. I don't know about you but nothing motivates me to work harder than failure. Lost games, getting cut, not getting enough minutes. You have to use this as fuel for your fire. The only easy day was yesterday. Work hard. Press on.
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

yea man try out for AAU... you just have to keep playing and getting better. You have another year left... that's a lot of time to get better.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah this is definitely some real motivation. I was angry at myself and just in general for a little while because I felt like not only did I put in work in the offseason, but I also outperformed many of the other players at the tryouts.

Now, I'm over it though. If they didn't want me on the team, I can't change that. In fact, it's probably for the better because now I can spend all my time for personal improvement instead of learning plays and doing team conditioning.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: