Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How to make it to the NBA

Don't give yourself a unrealistic goal, you should be happy to get a NCAA scholarship..

First I say you have to get into college first then after there it could be fair game depending what school you play for, etc. Get a college recruiting tape going, ask your HS coaches to notify some college coaches, send tapes and talk to the colleges. Make sure you get good grades on tests and SAT's and other shit. If you can make a D1 or D2 team and you start or get PT eventually you can have a shot then you can possibly go oversea's in Europe then w/e.

But you have to be a good player though.. You can't be a 6'3 center first year on varsity type of player. Also getting a scholarship is really hard.

I'd say don't even get your goals to play in the NBA, just try to get a free college scholarship. Best of luck
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #17
King Kong
I hit open layups

King Kong has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78
Most players with NBA talent have been identified and scouted before they even reach high school. You tell us you are 17 years old. I have to tell you that if you aren't on anybody's radar and haven't been scouted at all yet then you have virtually no chance of making it to the league.

John Starks bagged groceries for several years after playing in high school before going on to play at community colleges, Oklahoma State University and then the NBA. With that being said he was still known to scouts based on his high school career.

If you have never been recruited and college/nba scouts have never come to your games to see you play then you don't have a chance at making it. I can't think of any NBA level talent that has gone unnoticed and still made it to the league in the last 25-30 years. Teams have scouts who go to elementary school and middle school games to identify standout players. If you aren't a standout player by now you won't ever be one. Some players develop late (both Michael Jordan and John Wall weren't highly regarded at the beginning of their high school careers) but by their junior and senior years they were known and had scholarship offers. A late bloomer is still found and identified by scouts before his/her high school career is finished.

Scottie Pippen never received a single scholarship offer, he was the team manager for his Arkansas team, until the coaches saw he was the best player when they played pick up games with the team.
King Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
dmoz21
Can barely lace up my sneakers

dmoz21 has an OK reputation so far

Have a ton of confidence and check out basketball training videos at stretball.com.
dmoz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #19
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J21
well, I'll take my chances and presume that OP is not 7 feet tall

Neither was Hakeem ;)

He was 6'10
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 AM   #20
DeronMillsap
Banned

DeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's a game of speed and length. If you're over 6 foot and can run then that's a good start.

The rest depends on your abilities and dedication. As well as studying schemes and coaching systems.

You kind a know if you're gonna make it or not around 16.
DeronMillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #21
J21

J21 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Neither was Hakeem ;)

He was 6'10

no, he was 7' exactly
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/hakeem...won/index.html
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #22
Wukillabeez78
I brick open layups

Wukillabeez78 is considered somewhat coolWukillabeez78 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kong
Scottie Pippen never received a single scholarship offer, he was the team manager for his Arkansas team, until the coaches saw he was the best player when they played pick up games with the team.

Note I said nobody in the last 25-30 years. Pippen graduated high school in 1983 which falls within that range (27 years ago). Thanks for the reminder though, he is one of the very few players (not to mention superstars) who wasn't recruited by any schools by the time he'd finished high school. Hakeem was class of 1981 (29 years ago). Hakeem was recruited though out of the Nigerian high school he graduated from by HOF coach Guy Lewis. Lewis recruited Hakeem after getting a tip about him from a friend. The point is that if the original poster hasn't been noticed/scouted/recruited yet and he's nearly finished his high school basketball career then he's not a standout player and doesn't have a shot at making it to the NBA. Pippen's don't occur anymore, I gave the range 25-30 years because the scouting and recruiting of players changed dramatically around this time.
Wukillabeez78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #23
Wukillabeez78
I brick open layups

Wukillabeez78 is considered somewhat coolWukillabeez78 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by J21

Hakeem might have been listed at 7 feet by the team and NBA but by his own admission he was only 6'10...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C0A9629582 60
Wukillabeez78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #24
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78
Hakeem might have been listed at 7 feet by the team and NBA but by his own admission he was only 6'10...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C0A9629582 60

Thanks. Didn't really want to have search for that to back my shit up
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #25
J21

J21 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Thanks. Didn't really want to have search for that to back my shit up
doesn't change the fact that OP is probably nowhere near 6'10 or 7' so unless he's athletic, strong and possesses tremendous skill, he ain't gonna wind up in the nba
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #26
RandyOrton
OKC

RandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by koBEDABEST
young baller that lives in missauga, ontario(canada). im 17. grade 11. im on the senior team this year and will be next year.

wut r all the possible ways i can make it in the nba(college draft, tryouts etc.) i dont care if i enter at 19 or 25

What school do you go to?
Position?
Height?
Stats?
Are you a starter?

Give more detail.
RandyOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #27
GhostDeini32
serenity now

GhostDeini32 has decent reputation

if you are posting on ISH asking how to get to the NBA, you should probably go outside and work on your game.

worry about getting a college scholarship first. ......... seriously.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #28
RandyOrton
OKC

RandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDeini32
if you are posting on ISH asking how to get to the NBA, you should probably go outside and work on your game.

worry about getting a college scholarship first. ......... seriously.

It isn't like hes super active on the site or anything.
RandyOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
GhostDeini32
serenity now

GhostDeini32 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOrton
It isn't like hes super active on the site or anything.

a dose of reality never hurt anyone.

anyone who is asking how to make it to the nba might as well ask how to win the lotto.

that is the truth.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #30
JrueHoliday11
jrue it up

JrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDeini32
a dose of reality never hurt anyone.

anyone who is asking how to make it to the nba might as well ask how to win the lotto.

that is the truth.
truth has been told
JrueHoliday11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: