Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
koBEDABEST
Banned

Default Point guard trainning and dribbling drills

wut r the best way to train to develop point guard skills?

also, i dont have access to a court yet(its winter) but in a few i will for everyday. so basically now i practice only my handles in my basement wih limited space. so id also like to know good drills for handles or other stuff i can do in my basement.
koBEDABEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: Point guard trainning and dribbling drills

i havent been on here in a long time, hard work thats the short answer. you have to be a sound dribbler look at derrick fisher basically he isnt a fancy dribbler but not too many ppl can take the ball away from him. Practice your ball handling everyday make a ball handling workout. Put the reps in and how long you will do them. Having solid handles make shooting and passing easier and gives you quick hands on defense. You just gotta put the work in basically when it comes to improving anything no secrets. Also keep your head up which how you become a good passer but all this doesn't make you a point guard, making the right decisions and controlling the tempo makes a good point guard.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
DWRIGHTWAY
Banned

search up some drills on youtube lil brah
DWRIGHTWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
hedi01
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I have no house md DVDconventional television, and the House began to see the DVD of last year. First I rented a DVD season due to criticism. After the first album ended, I was addicted to the Assembly that the House24 hours DVD of Vicodin. This is a series of purchases and watch again and again, and I've seen over the first 4 seasons in less than a month and I am more eager for the release of season 5. Buy the DVDgrey's anatomy DVD means I can get at least one dose of previous seasons until season 5.Having seen all the series so far in a short period of time, have also detected a smallville dvdchange in the series, but I see this as an increase in the character and the election without fear of exceeding the limit. Given the essence of the character of the house, how could we do otherwise and remain the closer DVDtrue to itself and is a homonym? I say Bravo! and maintain. There are too many "security" program there, and not let the House what they did with other exceptionally intelligent, nervous programs (ie, Arrested Development). Here's looking forward to several seasons.
hedi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
DWRIGHTWAY
Banned

^ wtf
DWRIGHTWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by koBEDABEST
wut r the best way to train to develop point guard skills?

also, i dont have access to a court yet(its winter) but in a few i will for everyday. so basically now i practice only my handles in my basement wih limited space. so id also like to know good drills for handles or other stuff i can do in my basement.

Youtube has alot of different drills you could do.. or just look up different drills coaches make their players do. Pick the best stuff and stick to it. Everyday.
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

Here are two really good workouts or actually two parts to one workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEb6...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRRsn...eature=related

I'm pretty good at them but still lack in decision making which is something you gain from experience (I have very little).
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
Here are two really good workouts or actually two parts to one workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEb6...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRRsn...eature=related

I'm pretty good at them but still lack in decision making which is something you gain from experience (I have very little).

superhandles is just down right sick with the handles.

However though those drills really don't translate that well in live contest. Like Derrick Rose can't do those drills like that, but he can surely take you off the dribble and cross you up with ease.

It has to be a fine balance, personally the ones that help me the most is when I do a make a move drill. Like put the ball in between my legs then make a move then do over and over again. Or behind the back, or behind back twice. You get the picture.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
superhandles is just down right sick with the handles.

However though those drills really don't translate that well in live contest. Like Derrick Rose can't do those drills like that, but he can surely take you off the dribble and cross you up with ease.

It has to be a fine balance, personally the ones that help me the most is when I do a make a move drill. Like put the ball in between my legs then make a move then do over and over again. Or behind the back, or behind back twice. You get the picture.

I know exactly what you are saying. I can do all of the drills on those superhandles videos and most of these by Ryan Goodson and Michah Lancaster but I still can't seem to become better in the game. My ball handling gets me picked pretty quickly when playing pick up games but my decision making cost my teams a lot of points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irH4mmbS31g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEaOYIqZqdY
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
GhostDeini32
serenity now

look into two ball ballhandling.

and spider dribble and ball handling exercises/routines that you can follow everytime you workout.

you have to make it a routinized regiment to become a great ballhandler.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
ghettoracer
I airball my layups

you didn't say what level you are at but some key points for PG is learning to protect the ball from your defender. you don't need a lot of fancy dribbling if you know how to space your self and place the ball with good protection. you need to be able to do this while still read the team defense as well as watching for your team mates.

one thing that takes a while to develop is, you don't need to do anything until the defender does something. meaning, keeping the dribble simple and fairly slow. but as soon as you sense a reach or slacking off of the defender, make your move. a good cross over, direction change, or speed change (or the combination of) will put the defender at a huge disadvantage.

for example, lot of guys do they cross over before they get close enough to the defender. this is where the experienced defender will take your ball away easy. because they can read and anticipate your moves.
ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: