Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Seattle SuperSonics Forum

Seattle SuperSonics Forum Seattle Supersonics message board - sonics fan forum

Old 06-04-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Remember last year, when the Sonics won 50 games?

Yeah, anyway, I have serious question about that: HOW?

How did they win 50 games... even then I didn't understand it. Yeah, Ray Allen is really good, yeah Shard can put a ball in a bucket, and yeah Luke Ridnour is a good passer. But the team had no depth, no coach and absolutely no frontcourt. Was anybody paying attention? What seperated this year from last year? Cause they fell hard.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default ...

Jerome James is what happend. He left, they sucked.

:cool:
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

It was just a freak accident. Every year or two there's a team that overachieves. My Bucks did it during TJ's rookie year and made the playoffs led by a Michael Redd who isn't nearly as well rounded as he is today.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Nate McMillan is a good coach, and he reached his players there. They won because teams could not score as well as they could. Vlad, Rashard, Ray Ray Luke, Daniels could all shoot and teams didnt know how to defend them. On top of that they had 2 stalwarts in Fortson and Evans who were beats on the boards who got any rebound that bounced near them. It basically all just clicked for them and they willed themselves to win.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Jerome James was primed for franchise player status. Remember in the Spurs series where he dunked on Duncan twice on consecutive possesions? That was awesome. He was about to become thee franchise player of the team and they were about to set up a dynasty with Him, Ray, and Rashard. But then he went to the Knicks and his career did what a career does when you go to the Knicks these days.

Another big factor for them was Reggie Evans. He was the guy that kept them together. Anytime they were playing bad or someone wasn't stepping up he would hit them in the balls and wake their ass up.

You can't replace those two. You just can't.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
Orealius
Great young streetballer

Orealius has an OK reputation so far

When Nate left, all the chemistry they had developed disappeared. Not to mention Antonio Daniels, who was a very important piece to that team bolted and later Reggie Evans and Vladimir Radmanovic left.
Orealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I think the worst part of that 50 win aberrition was that it made the Sonics think they were good they way they were, so they resigned Ray Allen. Big mistake. Now they'll never be able to rebuild and now Allen wasn't forced to join forces with Lebron in Cleveland.

Quote:
My Bucks did it during TJ's rookie year and made the playoffs led by a Michael Redd who isn't nearly as well rounded as he is today.
I remember that! I think that was partly accident, but also partly TJ Ford given control of a team. I think if you had your old coach back who made their players play hard and give control of the offense to Ford you'd enjoy similar overachievement. Ford is like an afterthought for Stotts.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #8
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
Nate McMillan is a good coach,
I didn't reailze they had a good coach. Is he still there?

Quote:
Another big factor for them was Reggie Evans. He was the guy that kept them together. Anytime they were playing bad or someone wasn't stepping up he would hit them in the balls and wake their ass up.
Now that you mention it I remember reading box scores and the guy would always have like 15 rebounds. Why did they let him go? I'm pretty sure he's on the Nuggets now iirc. Wasting away there because they already have Camby.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Quote:
My Bucks did it during TJ's rookie year and made the playoffs led by a Michael Redd who isn't nearly as well rounded as he is today.

Thats not true. They did that because they were well coached and had a good team. Joe Smith was still a very solid PF who played good defense. Des Mason had a career year and was one of the top perimeter defenders, TJ Ford was one of the leagues best PGs(they fell apart once he was hurt), Redd wasnt chucking like he does now.

They were a solid team that got underrated at the start of the year which made their achievements seem greater at the end. They were the same as the Hornets this year. A team with the parts that needed a good PG to put it all together because there was no #1.

As for Seattle... Ray and Shard were hot, that helped. Ridnour was brilliant, ran the point like a grizzled vet. Evans played tough interior D and rebounded, Fortson, James and Potapenko gave them a big man rotation with some real toughness and aggressiveness to it(Basically did what Diop has done for Dallas this year). Daniels gave them something off the bench.

They got it together at the end, would have been better if they werent obsessed with playing Watson, doing what Memphis did with him. Watson is one of the more overrated PGs going around, he plays solid defense so everyone forgets that he gives you nothing at the other end. Once Wilcox gave them something inside and Petro and Swift started getting it, Ray got hot, Ridnour got them going and Lewis also did his thing they won some games. Last year though they just rode a hot streak and carried that out for the year.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15

Now that you mention it I remember reading box scores and the guy would always have like 15 rebounds. Why did they let him go? I'm pretty sure he's on the Nuggets now iirc. Wasting away there because they already have Camby.

They let him walk for Portland. Too bad, cos they lost all thier chemistry.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #11
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Nate McMillan. He had a system on both ends and the players listened. It was sorta a style to the Suns of this year offensively. They had a team full of shooters and guys who could put it on the floor so they drove and kicked the ball out, and had great ball movement. Plus they played really good defensively and rebounded well.

I think they'd have done the same thing this year if they'd kept McMillan.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15

Is that sarcasm or are you being serious I can't even tell. And yes McMillan was a good coach, for that squad at least, because in Seattle he was so respected so the team had no choice but to listen. He got a team full of bad defenders to man up and at least try hard to D up, which you obviously can't say this year. Unfortunately last summer when Coact Nate's contract expired he felt disrespected by the way the Sonics handled him and spurned them for the Blazers.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #13
RobertSwift31
High School JV MVP

RobertSwift31 has an OK reputation so far

Nate Was a good coach.
Evans and Fortson were GREAT rebounders.
At the end of games Lewis would take over in the post, Ray would hit big shots, and fortson would draw fouls (he was an 80% FT shooter) We won many more close games than we lost, and that got us to 50 wins.
RobertSwift31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:46 AM   #14
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster
Exclamation

is it just me, or does geewiz find his wizards and the sonics of 04/05 very similar?

allen/arenas
lewis/jamison

...etc
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #15
WilliamPhiladelphiaSmith

Default adsf

Hey don't call them a fluke!

They got off to a hot start, and were just led by an underrated star in Allen, and a great secondary offensive option in Lewis.

Combine that iwth their system, and bluecollar guys like COllison/Evans and a young improving PG in ridnour.

Fav team in past couple of years!!!

They pushed the spurs to 6 games despite missing Radmanovic, Lewis etc. thanks to Antoino D. Mcmillan and ray.

IMO that's more of an accomplishment then Kobe did this year (teamwise in postseason)

Gracias!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: