Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here
Default North Carolina...

Can this team possibly be the most overrated team ever in the recent two seasons? They were ranked top 10 before the season starts and they always managed to find a way to drop out of the top 25 poll and never make it back again. Looks like another NIT trip for them this year.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: North Carolina...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Can this team possibly be the most overrated team ever in the recent two seasons? They were ranked top 10 before the season starts and they always managed to find a way to drop out of the top 25 poll and never make it back again. Looks like another NIT trip for them this year.
unfortunately

now I have to hope Harrison decides to stay in school for another year, same with John Henson.

baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
crazybob60
Can barely lace up my sneakers

crazybob60 has an OK reputation so far

I hope that they continue playing like this right through Saturday when they face UK.
crazybob60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You ask most UNC fans and we'll tell you we shouldn't have even been ranked last year in the preseason.

This year, I felt reluctant even ranking us in the top 20 preseason.

We've been ranked in the top 10 the last two preseasons because of teh name on the front of our jersey. Not because we had the talent.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybob60
I hope that they continue playing like this right through Saturday when they face UK.
we aren't even close to UK level right now lol. UNC is headed for the NIT unfortunately if that
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
You ask most UNC fans and we'll tell you we shouldn't have even been ranked last year in the preseason.

This year, I felt reluctant even ranking us in the top 20 preseason.

We've been ranked in the top 10 the last two preseasons because of teh name on the front of our jersey. Not because we had the talent.
I think it was a combination of both. UNC has more than enough talent to be a top 25 team.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
KG215

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
I think it was a combination of both. UNC has more than enough talent to be a top 25 team.

Therein lies another misconception. We have a lot of talent, yes, and probably should have been a 20-25 team last year and this year. But, we also have players that get various postseason honors, i.e, McDonald's AA, Parade All-American, etc. because those players are going to North Carolina. Larry Drew immediately comes to mind. I love Kendall Marshall, but he is another borderline/iffy McD's AA selection IMO.

This year, our frontcourt depth consists of Henson, Zeller, and Justin Knox. Knox is our only "banger" but he shouldn't be the third best big man on a legitimate top 20-25 team.

Again, I agree with you to an extent, because we should be at least flirting with the top 25 all year long, but there's not as much talent on the team as some think. Dexter Strickland hasn't found a comfort zone because he's spent too much time out of position. John Henson still isn't strong enough to be a go to big man, and he doesn't have the perimeter skills that we believed he first had when he got to UNC to play out on the floor. Leslie McDonald is a solid player, but he shouldn't have been a McDonald's All-American. His ceiling has always been very good 7th or 8th man on a good-great team.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan

top 5 even...

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Therein lies another misconception. We have a lot of talent, yes, and probably should have been a 20-25 team last year and this year. But, we also have players that get various postseason honors, i.e, McDonald's AA, Parade All-American, etc. because those players are going to North Carolina. Larry Drew immediately comes to mind. I love Kendall Marshall, but he is another borderline/iffy McD's AA selection IMO.

This year, our frontcourt depth consists of Henson, Zeller, and Justin Knox. Knox is our only "banger" but he shouldn't be the third best big man on a legitimate top 20-25 team.

Again, I agree with you to an extent, because we should be at least flirting with the top 25 all year long, but there's not as much talent on the team as some think. Dexter Strickland hasn't found a comfort zone because he's spent too much time out of position. John Henson still isn't strong enough to be a go to big man, and he doesn't have the perimeter skills that we believed he first had when he got to UNC to play out on the floor. Leslie McDonald is a solid player, but he shouldn't have been a McDonald's All-American. His ceiling has always been very good 7th or 8th man on a good-great team.

Don't be spoiled man. think of all of the teams that have way worse talent and go far with it. That team has tons of talent. Sorry, but talent is the one thing you guys DO have.

You'll get it together and be a touch matchup in the tourney. Doubt you guys make the Final 4, but I wouldn't be extremely surprised because you got a guy who is obviously an amazing talent in Barnes that just needs to get it together. Even if he's not as good as advertised, he's playing like shit when people thought he'd step in from day 1 and contribute.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:49 AM   #10
KG215

I didn't say we don't have talent. We just don't have a lot of quality depth, and we don't have the type of talent that meshes well right now. Players don't know their roles. Players couldn't figure out their roles last year and part of that falls on Roy Williams' shoulders. We do have a lot more talent than a lot of teams in the nation, but we are severly lacking a leader. We are severly lacking a few players who have a tough-minded attitude. We are severly lacking emotion and desire. All off those thigns mixed together equals a not very good team. Not right now anyway.

I'm still letting last season weigh on my mind very heavily right now, and that's why I have zero to little faith we'll get things together and even be a NCAAT team. I definitely think it's possible, I just don't have much faith it will actually happen.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
TennesseeFan
Banned

TennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this board

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTAud5O7Qqk
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
UNCNY
I airball my layups

UNCNY has an OK reputation so far

Blame falls on players,and Roy. Roy can't be stubborn,he needs to change it up. We don't have the talent to run,and gun. I think a boeheim type zone would work. Sub patterns have just been awful.
UNCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
wakencdukest
Local High School Star

wakencdukest has decent reputationwakencdukest has decent reputation

UNC needs a point guard badly. Drew ain't cuttin it.
wakencdukest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
Mathius 2.0
F*cking Morons

Mathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakencdukest
UNC needs a point guard badly. Drew ain't cuttin it.

Looked okay against Kentucky. Just needs to keep feeding the bigs.
Mathius 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
HB40TheNextStar
More like Matt Boner

HB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected poster

Roy won't play zone unless we have foul trouble.

It's many things.

1) Early departures.
-Wears transfered. Though, they never should have been recruited in the first place, they are absolutely killing us right now. Miss on Baru and Zeller, and likely miss on Chol, means we NEED Zeller and Henson to come back to school. Even then, it will still be a 3 man rotation with relying on a face-up frosh. Unless Simmons proves to be something, but I mean... A freshman walk-on. Really? Add that with Davis, Lawson, Ellington, Wright, Stepheson, and eventually it's going to catch up with you.

2) Injuries.
-Almost every school deals with injuries so I'm not going to rant on. I will say that a small foot injury at UNC seems to be a career ending every single time. For a place with such a good med school (and the GREAT dook one down the road), we sure can't heal players.

3) Recruiting.
-Not going after Wall (an instate #1 PG which we needed, who also expressed interest early in his recruitment), or Irving (Dex's teammate at St Patrick's and was interested in us early), and now not going after Purvis (#1 PG instate again, who said multiple that we was his dream school growing up). Killing us. Why Roy is looking across the country when the elite talent is home grown is beyond me.

4) Roy
-He's stubborn. Plain and simple. His player loyalty is through the roof. Frasor started over Lawson until he was injured. Ginyard until he was injured. Ginyard over Strickland until he graduated. I understand for tactical reasons on some of them (like Jawad over Marvin or Jackie in the lineup), but start the best player. And now Drew over Marshall when anyone with eyes can see the freshman outperforming the junior. Eyes, score, and +/- all lean to Marshall, but I promise you that Drew will start this season and next. He's also unwilling to change his system. Run, run, run. Will he screwed up with recruiting and the players aren't geared towards the 120 mph pace he consistently wants. And hey, how about we run screens for Barnes to get open looks so he doesn't have to create his own shot every damn time. For a HOF coach with multiple championships, I swear I could coach this team to a better record right now.

More frustrating than 8-20. Because we suck with the talent to compete. Especially in the WORST year in college basketball I have ever seen. There's so little talent this year, it's like watching high school basketball.
HB40TheNextStar is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: