Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: North Carolina...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB40TheNextStar
Roy won't play zone unless we have foul trouble.

It's many things.

1) Early departures.
-Wears transfered. Though, they never should have been recruited in the first place, they are absolutely killing us right now. Miss on Baru and Zeller, and likely miss on Chol, means we NEED Zeller and Henson to come back to school. Even then, it will still be a 3 man rotation with relying on a face-up frosh. Unless Simmons proves to be something, but I mean... A freshman walk-on. Really? Add that with Davis, Lawson, Ellington, Wright, Stepheson, and eventually it's going to catch up with you.

I agree with all of this. Except, we did get Lawson and Ellington for three years. That's more than anyone thought when we first recruited them, so I've never really counted them as an "early departure".

Quote:
2) Injuries.
-Almost every school deals with injuries so I'm not going to rant on. I will say that a small foot injury at UNC seems to be a career ending every single time. For a place with such a good med school (and the GREAT dook one down the road), we sure can't heal players.
Nodding my head furiously in agreement with this. So damn frustrating.

Quote:
3) Recruiting.
-Not going after Wall (an instate #1 PG which we needed, who also expressed interest early in his recruitment), or Irving (Dex's teammate at St Patrick's and was interested in us early), and now not going after Purvis (#1 PG instate again, who said multiple that we was his dream school growing up). Killing us. Why Roy is looking across the country when the elite talent is home grown is beyond me.
Roy wasn't ever going to go all out after Wall with Clifton being involved. I never thought we were clear leaders or had a chance to be clear leaders for Kyrie, but I'm still pretty pissed he's letting Purvis slip away. Purvis is the biggest head scratcher to me out of the bunch.

Quote:
4) Roy
-He's stubborn. Plain and simple. His player loyalty is through the roof. Frasor started over Lawson until he was injured. Ginyard until he was injured. Ginyard over Strickland until he graduated. I understand for tactical reasons on some of them (like Jawad over Marvin or Jackie in the lineup), but start the best player. And now Drew over Marshall when anyone with eyes can see the freshman outperforming the junior. Eyes, score, and +/- all lean to Marshall, but I promise you that Drew will start this season and next. He's also unwilling to change his system. Run, run, run. Will he screwed up with recruiting and the players aren't geared towards the 120 mph pace he consistently wants. And hey, how about we run screens for Barnes to get open looks so he doesn't have to create his own shot every damn time. For a HOF coach with multiple championships, I swear I could coach this team to a better record right now.
Roy's substitution patterns and lineup combos this year have bugged me more than any other time in the past. A blind man can see that our best backcourt this year is Kendall Marshall and Dexter Strickland. Yet, he's not playing them together much at all. My favorite lineup is Marshall/Strickland/Barnes (or Reggie if he's hot)/Henson/Zeller. It seems like that lineup is rarely on the floor together. It's been a dark and dirty secret about Roy for awhile, and one I tried my hardest to push to the back of my mind when my non-UNC fans were telling me otherwise, and that's that Roy isn't a very good X's and O's coach. He only wants to play on style of basketball, and refuses to adapt to his personnel. Like you said, part of Harrison's struggles this year can be attributed to the fact that he's rarely getting a shot off a screen or set play, and he's having to create almost every single one of his shots in a 1v1 situation.

Now, I'm not going to make the claim that I could coach this team to a better record, but I understand the frustration and feel most of it is warranted.

Quote:
More frustrating than 8-20. Because we suck with the talent to compete. Especially in the WORST year in college basketball I have ever seen. There's so little talent this year, it's like watching high school basketball.

Not sure if this is wore than 8-20 but at times it feels like it. I wouldn't give up on this team yet, though. From the last 5 or 6 minutes of the 1st half through the first 17 minutes of the second half, we controlled pretty much every phase of the game against Texas. The only reason Texas ever stayed in the game is because every time we scored, they would come down and hit a very tough shot...I'm talking about you Jordan Hamilton.

There was a stretch (14:00-11:00) in the second half where we had Marshall and Strickland in the backcourt together and it worked beautifully. We basically had two PG's for different situations. Strick was the transition/fastbreak PG, and Kendall was the halfcourt PG. I think we either scored or got a great look on about every possession for a 3 or 4 minute stretch. Then, Kendall goes to the bench and disappears until the last 2 minutes or so of the game.

The point is, we should have beat Texas, did beat Kentucky, and I'm seeing improvement. We still have long excruciating stretches of games where we look like a 7th grade team trying to run an halfcourt offense. But we play good halfcourt defense and our offense eventually comes most games. I also think Harrison is getting closer to really breaking out.

Last edited by KG215 : 12-23-2010 at 09:44 PM.
KG215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #17
HB40TheNextStar
More like Matt Boner

HB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected poster

I question if Harrison is close to breaking out.

I get the hype. He looked great against average competition in high school, looked great against good competition on the AAU circuits, and looked great in every other games (Mc'd, Jordan Classic, the international one, Boost Mobile), which obviously has equally great talent.

He's also shown glimpses of something special. On fire in the first against Hofstra and led the first half run against UK.

But I have two problems:

1) He has yet to put a full game together, regardless of the competition. He usually puts up a very impressive 4-5 minute stretch and then completely disappears. Someone with his amount of talent should NEVER disappear in game. Even if he isn't making an impact on scoring, I should not be watching the game and then realize, "Oh, Harrison is in the game." He's a good rebounder, but other than that, he's offered very little. Defense is spotty, hasn't shown much of an ability to create for others, hasn't even shown much of an ability to dribble the ball, doesn't get to the line, and, now, you can notice his frustration in game. The super composed, stay after games for hours to work on what went wrong, quiet demeanor kid, you can see it on his face with every bricked open jumper.

2) Kind of branching off of #1. His offense was so overrated out of high school. Mid-range like Kobe (or as much as you could for a high school kid)? Hardly. He can't make an open 3 point shot. His shot selection is horrid. But even with all of that, I would assume it's part of a slump. Clean up shot selection and eventually the open shots will fall...

However, then I notice that he is unable to create his own shot against bad mid-major teams, and that is what bothers me the most. He gets guarded by a 6'3", less athletic, guard and he has trouble creating space. I just don't understand as I've seen him create his own shot against better players before the season started. I saw him at the pro-am being guarded by CJ Leslie (who is bigger and more athletic than Harrison), and he was able to at least get good looks.

Nothing about his season, thus far, makes any sense to me. If this continues to about a third through conference play, I don't see him breaking out in his freshman season. Of course, then I would expect a massive break out as a sophomore, assuming he would comeback if he plays this poorly all season. The pressure will never go away as long as he's in college.
HB40TheNextStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
KG215

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Part of me saying I feel he is on the verge of a breakout is blind optimism. I'm like you, I just don't get it. I know he played against very average high school competition on a loaded high school team. But he looked very good in the "All-Star" circuit last spring and summer. I heard nothing but high praise from practice reports for those All-Star games. Everything we were hearing about Harrison was he was a very "special" player.

That's why I'm just as confused as anybody as to why he hasn't even had one complete dominant game, yet. He's had impressive halves, and very impressive 3-5 minute stretches. I haven't seen but 4 UNC games this year, so I don't have a great feel for anything that could be the problem. The main thing that does stick out to me is that he's not getting very many shots in the flow of the offense, and is having to create the majority of his own shots. Now, for a 6'8" F/G type player with his skill level, you wouldn't think that would be a problem. But for whatever reason, it has been.

Against Teas, on consecutive possessions in the first half, he created and made two shots that showed you how great of a player he can be. But that's the problem, it lasted two possessions than he kind of got lost, again. He did hit that HUGE game tying three against Texas that just got overshadowed (and rightfully so) by the gamewinner.

I saw things in the Kentucky and Texas game that did lead me to believe he could be on the verge of breakout.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #19
HB40TheNextStar
More like Matt Boner

HB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected poster

I badly wish Barnes could have been the one to get the last shot against Texas.

Which reminds me, that was a horribly drawn play. But I'll digress.

It would have been a incredibly difficult shot, but if Z finds Barnes at the top of the key for the game winning three, it would be one of those shots that could propel him forward. The guy looked good in the first, completely disappears all second (he wasn't even touching the ball), then nails the game tying 3. Just needed one more attempt, and we had two tries to get him the ball.

To me it feels like he needs that one dominant game, or the that one big shot. Maybe he comes up big at Cameron when he undoubtedly gets heckled like very few ever have, lol. It would be a bit late in the season, but better late than never.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #20
Mathius 2.0
F*cking Morons

Mathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
To me it feels like he needs that one dominant game, or the that one big shot.

This.
Mathius 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #21
Mathius 2.0
F*cking Morons

Mathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputationMathius 2.0 has a terrific reputation

Nice clutch 3 last night.
Mathius 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #22
BIG FURB
Serious playground baller

BIG FURB has an OK reputation so far

You guys called it, those clutch shots against miami may have given him his confidence back cause he just had his best game of the season
BIG FURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
HB40TheNextStar
More like Matt Boner

That's the clutch shot he needed, and that's the game he needed.

Black Falcon! Growing up just when we need him, too.

Henson. Man. The kid can make it impossible for an entire team to score in the paint. We need him in end of game situations. I don't care about his free throw shooting. Well I do, but the positives are much bigger than the negatives with him.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #24
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I didn't say we don't have talent. We just don't have a lot of quality depth, and we don't have the type of talent that meshes well right now. Players don't know their roles. Players couldn't figure out their roles last year and part of that falls on Roy Williams' shoulders. We do have a lot more talent than a lot of teams in the nation, but we are severly lacking a leader. We are severly lacking a few players who have a tough-minded attitude. We are severly lacking emotion and desire. All off those thigns mixed together equals a not very good team. Not right now anyway.

I'm still letting last season weigh on my mind very heavily right now, and that's why I have zero to little faith we'll get things together and even be a NCAAT team. I definitely think it's possible, I just don't have much faith it will actually happen.

I have criticized Roy Williams from Day 1. I hate his coaching style and offense. I just cant stand watching it.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #25
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

15-5 and 5-1 in the ACC
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #26
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
I have criticized Roy Williams from Day 1. I hate his coaching style and offense. I just cant stand watching it.

Well, good thing you don't make a living hiring basketball coaches. I've disagreed with Roy some this year but his track record speaks for itself.

628-160 (.798)
2 National Championships
7 Final Fours

I don't care if you don't like his style. To each his own. However, the man wins games and championships. You don't have the kind of success he's been having for 22 seasons by accident.

Now, on a different note....

For the first time this year, Barnes played with confidence for the entire game, and not just in late clock situations. That shot against Miami may have propelled him.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #27
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Well, good thing you don't make a living hiring basketball coaches. I've disagreed with Roy some this year but his track record speaks for itself.

628-160 (.798)
2 National Championships
7 Final Fours

I don't care if you don't like his style. To each his own. However, the man wins games and championships. You don't have the kind of success he's been having for 22 seasons by accident.

Now, on a different note....

For the first time this year, Barnes played with confidence for the entire game, and not just in late clock situations. That shot against Miami may have propelled him.

Since he has been at UNC has not been a great coach. That is the only coaching that concerns me. It took a lineup full of NBA players that he didnt recruit for him to get a title. But since then what has he done as a Tar Heel?

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 01-30-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #28
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Since he has been at UNC has not been a great coach. That is the only coaching that concerns me. It took a lineup full of NBA players that he didnt recruit for him to get a title. But since then what has he done as a Tar Heel?
Won a 2nd with a bunch of guys he did recruit?

His resume at Kansas wasn't just mediocre either. 9 conference championships and four Final Fours in 15 years. Winning percentage of 80.5% in those years.

Not sure if you're just talking about since he got to UNC or his coaching as a whole though. Still, he has 2 titles and one with guys he recruited since he got there.

Last edited by StateProperty : 01-30-2011 at 03:44 PM.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #29
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Won a 2nd with a bunch of guys he did recruit?

His resume at Kansas wasn't just mediocre either. 9 conference championships and four Final Fours in 15 years. Winning percentage of 80.5% in those years.

Not sure if you're just talking about since he got to UNC or his coaching as a whole though. Still, he has 2 titles and one with guys he recruited since he got there.

im talking about since he got to UNC.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #30
KG215

Quote:

This post is just full of so much fail.

What has he done since then?

This is not counting the national championship he won in 2005...

1 National Championship
2 Final Fours
1 Elite Eight
3 ACC regular season championships (which mean MUCH more than winning the ACCT and that was when the ACC was still loaded)

Even if you take away the one national championship he won with Doh's players, he still has a list of accomplishments (in just 6 seasons) that a lot of coaches would KILL for for their entire 20+ year coaching career.

You either don't follow college basketball very closely, or your dislike for Roy Williams makes you stupid.

Last edited by KG215 : 01-30-2011 at 06:11 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: