Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Red Sox acquire Adrian Gonzalez

This move pretty much solidifies Cliff Lee to the Yankees. They will give him the years and money he wants. They will probably also bring Pettitte back for another year, and will have a strong lefty rotation of: Sabathia, Lee, Pettitte.

I can also see the Yankees now making a strong run at getting Crawford. The Yankees have enough pop in their line up with ARod, Cano, Tex, and Posada. I can see them trading Swisher, and replacing his power with Crawford's speed.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #17
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
They'll lose their pick once they pick up either Crawford or Werth too though.
I wouldn't be surprised if they passed over these two guys. Well I would be, but not totally caught of guard. It would be Theo-like to just sign or trade for a low risk high reward OF, and platoon Cameron/Drew/random OF/Kalish with Ellsbury in CF. But I do hope they go after Werth. Warming up to him in Boston for some reason.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I know, I get that a lot on here, mostly because I'm a Celtic fan too.

I grew up in Southwest CT.
Where in ct?
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #19
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
Where in ct?

Bridgeport and Stratford mostly.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #20
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
I wouldn't be surprised if they passed over these two guys. Well I would be, but not totally caught of guard. It would be Theo-like to just sign or trade for a low risk high reward OF, and platoon Cameron/Drew/random OF/Kalish with Ellsbury in CF. But I do hope they go after Werth. Warming up to him in Boston for some reason.
Thats because one of the benefits of playing in Boston is that you can have a slugger in LF because he doesn't need to be a LFer. Most parks are big in LF, and require a defender in LF (Yankee stadium for example is enormous, and because of it actually plays as nearly nuetral). The Red Sox could practically get away with playing a 1B out there, which they've tried, and which is being discussed again with Youklis under the guise they'd bring back Beltre to play third (a disastrous idea when just signing Werth makes so much more sense).
There's a reason the greatest hitting LFer of all time who's head isn't literally the size of VW bug played in Boston (figuratively speaking ... his head would actually be slightly bigger than a VW Bug, as anyone who's ever read anything about him would know.)
Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #21
The GM
#ballislife

The GM is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Another wonderful move by theo, now its time for a big decision to either sign werth or possibly trade for justin upton (which would make a ton of sense if we could center a deal around papelbon and/or elisbury). I'd much perfer having a 23 year old upton (who is under contract for a while) then dishing out big cash for a 31 year old werth who could have very well already maxed out his potential; cause if papelbon is traded for upton then bard could easily slide into the closer role and we can go hard after uehara and put him as our set up man. Our line would look damn good like this:

1. CF- Elisbury
2. 2B- Pedroia
3. 1B- Gonzalez
4. 3B- Youka
5. DH- Ortiz
6. RF- Upton
7. LF- Drew
8. C- Salty
9. SS- Scuarto
The GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #22
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How's that pitching rotation looking?? If the Yanks grab Cliff Lee, there's nothing Gonzalez is going to do to help that team.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:43 AM   #23
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Another wonderful move by theo, now its time for a big decision to either sign werth or possibly trade for justin upton (which would make a ton of sense if we could center a deal around papelbon and/or elisbury). I'd much perfer having a 23 year old upton (who is under contract for a while) then dishing out big cash for a 31 year old werth who could have very well already maxed out his potential; cause if papelbon is traded for upton then bard could easily slide into the closer role and we can go hard after uehara and put him as our set up man. Our line would look damn good like this:
Forget about Upton after the Gonzalez trade. The Red Sox are not going to completely empty their farm system (which they'd have to do to get Upton). Papelbon isn't exactly a hot trade commodity either. A reliever that will be making ~$9-10 million isn't going to impress Arizona.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #24
The GM
#ballislife

The GM is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Forget about Upton after the Gonzalez trade. The Red Sox are not going to completely empty their farm system (which they'd have to do to get Upton). Papelbon isn't exactly a hot trade commodity either. A reliever that will be making ~$9-10 million isn't going to impress Arizona.

Arizona's first priority is to get a closer and I don't see how they wouldn't be atleast mildy interested in papelbon despite his down year this past season; they by far had the worst bp in the majors last year and pap is probably the best legit closer you can get that is on the market right now unless you want that headace francisco rodriquez + all the money left on his contract or a injury plaqued rafeal soriano who's gonna demand a 4 year deal worth big money. Maybe I'm being nieve but I think a high level prospect, a lower end prospect + pap could atleast make arizona think hard about it or I wouldn't even mind giving up elisbury and pap for justin cause I like what i saw from kalish last season he looks like a real good ballplayer that could start in center for us and not be hurt every other week.. theo works wonders so don't be surprised if we look into him before werth cause timmy k the other day said look for us to still try and get crawford, werth or upton.
The GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:34 AM   #25
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

TB is not going to trade Upton in the division
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #26
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
TB is not going to trade Upton in the division
Arizona. Justin Upton.

Quote:

I don't think the move makes sense now either. But if they did decide to go after Upton and trade the farm, they would have 3 first rounders and 3 comp round picks in addition to the rest of their draft picks. So they would be able to replenish it if they needed to.

Last edited by UConnCeltics : 12-05-2010 at 07:38 AM.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #27
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
This move pretty much solidifies Cliff Lee to the Yankees. They will give him the years and money he wants. They will probably also bring Pettitte back for another year, and will have a strong lefty rotation of: Sabathia, Lee, Pettitte.

I can also see the Yankees now making a strong run at getting Crawford. The Yankees have enough pop in their line up with ARod, Cano, Tex, and Posada. I can see them trading Swisher, and replacing his power with Crawford's speed.
Lee has nothing to do with this. He was going to be a Yankee regardless. I don't see the purpose of Crawford. He doesn't have that much pop in the lineup. He basically has the same impact as a Swisher, and he duplicates what Gardner does, at about 20% more impact, and 500% more price. I can't see the Yankees doing it. Crawford is redundant, slightly better production at a much higher price. Considering the Yankees nickled and dimed Jeter, as strange as it sounds, i think Crawford is too expensive.

I know someone else asked if Gonzalez swing is suited to Fenway, basically perfectly.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #28
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

Arizona is not in a position to be interested in a one year rental closer.

Any deal the Sox put together for Upton would have to be built around Bard, or Ellsbury, or seeing as their farm system is pretty much gutted now, possibly both. A team like Arizona isn't trading young for old, and a closer only has so much value on a bad team to begin with. By the time they're good enough to need a guy like Papelbon when he's got it going, he'll be long gone.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #29
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GM
Arizona's first priority is to get a closer and I don't see how they wouldn't be atleast mildy interested in papelbon despite his down year this past season; they by far had the worst bp in the majors last year and pap is probably the best legit closer you can get that is on the market right now unless you want that headace francisco rodriquez + all the money left on his contract or a injury plaqued rafeal soriano who's gonna demand a 4 year deal worth big money. Maybe I'm being nieve but I think a high level prospect, a lower end prospect + pap could atleast make arizona think hard about it or I wouldn't even mind giving up elisbury and pap for justin cause I like what i saw from kalish last season he looks like a real good ballplayer that could start in center for us and not be hurt every other week.. theo works wonders so don't be surprised if we look into him before werth cause timmy k the other day said look for us to still try and get crawford, werth or upton.

You can't possibly be serious. Papelbon makes sense for Boston, and maybe 3 other teams as a reliever. No one else in the league can afford to pay his salary unless he transitions back into a starter.

If you are the diamondbacks, would you throw 10mil at one guy to fix your bullpen AND trade away jupton just to get a reliever? Kevin Towers might as well make a tv commercial and flip off the fans.

Adrian Gonzalez, you are dead to me.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Negotiations on an extension between the Sox and Gonzalez fell through.

Doesn't mean the trade is dead, but makes it harder, bcs Sox will not want to give up as much for a guy they can't guarantee beyond 1 year and the Pads are still gonna want value.

Last edited by RaininThrees : 12-05-2010 at 05:59 PM.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: