Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 12-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Default Madness? This is...another Favre thread.

3 starts away from 300 consecutive starts (cue the oh-so clever thread title. Get it? Get it?). But he's now got an injury on his throwing shoulder on top of the ankle and whatever other injuries. Tavaris Jackson played well in his absence and the team had their best offensive showing of the season so far. Buffalo is a bad team but seeing as they were 4-7 with Favre and Favre himself has been one of the worst starters in the NFL this season the opponent being weak isn't that big a deal. Under normal circumstances I'd predict the team not going to the postseason go with the younger guy who may or may not be their future, give him a try-out with the last 4 games to see whether or not you need to get a new QB.

But...it's...Favre.

And Favre is now 3 starts away from an unheard-of number of consecutive starts for a QB, 300. The path to this milestone hasn't always been a good one, there have been times in his career when almost anyone else would sit, due either to injury or just ridiculously poor play. Who else could lead the NFL in interceptions and have the worst or one of the worst QB ratings (whatever that means) among starters and yet still not get benched? Well, Manning isn't having a good season but it's merely bad by his standards, and not truly an awful season. And he rarely does this. Favre on the other hand has had 5 bad seasons. But he still plays on.

What's funny to me about this is that this isn't Green Bay. The Vikings don't owe him anything. I kind of wonder how much Viking fans are going to care about that 300th start when they're watching it happen in the middle of the 9th or 10th loss of the season (they're about to face three straight likely playoff teams). There probably isn't a lot of love for Jackson but he's about to enter his prime and they've spent a lot of time bringing him up. Whoever the coach is next year may not like him but there's no question in my mind as to who makes more sense to start for the team going forward. They need to know if they need to go get a new starter, and they won't really know that if they're still starting Favre.

So, what do you think is more important: Allowing Favre to set a record no one even thought was going to be set, or Minnie simply thinking about the future of their own football team?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default Re: Madness? This is...another Favre thread.

This is the story that needs to go away. Seriously. Myself and most other football fans are so tired of this drama queen who consistently puts himself over the team.

I knew the former coach Brad Childress had a personal investment in keeping Favre's streak intact, and him in the game, but I figured a new regime wouldn't give a flying fart. What gives?

In any case, this team is in big time trouble going forward. They had a certain degree of luck last year, and have fallen off big time this year. Years spend feeding this ego instead of grooming a future QB have gone by the wayside.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Madness? This is...another Favre thread.

Bench him. He sucks. I mean he already has the record for most starts. The Vikings shouldn't sacrifice their future just so his record sounds better (300 as opposed to 297).

With that being said, they will probably start him since they are paying $1 million per week.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: