Hey kids! Remember how you used to laugh at the 80's for being lame and outdated? It was to the point that the expression "that's so 80's" was coined to describe anything old and past its time, even if the thing in question was actually from 1830. In comparison, the 90's were still considered recent times up until a few years ago.
Well time marches on, and now the 90's are every bit as old and lame as the 80's. Consider:
- Relatively few people had cell phones; the explosion was still 1-2 years away. Guys were still using pagers and car phones, and thought they were cool for doing so.
- VHS was still the order of the day. The DVD explosion, like the cell phone explosion, was a couple of years off.
- Flatscreen TV's and monitors were a few years off.
- Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter were unheard of.
- No one had navigation or satellite radio in their cars.
- Internet was predominantly dial-up
- WebTV was considered a good idea
- Amazon.com only sold books (lol, random, but just an example to demonstrate the internet's growth).
And so on and so forth. Feel free to add to the list.
Love the nostalgia, but I believe that we have a little too much tech in our lives right now and the 90's had that balance. Everything now is just overkill. Just to illustrate this, we have phones that have projectors in them.